Anyone applying to University of Texas (Austin)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starrfishes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to UT (Austin, Texas)? And does anyone know what the chances are of applying if you're an out-of-state student? I looked at the stats on their official website and it's scaring me! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I read that they only take 10% out-of-state, so I imagine (and this is purely speculation) that you will have to be stellar to get the nod. But I don't know that for sure. If I did, I wouldn't have bothered to apply (because I am not stellar :eek: ).

starrfishes said:
Anyone applying to UT (Austin, Texas)? And does anyone know what the chances are of applying if you're an out-of-state student? I looked at the stats on their official website and it's scaring me! :eek:

I am applying to UT this year

Members don't see this ad :)
Rxbound said:
Hey! I read that they only take 10% out-of-state, so I imagine (and this is purely speculation) that you will have to be stellar to get the nod. But I don't know that for sure. If I did, I wouldn't have bothered to apply (because I am not stellar :eek: ).

Oh yes, you're definately right! And 10% is also a very small number. Sigh* During the last time I was looking at their stats, I was also told, by a career services counselor that, there wasn't anyone who ever applied at my school that got accepted to UT. She said it was unlikely unless you had superb grades! That was a bit discouraging, because I'm nowhere near the cream of the crop. :oops: But anyhow, good luck and I hope Rxbound gets in!

sweetmurphy said:
I am applying to UT this year, and I am in Dallas, TX - When I looked at their stats I was pretty surprised too because I went there for undergrad and there were many people from all over the south - I didn't think they were partial to instaters! :( I'm sorry! But if you do decide to apply there, my friend who goes there told me that they are really all about looking at the applicant as a whole, so you could get in and have a not so great gpa and apparently pcats are not given much importance at all. Well good luck! :thumbup:

UT is one of my dream schools! That's cool that you live in Dallas. Thanks for your reply! I should have went there for my undergrad, dang you're so lucky! My instincts arre telling me that a really good PCAT score is needed to be considered. What do you mean by 'not so great gpa'? What's the range for that? When looking at their stats on their website, their avg. G.P.A. seems to be quite high and so are the PCATs! :eek:

Good luck sweetmurphy, hope you definately get in!

starrfishes said:
UT is one of my dream schools! That's cool that you live in Dallas. Thanks for your reply! I should have went there for my undergrad, dang you're so lucky! My instincts arre telling me that a really good PCAT score is needed to be considered. What do you mean by 'not so great gpa'? What's the range for that? When looking at their stats on their website, their avg. G.P.A. seems to be quite high and so are the PCATs! :eek:

Good luck sweetmurphy, hope you definately get in!

Well I am not sure how much of this is true considering it is all through different people's opinions. My friend told me that the PCAT is not considered a significant factor, however your extracurriculars are looked at a lot more. I had two friends last year who got interviews at UT with a 2.9 and 3.0 cummulative, so I know they are looking at the more well rounded individual. I think one got in. The weird thing is that I think a lot of people from texas are intimidated by applying to UT. When I went to take my PCAT, almost all the people I met there (in Houston) were applying to all the schools in TX except UT. Anyways, I don't really have a range for a "not so great" gpa but I'm just trying to tell you that don't get discouraged if you have a lower gpa than you wanted because from what I hear UT looks at more than just gpa. They might have an average gpa of 3.6, but when you look at the AVERAGE gpa- there are going to be a lot of 4.0's that are pulling it up and still a lot of 3.0's that are making up for it, so you can't completely go on the average gpa listed. Thanks for the good wishes star, I really hope you get in too! :)

im applying to ut and uh right now. eekkk! i just got all of my application stuff in on monday! im very intimidated because i am just a sophomore over at a&m. good luck to everyone. :D

dana92085 said:
im applying to ut and uh right now. eekkk! i just got all of my application stuff in on monday! im very intimidated because i am just a sophomore over at a&m. good luck to everyone. :D

That's awesome! Good luck, dana92085. I wish the application process for out-of-state transfers would be only a one-step procedure, it's more involved than I thought.

sweetmurphy said:
Well I am not sure how much of this is true considering it is all through different people's opinions. My friend told me that the PCAT is not considered a significant factor, however your extracurriculars are looked at a lot more. I had two friends last year who got interviews at UT with a 2.9 and 3.0 cummulative, so I know they are looking at the more well rounded individual. I think one got in. The weird thing is that I think a lot of people from texas are intimidated by applying to UT. When I went to take my PCAT, almost all the people I met there (in Houston) were applying to all the schools in TX except UT. Anyways, I don't really have a range for a "not so great" gpa but I'm just trying to tell you that don't get discouraged if you have a lower gpa than you wanted because from what I hear UT looks at more than just gpa. They might have an average gpa of 3.6, but when you look at the AVERAGE gpa- there are going to be a lot of 4.0's that are pulling it up and still a lot of 3.0's that are making up for it, so you can't completely go on the average gpa listed. Thanks for the good wishes star, I really hope you get in too! :)

My G.P.A. is a 3.09...but the thing is, I also have nine more pre-req classes to complete, which I won't be able to complete until July '06 (at the same time of receiving my degree). So, if I do decide to apply this year, I don't think they'd have the grade results for those pre-req classes at the time of the application review.They also recommend the June and Oct. PCATs which I don't have either (I won't be taking it until Jan '06). So yikes!! I guess I won't be applying!

In the meantime, the clock is ticking away. The application process for external transfers is a two-step procedure: apply to the UT's College of Natural Sciences as a transfer first, and then one is allowed to complete the UT pharmacy application. So anyone interested, apply early.

Thanks again for your input sweetmurphy, I really do appreciate it.

Hi! I am an out-of-state UT Austin applicant, too! Those who are already attending UT Austin, when did you receive your interview invites? Since the application deadline is 3/1...that means the interviews will be at around April?

Good luck everyone!

I live in South TX and applying to UT among others. It is very true they are looking at much more than gpa & PCAT. Had a friend apply last year:

3.75 gpa
97% PCAT
BS in something to do with music
member of science clubs, etc.
pharm tech certification
applied early Nov
interviewed in April
didn't get accepted

It's very hard to tell what exactly they are looking for. I personally feel it just comes down to how you click with your interviewer.

redroses2006 said:
Hi! I am an out-of-state UT Austin applicant, too! Those who are already attending UT Austin, when did you receive your interview invites? Since the application deadline is 3/1...that means the interviews will be at around April?

Good luck everyone!

I think you can search it from last year, but from what I remember their interviews spanned from April to June. The decisions were really late, so be prepared. You'll probably hear from everyone else before UT. I'm a UT alum and applying to the pharmacy program there, so hopefully some nice UT pharmacy student will answer your question. :)

PharmDeb said:
I live in South TX and applying to UT among others. It is very true they are looking at much more than gpa & PCAT. Had a friend apply last year:

3.75 gpa
97% PCAT
BS in something to do with music
member of science clubs, etc.
pharm tech certification
applied early Nov
interviewed in April
didn't get accepted

It's very hard to tell what exactly they are looking for. I personally feel it just comes down to how you click with your interviewer.

That's some very good stats you listed there! You're right, sometimes, it isn't so predictable.

This is just my thought, but I feel that UT Austin is a bit overrated...can someone who attends UT Austin tell me what is so great about this school? It's 2nd in nation according to U.S. News but I really don't see why...

I think I am just very frustrated with the whole application process. I am an out-of-state applicant so I know there is about < 3% chance of getting in there... :(

So current UT Austin students, please share your experience about your school in terms of opportunities available for clinical exposure, curriculum, relationship with professors...

Thanks!

redroses2006 said:
This is just my thought, but I feel that UT Austin is a bit overrated...can someone who attends UT Austin tell me what is so great about this school? It's 2nd in nation according to U.S. News but I really don't see why...

I think I am just very frustrated with the whole application process. I am an out-of-state applicant so I know there is about < 3% chance of getting in there... :(

So current UT Austin students, please share your experience about your school in terms of opportunities available for clinical exposure, curriculum, relationship with professors...

Thanks!

I only went there for my undergrad, but I thought it was an amazing institution. UT's plus points are research and it's faculty I think. I'm not sure how the rankings were made, but if they were affected by how much money the university got from research grants...etc..then I see how it is number 2. I'm sure it is a little overrated. If you're just wanting to do retail then UT probably really over prepares you- thats what my pharmacist said who graduated from UT. As for relationship with professors, during my undergrad it was realllly hard to be good friends with your prof especially in a class of 600 students- but I'm sure the pharmacy school is much closer knit than that(with a class of 130). I hope this helps?

sweetmurphy said:
I only went there for my undergrad, but I thought it was an amazing institution. UT's plus points are research and it's faculty I think. I'm not sure how the rankings were made, but if they were affected by how much money the university got from research grants...etc..then I see how it is number 2. I'm sure it is a little overrated. If you're just wanting to do retail then UT probably really over prepares you- thats what my pharmacist said who graduated from UT. As for relationship with professors, during my undergrad it was realllly hard to be good friends with your prof especially in a class of 600 students- but I'm sure the pharmacy school is much closer knit than that(with a class of 130). I hope this helps?

Thank you sweetmurphy for the encouraging post! This makes me feel better about submitting 2 separate applications and app fees... :rolleyes:

redroses2006 said:
Thank you sweetmurphy for the encouraging post! This makes me feel better about submitting 2 separate applications and app fees... :rolleyes:

I had to submit 2 apps to UT and pay 2 app fees as well, and I was just giving you whatever information I knew of that YOU asked for. Your sarcasm isn't appreciated. I am also applying out of state to schools that accept few non residents, but I am not whining. You already know that UT prefers TX residents, you don't have to apply there if you think your chances are bleak.

sweetmurphy said:
I had to submit 2 apps to UT and pay 2 app fees as well, and I was just giving you whatever information I knew of that YOU asked for. Your sarcasm isn't appreciated. I am also applying out of state to schools that accept few non residents, but I am not whining. You already know that UT prefers TX residents, you don't have to apply there if you think your chances are bleak.

Umm...I wasn't being sarcastic...I really appreciated your post...I sincerely apologize if you felt offended...

redroses2006 said:
Umm...I wasn't being sarcastic...I really appreciated your post...I sincerely apologize if you felt offended...

Ooops I'm sorry I misunderstood you :( Sorry about it...good luck with everything :p

does anyone when they 1st start interviewing? i know that i wont be until the end probably (if i get an interview) because they have to wait for my fall 2005 grades. keeping optimistic though. :)

feb is when they start.