Irish GPs working in emergency departments

Started by calas
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

calas

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read this interesting article about Cork University Hospital contacting GPs across the city, "urging them to sign up for shifts in the A&E."

I'm curious under what capacity or level Irish GPs can work in Irish emergency departments in general, and how frequent this is.

Certainly there is more to it than just "signing up for shifts"?

I would imagine that in more rural areas it could be harder to get emergency trained physicians, and GPs perhaps are providing the emergency care, but could someone fill in the gaps regarding the rules for doing this, and how it works in practise?