Anyone applying to UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IllinoisStudent said:
It's not much of a secondary. Pretty easy one.

http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/supplemental

Thanks, I haven't submitted AMCAS yet, but I thought I'd get a start on the secondary...

:luck: to everyone

Just checked it... it was the same one from last year. No essay or anything-- or did I just miss it?

Members don't see this ad.

GBFKicks said:
Thanks, I haven't submitted AMCAS yet, but I thought I'd get a start on the secondary...

:luck: to everyone

Just checked it... it was the same one from last year. No essay or anything-- or did I just miss it?

No huge essays like "relate an experience where you truly helped someone" or "what are you academic weaknesses"

Just small little blurbs like "what awards have you won" and "what have you overcome" and "what fields of medicine are you interested in"

DrThom said:
No huge essays like "relate an experience where you truly helped someone" or "what are you academic weaknesses"

Just small little blurbs like "what awards have you won" and "what have you overcome" and "what fields of medicine are you interested in"

Yeah, it's weird, because I expected it to be at least a little bit different, but it's the exact same application from last year--they didn't even change the "this site was updated..." date on it.

I got last year's link from someone at the office of admissions and he told me that last year's appliacation would be very similar... didn't know it was going to be the exact same thing....

Members don't see this ad :)
sweet!

But I don't understand why the hell they ask about courses and ECs in the seconddaries.. That is just dumb. I spent so much time filling that out in the AMCAS. :mad:

bloHaZaRd said:
sweet!

But I don't understand why the hell they ask about courses and ECs in the seconddaries.. That is just dumb. I spent so much time filling that out in the AMCAS. :mad:

I agree, that is annoying. They could just as easily look at AMCAS.

I agree, I am getting super annoyed filling out what classes I took (I've had to do it on several) and what ECs I've done. What is the point of doing AMCAS if they aren't even looking at it? :confused:
I thought about writing "look a my friggin AMCAS application or my transcripts if you want to know what I've been doing!!" but then I thought that might not fly... :smuggrin:

OTheHorror said:
No One Is Applying!

No One Is!

I got an email from them today asking me to apply.

Hmmmm.

i just recieved a secondary from UIC yesterday....I'ts pretty long! :eek:

preetster said:
i just recieved a secondary from UIC yesterday....I'ts pretty long! :eek:

Which secondary are you talking about????

Have you met my friend "Rush"????

flighterdoc said:
I got an email from them today asking me to apply.

Hmmmm.

Was it for their MD/PhD program? Everyone who scores well on the MCAT gets that, I think.

skiz knot said:
Was it for their MD/PhD program? Everyone who scores well on the MCAT gets that, I think.

Yeah. Not interested in the MD/PHD program though.

Section IV thru IX of UIC secondary are optional. Did you fill out all of them? I am thinking about filling some of them, but not alll. Will it help to fill all of them?

IllinoisStudent said:
Section IV thru IX of UIC secondary are optional. Did you fill out all of them? I am thinking about filling some of them, but not alll. Will it help to fill all of them?

Well, it can't hurt you...

Members don't see this ad :)
At the end there's a quesion that asks:

"In your lifetime, list the number of years in which your family annual gross income was less than $16,700"

My family moved to the US in 2000. Our household income before that is < $3,000 after converting it in dollars, but it isn't considered low from where I came from.

How should I go about answering this quesition?

I am also wondering about how to answer this question. When my father was completing his surgery residency in the mid-1970s, he was earning about $10,000 per year (the avg salary for a surgery resident back then). I was born while he was still in training, and my parents and I lived solely off his income as a resident for a couple years until he started his private practice. Would it be inaccurate of me to mark anything down for this question? I mean, he was obviously making good money after he started practicing, but we were technically living off less than 16 grand per year for a little while there...

bloHaZaRd said:
At the end there's a quesion that asks:

"In your lifetime, list the number of years in which your family annual gross income was less than $16,700"

My family moved to the US in 2000. Our household income before that is < $3,000 after converting it in dollars, but it isn't considered low from where I came from.

How should I go about answering this quesition?

Fusion said:
I am also wondering about how to answer this question. When my father was completing his surgery residency in the mid-1970s, he was earning about $10,000 per year (the avg salary for a surgery resident back then). I was born while he was still in training, and my parents and I lived solely off his income as a resident for a couple years until he started his private practice. Would it be inaccurate of me to mark anything down for this question? I mean, he was obviously making good money after he started practicing, but we were technically living off less than 16 grand per year for a little while there...

Well, I think that they would see throught that... I'm guessing that you are an older applicant. You could say whatever you wanted on the application, and it might give you a better chance, but it also might hurt your application.
As far as converting foreign salaries to Dollars-- I think they mean while in the United States.... But again, you can try whatever you want on the application.

The thing is, I don't think they are asking for what you guys are talking about. Given that you are talking about a school that accepts many students of sorts, they will probably have dealt with many of the same types of applications and will see through it.

If you think you are really deserving... hey, that is your right....
:luck:

Yeah, I will probably skip that question, as I don't think that it applies to me. Believe it or not, my dad did residency in in the U.S. (Chicago). That's what surgery residents got paid back then, though the cost of living was way lower than it is today, even in the big cities.

what are out of state chances @ UIC?

anyone have the match lisT?

choocoman said:
what are out of state chances @ UIC?

anyone have the match lisT?

I read that UIC accepts around 90% in state so that leaves about 30 spots for out of staters.

Why you would want to go to UIC out-of-state, I don't know. Tuition is HIGH out of state and there are better "out-of-state friendly" state schools to apply to (like U Mich, but don't apply there because then I will have to kill you).

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone in-state still has not received an invite from UIC. I have a 30, 3.6 BCPM, 3.67 overall, so I'm not too worried, but just wondering if anyone else out is in the same boat.

liebs3 said:
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone in-state still has not received an invite from UIC. I have a 30, 3.6 BCPM, 3.67 overall, so I'm not too worried, but just wondering if anyone else out is in the same boat.

Why don't u call them? I know ppl. w/ lower stats than urs who have got secondaries.

I'm applying to UIC and I live in CT. I got my secondary about a week ago under the heading "root." I was a bit weired out by the heading and wasn't quite sure if it was spam or something.

How's everyone doing out there? I'm new to this forum. I'm all excited, can you tell :D !

I got the invite to fill out the secondary today, but I haven't even taken the MCAT yet. I thought the word on the street was that UIC screened? Did my gpa, PS, post-sec experiences alone make the cut?

redruby said:
I got the invite to fill out the secondary today, but I haven't even taken the MCAT yet. I thought the word on the street was that UIC screened? Did my gpa, PS, post-sec experiences alone make the cut?

First, I think there is no real screening for practical purposes, if at all.

I think they screened u on the basis of GPA alone. U can call the office if u want the details.

aryan said:
I'm applying to UIC and I live in CT. I got my secondary about a week ago under the heading "root." I was a bit weired out by the heading and wasn't quite sure if it was spam or something.

How's everyone doing out there? I'm new to this forum. I'm all excited, can you tell :D !

I had the same problem last year. Sender was root. No subject. Why I opened it is still a mystery to me.

redruby said:

You've never taken the MCAT or you told AMCAS that you're taking the Aug MCAT again?

That's kind of weird...

I'm taking the MCAT for the first time in August.

are you guys joking about the "root" subject w/o a header. I think my ******* might have deleted it, thinking its spam. tell me you kidding please! F' UIC if thats true

no joke Derf!

Oh yeah F UIC.

Skiz Knot UIC class of 2008:laugh:

derf said:
are you guys joking about the "root" subject w/o a header. I think my ******* might have deleted it, thinking its spam. tell me you kidding please! F' UIC if thats true

'tis true. The email with the secondary says the sender was "root"

I have a question I got this email from UIC and it was like your applicant status page which says that they sent me a secondary but, I haven't gotten it,,, is the application is online? All I have is a dinky password and nothing else! It takes me to this page that has all my info on it and it says that they sent me a secondary, man that's why I was freaking out. There is no form no questions nothing, I'll call them tomorrow. I thought it looked way to easy. Thanks for the post God damn I hope I didn't delete it thinking it was spam too!! AHHH!

kiahs said:
I have a question I got this email from UIC and it was like your applicant status page which says that they sent me a secondary but, I haven't gotten it,,, is the application is online? All I have is a dinky password and nothing else! It takes me to this page that has all my info on it and it says that they sent me a secondary, man that's why I was freaking out. There is no form no questions nothing, I'll call them tomorrow. I thought it looked way to easy. Thanks for the post God damn I hope I didn't delete it thinking it was spam too!! AHHH!

Hey, if you got the email for the status page then I bet you are good to go to fill out the secondary. The email is simply a technicality. I believe you are looking for this:

http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/supplemental

Yeah, similar situation happened to me. I deleted the ambiguous "root" e-mail. I e-mailed UIC and they just sent me the link to the secondary, nothing else really in the e-mail. You can e-mail them and ask, but most likely, you'll get the link that is already available.

what did u say in your email to them?? i think i might have deleted it also...

I just said that I may have deleted the e-mail by accident and if this was the case, I would appreciate it if they sent me another. Nothing too lengthy.

GBFKicks said:
What are your other stats and ECs like?

Anyone else get a secondary from UIC without taking the MCAT?

My stats are not stellar, in fact, I am slightly below or at average for both overall and BCPM gpa, but I am an IL resident and went to Northwestern, if that helped at all. EC's are pretty good, 4 years of volunteering, 4 years of research, leadership, grants and fellowships, really good clinical experience.

It seems if they have cut-off's for gpa's or whatever, I probably made the cut that way.

illinoisresident,
The website makes it seem like UIC is a terrible/horrible school and that is not true. I admit that I don't know much about the UIC undergrad, but please let not equate UIC undergrad with the Medical/graduate school.
Yes, we do have do deal some bulls**** at the medical school, UIC will give you an excellent clinical experience and that, my friend, I find to be the most important.

IllinoisStudent said:
I can't believe that the thread for UIC became this long.

Go UIC!!

http://www.uicsucks.org/

Yeah, no kidding... most UIC threads are short and die out pretty soon.

That website is hilarious, because most of that stuff is true-- but it applies to undergrad. UIC definitely has its issues.

On a better note, mid August our website will be up.... www.827miller.com we're going to post parties and stuff going on around campus. There's nothing on there right now, but it will be worth checking out if you guys do come to UIC and ever want to check out the party scene here.

And what's up with the 3 semesters of social science/behavioral science? Damn, should have double checked that requirement b4 putting in AMCAS. The only other school I know that has such a requirement is Johns Hopkins, and for them it's only one. I figured I could take one class this year. I'm not taking 3 just for one school. UIC, first school off my list this year.

chopper said:
And what's up with the 3 semesters of social science/behavioral science? Damn, should have double checked that requirement b4 putting in AMCAS. The only other school I know that has such a requirement is Johns Hopkins, and for them it's only one. I figured I could take one class this year. I'm not taking 3 just for one school. UIC, first school off my list this year.

They aren't too hardcore about that requirement. Most people get away with not having the three semesters. I don't know exactly how people do this because I am an anthropology major (so I have the requirement fulfilled), but people definitely get in without that.
What I'm saying is that you shouldn't cross out UIC just because of that requirement--maybe somone on SDN can tell you how they got away from that requirement.
:luck:

Thanks GBF. Maybe I'll call them and see. I do like the school, and would like to stay in Chicago.
chop

DoctorG said:
illinoisresident,
The website makes it seem like UIC is a terrible/horrible school and that is not true. I admit that I don't know much about the UIC undergrad, but please let not equate UIC undergrad with the Medical/graduate school.
Yes, we do have do deal some bulls**** at the medical school, UIC will give you an excellent clinical experience and that, my friend, I find to be the most important.

Doc G, I love UIC. I just think that the website is funny. And I could care less about such websites. UIC is not in the top 50 according to U.S. News Rankings, but i could care less. I know physicians from that school have excellent clinical skills. All UIs faithfully serve IL residents unlike some other schools in the state.

out of stater! just recieved secondary invite today!
kid.

I attend UW-Madison and I don't know a lot about IL schools. Where does an out-of-stater have a good chance?

carrieq said:
I attend UW-Madison and I don't know a lot about IL schools. Where does an out-of-stater have a good chance?

Do you mean here in Illinois?

UIC takes mostly Illinois residents. Rush takes a great deal of Illinois residents. And, it's my belief that U of C takes quite a few Illinois residents for a private school of its caliber. With that said, I think that out-of-states have just as good of a chance in any school other than UIC or maybe Rush.