Anyone applied more than twice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomedayDentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just checking to hear from those who are applying for their third or more time this application cycle? Any advice? Do you think we are a minority or a majority? Do you think the fact that we keep applying is a plus? Or the fact that we haven't got in yet is a negative to schools?

Members don't see this ad.

SomedayDentist said:
Just checking to hear from those who are applying for their third or more time this application cycle? Any advice? Do you think we are a minority or a majority? Do you think the fact that we keep applying is a plus? Or the fact that we haven't got in yet is a negative to schools?

Much of how a school views applicants who apply mulitple times is dependent on what you have done during the years you have tried to get in. Have you improved in some areas that you were defficient in, such as taking more science class, graduate degree, improved DAT scores or GPA, more experience shadowing or assisting, provided community service, or worked on becoming the type of applicant schools want in their program.

If you have applied multiple times for the sake of applying mulitiple times in hopes they will see your persistance (without working on your areas of needed improvement), I think it hurts you more than helps. It shows a disregard for the profession and their advice.

It boils down to "what have you done over the last few application cycles to show "us" you deserve a seat in class. You weren't accepted for a reason, so have you worked on those reasons. I am saying this as someone who has applied multiple times so don't take it personal. I am in a similiar boat in terms of applying more than once. During interviews or in letters they send to you, they note areas of suggested improvement. This goes in your permanent file and they refer to it to see if you have worked on those areas. Good luck to us!! :thumbup:

is this your third time applying? or are you just curious? i would say reappying for the third time is probably a minority. and that people applying three times probably feel pretty confident about being accepted in order to do it 3 times. the dentist that i work for, applied three times. the first time he applied is during his second year in college, he knew he wouldn't have the prerequsites done in time, but he just wanted to let them know that he was serious about D-school. the second time he applied was during his junior year. they interviewed him but denied his acceptance for that year. however, they said that if he applied again he will be accepted. he applied for the third time during his senior year and got accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep....this is my third year to apply. The past two years I've been on an alternate list each year.

SomedayDentist said:
Yep....this is my third year to apply. The past two years I've been on an alternate list each year.

Same here.

what are your stats if u dont' mind telling?

Garry11 said:
what are your stats if u dont' mind telling?

Yes, I would like to know too.

SomedayDentist said:

let me guess... NYU's waiting list?? been there.

it is my 3rd time applying... but this time i am getting master in molecular biology from a big name university.
best of luck to everyone.