Anyone doing research this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlleghenyPOD

1st Year MD-bound
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are there any other pre-pods out there doing summer undergraduate research? I know several pre-pods in my class are doing summer research internships in Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine: both are doing different research partnerships, one of my closest friend is doing a collaborative researc with an OU-COM medical student in regards to Alzheimer's disease: they will be studying protein manipulation that prevents the deteriotion of neural tissues (atrophy) and observe if that protein synthesis can prevent damage in the tempoparietal and frontal cortex and eventual prelation of the neurofibrillary tangles. My other friend is doing a summer internship in OU-COM but will be researching the on the topic of peroxidases levels and specific culturation between Arabidopsis and Brassicarapa via electrophoresis techniques. I personally will be doing a 4 week summer internship-research in Drexel University concerning host immune response to –pathogen interactions and symbioses (some pathogens that we'll be looking into: staphylococcus aureus, cryptosporidium, Histoplasma capsulatum, and some Herpes simplex standards).

So for those doing summer research, where are you researching at? I'd like to know more about your research topics and perhaps we all can share findings and discussion topics in here. Hope to interact with you this summer here.

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, are there any other pre-pods out there doing summer undergraduate research? I know several pre-pods in my class are doing summer research internships in Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine: both are doing different research partnerships, one of my closest friend is doing a collaborative researc with an OU-COM medical student in regards to Alzheimer's disease: they will be studying protein manipulation that prevents the deteriotion of neural tissues (atrophy) and observe if that protein synthesis can prevent damage in the tempoparietal and frontal cortex and eventual prelation of the neurofibrillary tangles. My other friend is doing a summer internship in OU-COM but will be researching the on the topic of peroxidases levels and specific culturation between Arabidopsis and Brassicarapa via electrophoresis techniques. I personally will be doing a 4 week summer internship-research in Drexel University concerning host immune response to –pathogen interactions and symbioses (some pathogens that we'll be looking into: staphylococcus aureus, cryptosporidium, Histoplasma capsulatum, and some Herpes simplex standards).

So for those doing summer research, where are you researching at? I'd like to know more about your research topics and perhaps we all can share findings and discussion topics in here. Hope to interact with you this summer here.

That is great that you all have these wonderful opportunities.

I also did research before pod school.

I have some advice for you....

As important as all the experiments are and and exciting as pipetting can be do not lose site of the overall picture. Obviously you are there to do a job but whenever you get the opportunity talk to your PI about writing grants and what goes into designing the experiments. Try to make your PI include you in the whole process not just the scut work.

I was lucky to have a PI who made me design my own experiments and discussed them with me and explained what we were looking for during each step.

All of this will help you when and if you decide to do research while in pod school.

Good points, krabs. Just out of curiousity, where did you do your research at and what was the research?

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad :)
Good points, krabs. Just out of curiousity, where did you do your research at and what was the research?

Cheers,

Cholesterol Metabolism at NIH-NHLBI Molecular Disease Branch.

You can look me up on pubmed - just reverse my screen name.

Synthetic amphipathic helical peptides promote lipid efflux from cells by an ABCA1-dependent and an ABCA1-independent pathway.

You had me at hello

Neurochemical (serotonin) research on mammalian cells (not directly related to pod, but I really like it! My research trainer/supervisor is excellent so far).

^

Very interesting indeed, I actually had the honor in reading a senior composition of a friend of mine who's graduating this year--relating to this monaminic neurotransmitter . The study revolved on the premis: significant low levels of serotonin leading to severe disorders including the study of: Obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar and anxiety disorders. A very interesting subject matter, if you ask me.

Tell me, what will you be studying specifically? Are you going to be looking into the biochemistry of the neurotransmitter? its transmission mode? Keep us updated, mate.

:thumbup:

+++++++++

As of right now I'm finishing up (that is will be taking the final this mon.) on Microbiology and one thing that I took out of this class was a sublime facination towards gram positive and gram negative bacteria due to their strong resistance to standard antibacterias; due to the prevailing mutative rate and character of these pathogens. Some of the ones that I've identified and studied extensively and come to love (literally, haha) include the following:

AspergillosisFungusBall.jpg

Aspergillosis

gram-bacilli.jpg

Bacillus coagulans: This lactic forming bacillus was extracted from a sample of local market "tomato juice" in lab. :rolleyes: