anyone applying for Doris Duke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heartolgist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
who else is applying? any idea on how many applicants the program gets or what the odds are?

Members don't see this ad.

for people who applied, did you get a confirmation email or anything from any of the schools?

I applied but I didnt get any confirmation from any of the schools . I applied to 8 of them. But the tracking shows that all the deliveries were signed and accepted. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone mind sharing what schools u got confirmation from? ive heard back from unc, sinai, pitt

anyone mind sharing what schools u got confirmation from? ive heard back from unc, sinai, pitt

UPitt
Columbia
MSSM
UI (interview)
Not UTSW

These are the only ones that I applied to. I know the list seems eclectic, but I had specific reasons for applying to each one.

The only interview invites that I know went out are UPenn and UI. I hope this helps.

UPitt
Columbia
MSSM
UI (interview)
Not UTSW

These are the only ones that I applied to. I know the list seems eclectic, but I had specific reasons for applying to each one.

The only interview invites that I know went out are UPenn and UI. I hope this helps.
I had kinda written off DDCF awhile ago, but I didn't know Pitt participated until I saw it here. As I've looked around, I see that Pitt's got a lot going on in CV and Resus, both of which I'm getting interested in. Why did you apply there? PM me if you want.

Thanks.

I had kinda written off DDCF awhile ago, but I didn't know Pitt participated until I saw it here. As I've looked around, I see that Pitt's got a lot going on in CV and Resus, both of which I'm getting interested in. Why did you apply there? PM me if you want.

Thanks.

UPitt and JHU were added recently to the Doris Duke sites.

It wasn't as much the school's CV, etc. that drew me to apply...I am hoping to work with one specific investigator. If I'm accepted there, I know I can finish quite a bit in 1 year working with him.

UPitt and JHU were added recently to the Doris Duke sites...
Good to know.
...I am hoping to work with one specific investigator...If I'm accepted there, I know I can finish quite a bit in 1 year working with him.
I understand. If I was meeting with prospective mentors, I'd state up front that I want to be working on at 3-4 projects at any given time for the entire year (i.e., one starting up, one in the testing phase, one being written up).
...It wasn't as much the school's CV, etc. that drew me to apply...
Just for clarification, CV = cardiovascular.

d

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Im sure this is different for each school, but do you know about how many students interview at these Doris Duke programs? I received interview invites from Iowa and Penn (nothing yet from others, altho I did get a confirmation from UCSF, Pitt, and nothing from UNC and UTSW) and am wondering how many students (excluding/including students from the Doris Duke school) will also be interviewing...Thanks!

I'm not sure anyone knows this except the program directors. It was asked last year too and nobody seemed to know the answer.

I'm a little worried that the number of spots they offer is based on how much money they have earned in interest on an endowment. If that's the case, and with the market being the way it is right now, things could get mighty competitive this year! :laugh:

Hey guys,

Im sure this is different for each school, but do you know about how many students interview at these Doris Duke programs? I received interview invites from Iowa and Penn (nothing yet from others, altho I did get a confirmation from UCSF, Pitt, and nothing from UNC and UTSW) and am wondering how many students (excluding/including students from the Doris Duke school) will also be interviewing...Thanks!

Do you mind me asking when you got a confirmation from UCSF? I never got one... only got one from Columbia. Thanks.

thought i would add the schools i have applied to as well. I cast a fairly wide net...

iowa
utsw
ucsf
penn
johns hopkins
pitt
harvard
unc
mount sinai

i have received an interview offer from iowa.

Good luck to everybody!!

d

Last edited:
Hey!

About UCSF confirmation:

I had (through email) inquired if they had received my app...then, I got a call late one evening a few weeks ago (say the day after the application due date) confirming receipt of my app. I'm sure they've received the apps but it doesn't seem they confirm.

Has anyone gotten any confirmation from UNC, UTSW, or any update/word on Pitt?

Pitt does not have in person/phone interviews. They will notify in March. UTSW will phone interview you at random times, typically in March. I think UNC is the same as Pitt.

Pitt does not have in person/phone interviews. They will notify in March. UTSW will phone interview you at random times, typically in March. I think UNC is the same as Pitt.

In addition WashU does not interview. However you have to write a research proposal and they are willing to fly you out to St. Louis to meet with your mentor, and sit in on a Doris Duke meeting and meet some of the current fellows if you want. They let you know in March if you were accepted.