Anyone applied to NHSC scholarship Program? Can you tell me more about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pine3333

Reaction score
I am not sure when it will be a good time to apply for it. When did everyone apply for the scholarship? What challenge did you have when you were applying?

Should I apply in the same year when I apply for dental school or 1st into dental school?

Any suggestions and insights will be great :)) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure when it will be a good time to apply for it. When did everyone apply for the scholarship? What challenge did you have when you were applying?

Should I apply in the same year when I apply for dental school or 1st into dental school?

Any suggestions and insights will be great :)) Thank you!
I would apply the same year you matriculate into school if you are wanting as many years as possible. The ideal timeline is
1) apply for dental school in the summer
2) be accepted into dental school in December
3) the next March/April apply for the NHSC
4) matriculate into dental school in the fall
5) be notified of NHSC of the scholarship award by the end of September.

That is what I did and most things worked out fine for me.
No challenges while applying other than the confusing/contradicting instructions on word count for the essays (that I believe they have since clarified). Let me know if you have any other questions! We also have a thread going with current applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
I would apply the same year you matriculate into school if you are wanting as many years as possible. The ideal timeline is
1) apply for dental school in the summer
2) be accepted into dental school in December
3) the next March/April apply for the NHSC
4) matriculate into dental school in the fall
5) be notified of NHSC of the scholarship award by the end of September.

That is what I did and most things worked out fine for me.
No challenges while applying other than the confusing/contradicting instructions on word count for the essays (that I believe they have since clarified). Let me know if you have any other questions! We also have a thread going with current applicants.
Thank you for your advice! (I saw the thread for NHSC! Thank you for letting me know :) ) Do you have the option to choose or have a preference of X number of years you will like to serve?

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice! (I saw the thread for NHSC! Thank you for letting me know :) ) Do you have the option to choose or have a preference of X number of years you will like to serve?
Yes. Part of that is how many years you are eligible for, part of that is choice.

Say you don’t apply until your 1st year of school. If you wait until then, you are only eligible for 3 years because of how the application cycle works out. If you apply before you start, you have the choice of up to 4.

The part that is your choice is that you can choose as few or as many years as you want up to what you are eligible for. Say you apply before school and you are eligible for 4 years. You can choose all 4 years, or just do 3 or even 2. If you do that and you decide later that you want all 4 years, you can apply again for the scholarship, and you will most likely get it, but you have to go through the trouble of another application. The issue is that you can’t choose as you go. The decision has to be made up front at the beginning.

I hope that makes sense!