Anyone applying to 6-year Irish meds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meese

MS I
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who out there is trying this fall for 2003 entry to the full 6-year Irish med programs.....

Any NA's in post-secondary who are applying? I'm going into 3rd year undergrad....i just found out yesterday that we have to send high school transcripts as well! Did anyone else know this?

Anyway, let me know if you are in the same boat, and how your application is going! I'd love to hear what made you decide on the 6-year program, and what your thoughts are on this process.....

:D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm obviously not 6 year, but meese..the reason they don't care about your undergrad gpa is because the 6 year program is an undergraduate course. That kinda negates the undergrad you're doing now (since you will not be completing your degree in Canada if you go into the 6 year program), so they view it as you starting as a freshman. Just like getting into college, what they want are high school grades.

Visit the huge ireland thread in this forum, there are a couple 6-year students, some out of high school and some who quit college to attend med school in ireland.

Hey, yeah, I know that I will be applying to enter with Irish high school leavers, and that North Americans can start right out of high school as well....but I guess I just figured that I would be applying with my most recent grades, that is, my uni gpa.

leorl, you mentioned that hs grades are the particularly important ones...do you know if they disregard post-secondary completely (which kinda wouldn't make sense)? I have looked through the Irish thread and can't really find anything addressing this..hmm, although I could have missed it -- it is a ginormous amount of reading! :eek:
I don't actually really care if I leave here with a 3-year degree instead of my honours, but I will be a bit disappointed if the adcom doesn't even look at my university work!

If there is anyone out there who has already gone through the process of applying to 6-year meds from university, please please post and help out. It'd be great to know what you've learned.

Marisa

p.s. thanks for the input leorl, you are always a great help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of pure curiosity does anyone have a link to this program? Although I am personally a pre-dent my lil' sister is quickly coming up the ranks and I would like to give her some info/ about it. Gracias.

Centrum, you can find info. off the sites of the medical schools. RCSI is www.rcsi.ie, Trinity is www.tcd.ie, etc etc etc. The links to these schools can be found of the Atlantic Bridge website, which is www.atlanticbridge.com. AB is the organization that handles North American applications to ireland, and they handle both graduate entry students and undergraduate students.

Meese, they probably don't disregard them totally, although I can't tell you a percentage of how the gpa's weigh out or anything.

why thank you leorl.