Anyone attend NYLF medicine??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ThisIsYourLife

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I upped the thread in the md forum.. but wanted to know if any of my fellow pre-do's are former NYLFers! lol. I attended Chicago in 2002.. Cori group!
 
I upped the thread in the md forum.. but wanted to know if any of my fellow pre-do's are former NYLFers! lol. I attended Chicago in 2002.. Cori group!

i posted in the MD section...... i was at UCLA in '04 and still keep in touch with a few of the people in my group..group "spock" 🙂
 
yeah i cross posted because i dont really know if many people look at both forums.. and im really interested in who went! how did you like ucla nylf? mine was OK.. it was fun, but our group was the ONLY group that didn't get to view a surgery. talk about bummer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is NYLF?

National Youth Leadership Forum. I went to the NYLF Medicine at UCLA in high school, summer of 2002. It was pretty awesome because you get to hang out with doctors and other pre-med students and take tours of hospitals. Some get to watch surgeries and stuff. I never saw a surgery while I was there but I got to take part in some cool neurosci research and our group also shadowed a radiologist and he played around with the ultrasound machine and we basically all got tours of our bodies :laugh:. Overall NYLF was a pretty cool experience.
 
Wow.. I haven't thought about my NYLF days in a while. I went to the NYLF at Villanova University during the summer of 2002, I believe. It feels like it was forever and a day ago, but it was a good experience. Thanks for the memories ^.^
 
yeah i cross posted because i dont really know if many people look at both forums.. and im really interested in who went! how did you like ucla nylf? mine was OK.. it was fun, but our group was the ONLY group that didn't get to view a surgery. talk about bummer.

haha lame. i had a blast and learned a lot and met some pretty cool people. it was kind of the start of my quest to become a doctor 🙂. i knew i was interestd, but it kinda sealed the deal. i didnt get to see a surgery through NYLF but we did visit the morgue at loma linda university...which was pretty intense. not to mention it was ilke 110 degrees outside. it was probably a combination of the dead body smell and the heat that made a few students pass out!!!
 
I was supposed to go to the one in Washington D.C. in 1999, but didn't end up going for some reason. I remember getting the invitation several years in a row though! That was exciting at the time.
 
NYLF South Africa--Jan 2004!
Ahh...good times 🙂



Do they still do international sites???

ohh i'm jealous! ive always wanted to go to south africa. i plan on going through an elective rotation during 3rd or 4th year. how was it!?!?
 
I was supposed to go to the one at John Hopkins, but got really sick and had to cancel, such a bummer
 
Berkeley in damn...ummmmmmm 2001 I think? A long time ago.


It was a good experience, but it actually moved me away from medicine a bit. I always got stuck with the stuff nobody wanted to do...although it was very fulfilling. I was a little bitter at first to pay to go to a park and get syringes out of the playground. The coolest part was going to the air force bace, and the weird girl that ran the anatomy lab at UC-Davis...but hey, it was fun to see the bandsaw do some work.
 
Hey guys,
I did NYLF-med at villanova in 2004 I think. Did any of you guys get invited to the presendential inauguration? It says that I was "personally selected" but I think either they invite everyone or they invite random people from the list... I was just curious because I did NOTHING at NYLF-Med to stand out. I didn't even know my Leader's name well. Although, it was an awesome experience and probably one of the best things I've done.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow.. I haven't thought about my NYLF days in a while. I went to the NYLF at Villanova University during the summer of 2002, I believe. It feels like it was forever and a day ago, but it was a good experience. Thanks for the memories ^.^


I was at NYLF at villanova that same summer. It does feel like forever ago, doesn't it?
It was a great experience, but I don't know if it really made much of an impact in the long run.
 
NYLF 2000 at Georgetown. I gotta say I wasn't very impressed with the experience...some groups got to do way better things than others and I didn't think that was fair. The social aspect of the conference was the best part, though I haven't really kept in touch with any of my group members.
 
I went to Chicago 2004. I personally thought it was a waste of money. I had just graduated highschool, and there were only 3 of us who were in college. I think it is mainly for the students who don't quite have their heart set on medicine. I did make some awesome friends who I still keep in touch with though.
 
I'm going to the NYLF on Medicine in Philly this year. I really wanted to get to the one in Boston but all the spots are filled.. =[

Is anyone else going to the one in Philly, Villanova?

If anyone has been there before, how was it? What you do on the first day? Do you get free time? Did you like it? Was it worth going??
 
I'm so excited! It's almost here! I know the first sessions for many locations are already finished.
 
I went to the boston forum last year, and it was amazing. 😀 and I also got nominated to the inaugural thing
 
hey guys, i'm a soph in hs and just got a letter in the mail for the nylf/med program this summer and i've been reading alot of reviews about it and getting very mixed vibes.
is it safe to say that it doesn't necessarily "help get into college" as it claims, but it is a good experience and worth being involved in? 🙂
 
For me, it was like a one-week summer camp. Shadowing and hospital volunteering helped more, but nylf helped improve my social skills (and it was easy to meet others who were away from their parents as well, so it was lik one big, somewhat-supervised, party.
 
Wow.. I haven't thought about my NYLF days in a while. I went to the NYLF at Villanova University during the summer of 2002, I believe. It feels like it was forever and a day ago, but it was a good experience. Thanks for the memories ^.^

I did NYLF at Villanova in 02 also!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did the NSLC medical one at University of Maryland in the summer of 2004. I imagine its similar.
 
Hi. I got invited to NYLF/MED for 2011 and I have a few questions. Do you actually get the 2 transferable college credits? Do you get to pick where you attend the forum? Is NYC a location for the forum this year? Thanks in advance.
 
I attended the NYLF/MED forum in Philly last summer. I was there from July 10th-19th. It was amazing! I made a ton of new friends and got a lot of insight into medicine! Before the program, I was torn between becoming an airline pilot or doctor. And after the program was over, my heart was pretty much set on medicine 😀