How many Interviews should I attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Austinsapp

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I applied to 14 DO schools and 23 MD programs. I am only about 50% done with my secondaries for MD schools. I have already received 5 DO interview invites and I got an Acceptance from the first one I attended. I applied with a MCAT higher than the average for all DO schools so I just applied based on if I would like the location of the school and if I liked the program. I think I will go with an MD acceptance if I receive one but I am also content to go to the school I already received an A from. I plan on turning down any other DO school interviews and only going to MD ones. what do y'all think? should I just go to all the interviews or just say screw it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not advise attending a brand new DO school and it appears your acceptance was to one of those. Where are your other interviews at?

Reactions: 1 users
I would recomend going only if you genuinely could see yourself attending the program. Interview days can be stressful enough no need to bog it down with a place you might not attend. Additionally I would attend one or two more in case you do get an MD interview to prepare for it. (example, if a school does MMI but you havent had that interview style attend it)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would create a personal ranking of the schools you want to attend. Let's say the school you have an A is ranked number 10, but you have interviews with schools that are ranked 5 and 6. I would attend those interviews. On the other hand, if you have interviews with schools that you ranked 12 and 14, then I would not attend those interviews.

I may also suggest attending more interviews, which would be good practice if you get an interview for your top choice. The more you interview, the more comfortable you become.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, I applied to 14 DO schools and 23 MD programs. I am only about 50% done with my secondaries for MD schools. I have already received 5 DO interview invites and I got an Acceptance from the first one I attended. I applied with a MCAT higher than the average for all DO schools so I just applied based on if I would like the location of the school and if I liked the program. I think I will go with an MD acceptance if I receive one but I am also content to go to the school I already received an A from. I plan on turning down any other DO school interviews and only going to MD ones. what do y'all think? should I just go to all the interviews or just say screw it.
I wouldn't go to an interview if you have no intention of attending the program. On the other hand, going to a few of the DO interviews at programs that you would consider attending will further prepare you for the MD ones and will also give you options if you are not accepted MD and do get additional acceptances from DO programs. Multiple acceptances could also mean possible scholarships.

Reactions: 2 users
I do not advise attending a brand new DO school and it appears your acceptance was to one of those. Where are your other interviews at?
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk college of Osteopathic Medicine, William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine. thats the list I still have to attend. The additional interview invite is to Montana COM. but in your opinion why would you not advise going to a brand new DO school.

Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk college of Osteopathic Medicine, William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine. thats the list I still have to attend. The additional interview invite is to Montana COM. but in your opinion why would you not advise going to a brand new DO school.
Go to the WCU interview for sure. New schools have a lot of problems working out the kinks in the curriculum. Rotation sites are potentially unstable too and you will not have any students in the classes ahead of you to rely on for advice on the match process and essentially everything about school. The other interviews are potentially good practice as well.

There are too many things in flux at a brand new school as mentioned by @chilly_md. In addition to what they discussed, faculty/administrative turnover tends to be much higher, and first-time board pass rates are usually 85-90% for initial classes compared to the 95-99% reported as the national average. Go elsewhere if you have the option.

Don't apply to any school you don't want to attend if that is your only admission.Otherwise, next year we will see the new thread titled " Should I drop my admission and reapply to an MD school?" This would make you a re applicant with all of the inherent problems that come with it. Choose your application list wisely.