1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone do a Master's before getting into DDS?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by steiner2, Aug 8, 2011.

1. steiner2

2+ Year Member

I in the middle of my master's degree. Went into it because I didnt want to do post-bac work alone and might not have anything to show for it. My friend told me it was a detriment. I should have just done post-bac. He got a master's before going to med school. That's what he learned at least. Another friend of mine did post-bac before he went to the same med school. Neither one made it the first time around. They both had to reapply. So it seems 50/50 to me. But I am not interested in MD, I'm interested in DDS. So is it detrimental to be in a master's versus post-bac program? My school doesnt have a post-bac program. You just take classes on your own. It seemed like such a waste to me just in case it takes more than 1 try. If nothing else, you have another degree by the time you got in.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xaznxcountx

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Masters all the way! I received 4 interviews last cycle. It helped me get into dental school. You get a separate GPA for grad school. Just stick with and do well. Good luck!

4. dent4004

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I also did a 2 year masters with thesis and was accepted in my 2nd application cycle. I know that is what got me in.

5. amalgamator42

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll disagree. If you have the stats to get in, just apply and go to dental school. The sooner you get in, the sooner you will be making money.

You'll never use the master's degree so it's pointless. The master's is just because you didn't know what else to do. Now, if your stats suck and you can't get into dental school, stick with the masters and kill the DAT.

With all the new dental schools, I think it's easier than ever to get into dental school, so consider this.

One thought is maybe you can get into a sucky school that charges outrageous tuition, but can't get into a state school with more reasonable tuition. Then I might finish the masters and try to get into the cheaper school. Please don't go into 500K debt to do dental school.

6. KittySquared

KittySquared Kitty chompers
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm doing a 1 year masters before applying. Though I have a feeling I'm still going to end up at an uber expensive school. Such is life :(

7. gt123

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I enrolled in a 3+2 program because my grades were not very competitive, and received my master's one year after I would have on the traditional undergrad track. It was way worth it. Not only did I learn a lot, I learned to handle more responsibility.

8. Rubber Dam Man

Rubber Dam Man protecting you since 1950
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I knocked out a 2 year masters in 3 semesters... did well ... and got 3 December 1st acceptances. More and more applicants are getting masters degrees ... not only do you get a separate graduate GPA, but it also shows maturity, growth, and dedication (which adcoms love)!

9. DodgeCaravan

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    There were people in my class that had a MSc degree prior to dental school. They had said they probably would not have gotten in without it. At our school there is a special category for applicants with a MSc degree with a separate interview. These guys got 2 interviews in one year and the second one was NOT a behavior/scenario-type interview. Only get one chance with the special interview at our school, so you have to be careful not to squander the opportunity.

Some things to remember is that many on the selection committee are researchers and look favorably on other researchers who understand and respect the research experience. Also having a Masters degree is usually required prior to teaching at dental school. By accepting more applicants with Master's degrees they are increasing the pool of potential future instructors at the school. Also having more graduates with advanced degrees brings more prestige to the profession. Finally, if you survived all the abuse that comes with being a grad student, in their eyes you're less likely to complain and make a stink during the dental school experience.

10. Doc Smile

Doc Smile senior member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
  11. dl9006

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    well you'll be spending an extra 2 years paying the tuition fee for the masters degree + living cost.

On top of that, you'll lose 2 years of income that you'll make as a dentist.

think about doing a masters if your gpa is sub 3.3. otherwise just study hard for the dat and don't waste your time doing a masters

12. yappy

10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Most good masters programs pay the student for research/teaching.

13. youngmc27

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    look around for a 1 year MS and get great grades and it will work out for you that is what I did. I am sure that it will only help if you didn't get accepted the first time around.

14. steiner2

2+ Year Member

Thanks for all the replies. To be honest, it's been killer working 40 hrs and going to school to get my mph. So versus spending time here, I've been concentrating on my school work. I dont know if its necessary or not. My brother was doing a master's halfway when he got into law school. He deferred it until he finished law school. He finished law school and then finished his master's.
    So far I have a 3.95 after 2 semesters. I was thinking about studying the DAT and applying but not sure if the schools might think I was a flake. I do intend to finish my master's. It's the best way to get onto the dental school faculty. I have a lot of doctors in my classes oddly enough.

15. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got a masters in Physical Chemistry prior to getting my DMD.

16. cmcner

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Be careful a lot of schools will rescind an acceptance if you don't finish your current program before you enroll in their dental program, so check with each specific school you apply to if you decide to put off the masters.

17. dentalWorks

dentalWorks Nights Watchmen
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I did 54-credit post-bacc with strong performance. Had 9 interviews before October roll'd around last year.

I never considered masters because FOR ME, it was a waste of time and money. I needed to take all my pre-dents along with a bunch of upper levels, so, post-bacc was my best option.

If you've graduated undergrad with alot of upper levels already, yes, you simply can't do post-bacc any more (u've taken all the important classes already), masters will be ur only option

18. dentb

Dentist
    Mph is possible in 1 yr?which school offer mph for 1 yr?