Anyone applied more than 20 schools and not regret?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queenki

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I 've seen many comments that applying to 20+ school is a waste.
I just get so much nervous and keep thinking I should apply more now than later (bc it's already mid Aug)
I applied early July for most of my applications. (18 schools)
My stats aren't toooooo bad but not good either.

I am international (as of now) which makes it harder to get in.
I finally got an interview set up for the green card, so I will have it within 40-60 days.
(once I get the GC, I am considered "regular OOS student".)

I am considering applying to NOVA now and LECOM, Marquette once I get GC (bc they don't accept int at all)..It's gonna be 21 school ; (

My current list is:
Maryland
Ohio
UIC
Michigan
UCLA
UConn
Pitts
UPenn
Rutgers
Stonybrook
Oregon
Columbia
NYU
UCSF (rejected today!)
Minnesota
VCU
Temple
Case Western

3.28 s/3.37 o DAT at signature.

I feel like I maybe ok with current list one day, but feel if I don't apply more, I will regret one day.
Of course if I have unlimited money, why not apply ton more right....

Any opinions on applying more or not?
Seems like only citizens got interview invites so far...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I applied to 24 schools. It was expensive, but I felt like I needed to at the time. I certainly could have applied to less or more. I think it depends on what you feel comfortable with and if you would go anywhere that accepted you.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions! :)

Hey! I applied to 24 schools. It was expensive, but I felt like I needed to at the time. I certainly could have applied to less or more. I think it depends on what you feel comfortable with and if you would go anywhere that accepted you.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions! :)

Thanks for sharing. I feel better I am not the only one who applied like crazy. ; (
Do yo mind sharing which school you applied?

Well, I only applied to school which I will definitely attend once I get accepted. (That is why there are many far reach schools I know)
For schools like LECOM or Marquette, I couldn't apply in July bc they never accept any int and I didn't have GC interview date fixed. but now I can once I get GC soon in a month! excited.

Are you re applicant? or first time this cycle? I can see you are Engineer-career changer! My husband is Engineer too. haha.

We got similar DAT :) good luck on your cycle too! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
What state are you currently living? As soon as you get that GC and meet residency requirements, you will be eligible as Instate for certain dental schools. I applied back in 2015 as an international student, now i am reapplying as a citizen. So i understand what you are feeling. Only thing i noticed is that you applied many great schools but known as instate preferred (Stonybrook, UCLA, Ohio).

Yes, GC means a lot. The only concern I have for you is the late application issue in this cycle. If you apply about one month later, that could hurt your chance to get in significantly. Maybe just try to apply to those schools that can accept international applicants as early as you can.

What state are you currently living? As soon as you get that GC and meet residency requirements, you will be eligible as Instate for certain dental schools. I applied back in 2015 as an international student, now i am reapplying as a citizen. So i understand what you are feeling. Only thing i noticed is that you applied many great schools but known as instate preferred (Stonybrook, UCLA, Ohio).

I am currently in WI, have been living past 9 years, have been paying TAXES past 5 years, but Marquette does not give "in state" at the moment of getting GC. Marquette said, I have to spend 1 more year WITH GC at the MOMENT of application. Which means I have to get GC this Oct 2018 and applying next cycle July 2019 I am still OOS, only after Oct 2019 I will be in state. This is insane, so I am not expecting any in sate from Marquette.

Yeah, STONY and UCLA is far reach school. Uconn and Pitts and other great schools are also far reach schools too. I know ;(
I just couldn't apply to some of schools that I am not comfortable to bring my kids in the neighbor, you know as an immigrant.

It sucks to have no in-state schools after spending 9 years in US ; (

Yes, GC means a lot. The only concern I have for you is the late application issue in this cycle. If you apply about one month later, that could hurt your chance to get in significantly. Maybe just try to apply to those schools that can accept international applicants as early as you can.

I already applied to those 18 school July 2nd. I am just debating adding a few more schools.

Maybe I should just apply now to LECOM and Marquette and explain that my GC is coming soon.
Sigh. We spent $10000 and waited 2 yrs for this GC process. ;( very stressful.

I am currently in WI, have been living past 9 years, have been paying TAXES past 5 years, but Marquette does not give "in state" at the moment of getting GC. Marquette said, I have to spend 1 more year WITH GC at the MOMENT of application. Which means I have to get GC this Oct 2018 and applying next cycle July 2019 I am still OOS, only after Oct 2019 I will be in state. This is insane, so I am not expecting any in sate from Marquette.

Yeah, STONY and UCLA is far reach school. Uconn and Pitts and other great schools are also far reach schools too. I know ;(
I just couldn't apply to some of schools that I am not comfortable to bring my kids in the neighbor, you know as an immigrant.

It sucks to have no in-state schools after spending 9 years in US ; (

That is unbelievable that Marquette does that.

I already applied to those 18 school July 2nd. I am just debating adding a few more schools.

Maybe I should just apply now to LECOM and Marquette and explain that my GC is coming soon.
Sigh. We spent $10000 and waited 2 yrs for this GC process. ;( very stressful.
Don't be too stressful, you should be fine with a good DAT score. And, your GPA is not bad either. The key thing is to try to apply broadly and as early as possible. I think you should get some interviews, just be patient. Good luck!

That is unbelievable that Marquette does that.
I know right... Some states like Ohio gives in-state status instantly upon getting GC if you have been already living in the state 1+ year while working/paying taxes. I guess WI needs to learn something.....;(

Don't be too stressful, you should be fine with a good DAT score. And, your GPA is not bad either. The key thing is to try to apply broadly and as early as possible. I think you should get some interviews, just be patient. Good luck!

Yes, my first batch (18) had too many reach schools I admit.
Maybe I should add a few more now. (than later.)

Thanks!!

Jeeyoung

Just remember to keep in mind your GPA compared to the current matriculating(ed) class GPA. Not saying GPA is everything (bc its not) but some schools on your list (Columbia, Penn, UCLA, UConn) might look at your gpa and not even move forward with your app because its lower than who they MOSTLY accept. AND your int, so its even more comp for you. I'm sure youll be fine, just keep that in mind so you don't waste money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember to keep in mind your GPA compared to the current matriculating(ed) class GPA. Not saying GPA is everything (bc its not) but some schools on your list (Columbia, Penn, UCLA, UConn) might look at your gpa and not even move forward with your app because its lower than who they MOSTLY accept. AND your int, so its even more comp for you. I'm sure youll be fine, just keep that in mind so you don't waste money.

I already applied to them :) ;( I know it could be just wasting, but I just had to try.
My first Bachelor's (Fine Art)I was 4.0/4.3 GPA, but my second bachelor's I was a bit lower bc I had baby (!!) during the semester. I took DAT while working full time with raising two young kids :) so I guess number isn't ALL. I just hope for the best :)

I just got interview offer from UMN!
I am so relieved. I will still think about applying a few more in coming weeks.

Thanks for the comment!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I already applied to them :) ;( I know it could be just wasting, but I just had to try.
My first Bachelor's (Fine Art)I was 4.0/4.3 GPA, but my second bachelor's I was a bit lower bc I had baby (!!) during the semester. I took DAT while working full time with raising two young kids :) so I guess number isn't ALL. I just hope for the best :)

Congrats! I hope you get accepted :)

Congrats! You should be fine, just do it! Good luck!

I applied to around that many and didn't regret anything.

I'd rather get into dental school and start my education than risk applying another cycle, especially with tuition rising every single year and lost opportunity cost that comes with not working as a dentist for another year.

Reactions: 1 user

I'd rather get into dental school and start my education than risk applying another cycle, especially with tuition rising every single year and lost opportunity cost that comes with not working as a dentist for another year.

I am glad that there are other people like me applied like crazy lol
YES I just couldn't think about losing one year and re-applying after all these years that I have forcibly waited (due to GC issue+ baby).
My husband also agreed spending $2000 extra now is better than risking. I just felt bad that I am not good enough with application to ~10 school, but it is what it is :)

I also applied to VCU! how do you like school? how do you like neighbor?

Do you mind sharing your stats and if how many offers/acceptances you received? I see you are at VCU. I am a Virginia resident, so I am just curious as I also applied to a bunch of schools

Hi, I 've seen many comments that applying to 20+ school is a waste.
I just get so much nervous and keep thinking I should apply more now than later (bc it's already mid Aug)
I applied early July for most of my applications. (18 schools)
My stats aren't toooooo bad but not good either.

I am international (as of now) which makes it harder to get in.
I finally got an interview set up for the green card, so I will have it within 40-60 days.
(once I get the GC, I am considered "regular OOS student".)

I am considering applying to NOVA now and LECOM, Marquette once I get GC (bc they don't accept int at all)..It's gonna be 21 school ; (

My current list is:
Maryland
Ohio
UIC
Michigan
UCLA
UConn
Pitts
UPenn
Rutgers
Stonybrook
Oregon
Columbia
NYU
UCSF (rejected today!)
Minnesota
VCU
Temple
Case Western

3.28 s/3.37 o DAT at signature.

I feel like I maybe ok with current list one day, but feel if I don't apply more, I will regret one day.
Of course if I have unlimited money, why not apply ton more right....

Any opinions on applying more or not?
Seems like only citizens got interview invites so far...
Why not apply more private schools. I noticed that a lot of public schools in the list, they only accept very few OOS applicants. Try to add more private schools might be helpful! Besides, you still can apply to Marquette because you would get GC very soon, why not just catch up although they don't offer an in-state to you, it still worths doing that.

Last edited:
Why not apply more private schools. I noticed that a lot of public schools in the list, they only accept very few OOS applicants. Try to add more private schools might be helpful!

because the tuition is crazy ;( I have two young kids and I can't afford too much of tuition ( I mean I rather not to...)
So I chose mainly location (culture) + cheaper than 80k per year as much as possible. (as OOS)...

I am still considering adding LECOM and Marquette once I get GC interview date notice (and call them if I can apply now).

Last year UMN got ~130 int application, 18 interviewed, 5 enrolled.
So, I think it's not TOO bad competition from now. I will have to practice a lot of questions for UMN!

Do you mind sharing your stats and if how many offers/acceptances you received? I see you are at VCU. I am a Virginia resident, so I am just curious as I also applied to a bunch of schools

3.45 science, 3.58 overall. 20AA, 21TS. I had several thousand hours of experience in dentistry, but aside from that, I was pretty average.

I had one acceptance and that was at VCU. I had around 8 interview invites, I turned some down and went to a few. I had a blemish on my history so maybe that was why I had so few acceptances, I don't know. I'm among the top of my class so I'm glad the admissions committee gave me a chance to prove my worth.

Thanks for sharing. I feel better I am not the only one who applied like crazy. ; (
Do yo mind sharing which school you applied?

Well, I only applied to school which I will definitely attend once I get accepted. (That is why there are many far reach schools I know)
For schools like LECOM or Marquette, I couldn't apply in July bc they never accept any int and I didn't have GC interview date fixed. but now I can once I get GC soon in a month! excited.

Are you re applicant? or first time this cycle? I can see you are Engineer-career changer! My husband is Engineer too. haha.

We got similar DAT :) good luck on your cycle too! Thanks.
Kentucky, DCG, Louisville, UTHSC, UNC, UNLV, ASDOH, NYU, UAB, Loma Linda, Oregon, Creighton, Oklahoma, Rutgers, Temple, Howard, VCU, WVU, Boston, Case Western, UConn, Colorado, Indiana, and Roseman were the schools I applied to. Not saying these are the schools you should apply to, but I applied broadly with a lot of reach schools just because I wanted to at least give it my best shot.

I’m a first time applicant and had two interview invites (Colorado and DCG), but just finished my first interview at DCG today! :)

Kentucky, DCG, Louisville, UTHSC, UNC, UNLV, ASDOH, NYU, UAB, Loma Linda, Oregon, Creighton, Oklahoma, Rutgers, Temple, Howard, VCU, WVU, Boston, Case Western, UConn, Colorado, Indiana, and Roseman were the schools I applied to. Not saying these are the schools you should apply to, but I applied broadly with a lot of reach schools just because I wanted to at least give it my best shot.

I’m a first time applicant and had two interview invites (Colorado and DCG), but just finished my first interview at DCG today! :)

How was the interview? We got a few same school but mostly very different list!! LOL

I know, I also had same issue. Lots of reach school, but if you don't apply it's zero chance. We got some story to explain gpa, so not too bad.

Which state is your in state? Do you get preference for some of the schools you applied?

I wish I had any in state school ;(

Good luck on your colorado interview!!! :)

How was the interview? We got a few same school but mostly very different list!! LOL

I know, I also had same issue. Lots of reach school, but if you don't apply it's zero chance. We got some story to explain gpa, so not too bad.

Which state is your in state? Do you get preference for some of the schools you applied?

I wish I had any in state school ;(

Good luck on your colorado interview!!! :)
The DCG interview was very relaxed and was a good first one in my opinion. That is my state school, and they heavily prefer in-state applicants, so I’m happy I was in the first group.

Yeah, GPA will be the biggest thing for me haha

We’ll all get there eventually. I think you’ll do a great job at the Minnesota interview and anywhere else!