You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anyone available to read a Statement of Purpose?
Started by apumic
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Sure. PM me and I'll give you my email address.
Ditto here, if you want a 2nd opinion.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there i am interested to read could you please send in me to my email address ie [email protected]...
Thank you
Thank you
Hello all...
I was wondering if anyone was willing to read and give feedback on a statement of purpose?
Thanks!
I don't know if you are still in school or not, but many career centers at universities and colleges have staff who will look over your SOP and give you feedback. Also, some career centers will also do this for alumi.
My own school's career center is known, and has proven itself to be ineffectual. On top of that they charge a fee (enough for me to hire an editor). Which is why I am asking for advice from people who have applied in the past, or have experience writing their own essays. I will really appreciate anyone who is willing donate some time to proof read.
Thank you much
Thank you much
My own school's career center is known, and has proven itself to be ineffectual. On top of that they charge a fee (enough for me to hire an editor).
Well, that is just wrong for a career center to charge a fee to its students. Alumi, maybe, but they should never charge their own students.
Sorry to hear that. Obviously, career centers do vary in the services they provide and in the quality of their services. But, it CAN be a great service at some universities and colleges, and I would still recommend that, in addition to receiving help from people on this board, people looking for help should check with their career center for feedback on their SOPs.
Good luck everyone.
My own school's career center is known, and has proven itself to be ineffectual. On top of that they charge a fee (enough for me to hire an editor).
Sorry to hear about that! I worked in my school's career center for about 2 years, and while we don't charge for any service our policy is that grad school personal statements are the domain of the writing center and the major department since it's related to academia. So I was surprised to hear that other schools have their career center working on that.
Well if anyone needs proofreaders, send me a PM 🙂
I can give you feedback if you PM it to me.
I don't know if I should take this as a bad sign or not, but I've been trying to write very concisely and my SOP is currently at 660 words. I'm a little worried that maybe there's something I should be talking about that I'm not because Drexel wants 1500 words (I plan to add another chunk about how my research there might further mesh with their PIs) and I'm not sure how I can stretch it now that I've condensed it. Right now I've got...
<Introduction>
<Touch on my undergrad background / how I've prepared for graduate school>
<Research, first project and what I got out of it>
<Research, second project and what I got out of it>
<How I fit in at X program and what I want to do there>
Is there some other component to a good SOP I'm missing? I'm just getting a little nervous if some people are taking over 1000 words to talk about themselves and I've barely scratched 700.
<Introduction>
<Touch on my undergrad background / how I've prepared for graduate school>
<Research, first project and what I got out of it>
<Research, second project and what I got out of it>
<How I fit in at X program and what I want to do there>
Is there some other component to a good SOP I'm missing? I'm just getting a little nervous if some people are taking over 1000 words to talk about themselves and I've barely scratched 700.
Sounds good to me, just make sure you're spelling is goodly and your writing f*cking professional, and don't go overboard with humor just like I did....
I think you should write a paragraph or two on the specifics of the program before you explain how you fit into it. Perhaps this is what you were planning to do, but I am simply emphasizing the point, as some programs want to be sure that the applicant has done his homework.
p.s. I don't mind reading anybody's SOP if you're looking for a nth opinion. Just like many clinical psych students, I have a voyeuristic fetish for intruding into other people's private lives...which brings me to my last point: don't disclose personal and private matters, history of mental illness (except in rare cases), and any info that can make them question your stability and sanity.
I think you should write a paragraph or two on the specifics of the program before you explain how you fit into it. Perhaps this is what you were planning to do, but I am simply emphasizing the point, as some programs want to be sure that the applicant has done his homework.
p.s. I don't mind reading anybody's SOP if you're looking for a nth opinion. Just like many clinical psych students, I have a voyeuristic fetish for intruding into other people's private lives...which brings me to my last point: don't disclose personal and private matters, history of mental illness (except in rare cases), and any info that can make them question your stability and sanity.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 739