You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anyone been accepted with 500 MCAT??
Started by DocMcMuffins
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yes. I have two friends that were accepted with a sub-500 MCAT as part of the inaugural class at some of the new D.O. schools. Their GPAs and EC's were mostly on par or above average. One was an ORM and one was an URM (Native American).
It's possible if you apply smart, and if the rest of your application is up to par.
This did not personally happen to me, so I don't know every detail of their application, but if you're asking about a 500 MCAT, then it's possible.
It's possible if you apply smart, and if the rest of your application is up to par.
This did not personally happen to me, so I don't know every detail of their application, but if you're asking about a 500 MCAT, then it's possible.
I have. Starting med school (MD) in 1 month
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have. Starting med school (MD) in 1 month
Congratulations. That's amazing, and an M.D. Program as well?? Would you mind sharing more? I am interested in hearing as well.
There were 1,000+ people admitted with 501 and below
https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf
Many schools have ranges spanning down near 500!
Though, demographics are going to be a big part of it, things like state of residency and race determine how miraculous we're talking
https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf
Many schools have ranges spanning down near 500!
Though, demographics are going to be a big part of it, things like state of residency and race determine how miraculous we're talking
Well I had an Undergrad GPA of 3.79, science GPA of 3.6-3.7ish. Degree in biochemistry and chemical biotechnology. Did research at Temple through a program there. Applied to 9 schools (4 in state and 5 out of state). Got interviews from 6. Accepted to 2, Priority WL for 2, ando regular WL for 2.Congratulations. That's amazing, and an M.D. Program as well?? Would you mind sharing more? I am interested in hearing as well.
If you have any other questions you can PM me
https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf
cGPA 3.79, MCAT 500 = 247 people accepted with those stats last year. Total of over 1300 people admitted with an MCAT of 501 or lower. Your admission will probably depend on the rest of your application.
cGPA 3.79, MCAT 500 = 247 people accepted with those stats last year. Total of over 1300 people admitted with an MCAT of 501 or lower. Your admission will probably depend on the rest of your application.
I was accepted MD with a MCAT of 501. GPA pretty low. I am an URM though.
7
779354
If all don't mind, what schools accepted you?
Hey, let's say he's not URM...but has a first-author Nature paper and a 4.0 GPA from Caltech. Not super miraculous for him to get into his state MD school.
Last edited:
Unless URM, veteran, or from a very lucky state, I'd say <5% for MD. With a decent GPA good for some DOs
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Add “compelling life story” as well. Think Chechen refugee that has served in the Peace Corps.Unless URM, veteran, or from a very lucky state, I'd say <5% for MD. With a decent GPA good for some DOs
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I got accepted with a 500 MCAT this year. I had a 3.5 sGPA and a 3.6 cGPA. I did however have thousands of clinical hours, lots of leadership roles, and many ECs which helped a lot. I got four interview invites, three to DO and one MD and went to three of them. Got accepted at two DO schools and one MD school.Has anyone I recent years (2015 and up) been accepted with a 500MCAT. Please tell me there are some miracles!! I'd love to hear about the rest of your application if you've been accepted!
Lol so dramatic. It’s not all about the MCATAdd “compelling life story” as well. Think Chechen refugee that has served in the Peace Corps.
Yes, DO schools accept thousands a year
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted600623
PNWU matriculant MCAT avg is 502. I would assume that sub 500 mcat scores are included in that average.
Has anyone I recent years (2015 and up) been accepted with a 500MCAT. Please tell me there are some miracles!! I'd love to hear about the rest of your application if you've been accepted!
Why not just retake your mcat? People get in with lower MCATs, I have some friends who were accepted with 501s and 502s to MD schools but I don't know much about their app just that they were traditional applicants. Its possible, but don't count on. Work to retake your mcat that will improve your chances!
Yes. I got accepted last year. I had CGPA 3.62
Which school did you get accepted to if you don't mind sharing?
Some schools that have accepted 500’s:
Indiana State, Ohio State University, Wayne State University, MCW, Oakland Beaumont, Howard, UC Drew, Wright State, Central Michigan, SUNY Downstate, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, and Tulane. There are more obviously, but these are ones I know for sure. Of course, you need to have amazing EC’s on the side. PeaceCorps, Fulbright, Howard Hughs, AmeriCorps, international missionaries, army, etc. are all good starts.
Indiana State, Ohio State University, Wayne State University, MCW, Oakland Beaumont, Howard, UC Drew, Wright State, Central Michigan, SUNY Downstate, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, and Tulane. There are more obviously, but these are ones I know for sure. Of course, you need to have amazing EC’s on the side. PeaceCorps, Fulbright, Howard Hughs, AmeriCorps, international missionaries, army, etc. are all good starts.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 2K