Can anyone provide some tangible help getting a DPM shadow\letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mental_Managment_97

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
You name it, I've done it. When I think I have a good lead, I usually get ghosted or I spend 30 mins on the phone being lectured on why its a bad idea, podiatry is dead, go to DO school, go to PA school, etc etc etc

I am in no way trying to be negative. I have good grades, I am, by the numbers, more than a solid applicant and podiatry is my first and only choice in terms of medical professions(85% DPM, 15% DC is my current mental standing). The fine people over on reddit supplied some help but the leads panned out to nothing. I even tried the schools, they paired me with docs and just yesterday I was literally just ignored by a "mentor".

I went into this requirement trying to make it more than a checkbox event but at this point I need to get it done....... I am seriously considering just pulling my application from the schools that demand a DPM letter and rolling the dice elsewhere.

Preview of my stats if that matters

cGPA: 3.51
sGPA: 3.44
- my org chem and sophomore year were below 3.0 but I pulled it back up elsewhere...
MCAT: Haven't taken it yet, test in May. My diagnostics are floating around 510 except the random 500ish....

I have a masters in molecular biology. Ton of military experience and awards, admittedly light on clinical shadowing hours, volunteering. I did work a few months in a podiatry clinic in the Army but that was a good while ago. Older candidate here..... I do have strong LoR from professors and government officials.

Please, if it's any of the common, easy things students try you can be assured I have tried it. I am getting desperate. I have interviews starting next week and I know it's going to be a question and "Der I tried for the last 5 months but it didn't pan out..." isn't much of an answer. That said I know myself and if\when I'm asked I'm going to be honest and its going to come off negative(albeit honest)and I don't want to hurt my chances based on that.

Any DPM want to make a few bucks?! lol

All jokes aside, thanks a lot guys. Sorry if this post is in wrong place, new here.....

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure someone on here close to your geographical location can help you out. Saw your post on reddit, sorry that its not going anywhere.

Another idea you can try is find the nearest podiatry residency to your location and go there in person to shadow/ ask for a recommendation letter.

Reactions: 1 user
There are tons of good DPMs to shadow... go to FootHealthFacts.org and their find a doc, search by zip, ask to shadow.

Thousands of ppl have done it successfully.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You name it, I've done it. When I think I have a good lead, I usually get ghosted or I spend 30 mins on the phone being lectured on why its a bad idea, podiatry is dead, go to DO school, go to PA school, etc etc etc

I am in no way trying to be negative. I have good grades, I am, by the numbers, more than a solid applicant and podiatry is my first and only choice in terms of medical professions(85% DPM, 15% DC is my current mental standing). The fine people over on reddit supplied some help but the leads panned out to nothing. I even tried the schools, they paired me with docs and just yesterday I was literally just ignored by a "mentor".

I went into this requirement trying to make it more than a checkbox event but at this point I need to get it done....... I am seriously considering just pulling my application from the schools that demand a DPM letter and rolling the dice elsewhere.

Preview of my stats if that matters

cGPA: 3.51
sGPA: 3.44
- my org chem and sophomore year were below 3.0 but I pulled it back up elsewhere...
MCAT: Haven't taken it yet, test in May. My diagnostics are floating around 510 except the random 500ish....

I have a masters in molecular biology. Ton of military experience and awards, admittedly light on clinical shadowing hours, volunteering. I did work a few months in a podiatry clinic in the Army but that was a good while ago. Older candidate here..... I do have strong LoR from professors and government officials.

Please, if it's any of the common, easy things students try you can be assured I have tried it. I am getting desperate. I have interviews starting next week and I know it's going to be a question and "Der I tried for the last 5 months but it didn't pan out..." isn't much of an answer. That said I know myself and if\when I'm asked I'm going to be honest and its going to come off negative(albeit honest)and I don't want to hurt my chances based on that.

Any DPM want to make a few bucks?! lol

All jokes aside, thanks a lot guys. Sorry if this post is in wrong place, new here.....

If the above 2 links do not work try this:

good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure someone on here close to your geographical location can help you out. Saw your post on reddit, sorry that its not going anywhere.

Another idea you can try is find the nearest podiatry residency to your location and go there in person to shadow/ ask for a recommendation letter.

Thanks. Yea it's frustrating. Not sure if that was you who mentioned the residency idea over on reddit. It's a great idea, one I didn't think of, but both of them in KY are just not feasible distance wise.

Regardless of the "everyone else did it so can you" crowd, I honestly have tried all the avenues available to me I feel and will just have to explain that to the schools I suppose.

Thanks.

APMA? State board of podiatry members (Kentucky)? I know it's frustrating. During the pandemic, some schools hosted virtual mentoring sessions that would count towards your podiatric experience.

One school I talked to recently (Temple? I don’t recall, it’s been a lot lately) mentioned they can schedule shadowing in their clinic for those opting for in-person interview. I put it on the maybe list as an option but my question is/was how would that look to the other schools?

The video/zoom idea overall I have floated to some offices but either they are not interested or the message isn’t making it to the doctors or it makes me look insincere. Honestly not sure.

I think what is most frustrating is the overwhelming and hard to ignore sense of bad luck that is hanging over my search. It’s hard to be mad at simple bad luck…

Thanks!

One school I talked to recently (Temple? I don’t recall, it’s been a lot lately) mentioned they can schedule shadowing in their clinic for those opting for in-person interview. I put it on the maybe list as an option but my question is/was how would that look to the other schools?

The video/zoom idea overall I have floated to some offices but either they are not interested or the message isn’t making it to the doctors or it makes me look insincere. Honestly not sure.

I think what is most frustrating is the overwhelming and hard to ignore sense of bad luck that is hanging over my search. It’s hard to be mad at simple bad luck…

Thanks!
Each of the schools wants applicants who have some career exploration time with a podiatrist, but yes they can be possessive if they set up those opportunities. Reach out to the schools' admissions deans to see what they can do for you.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I want to be clear that I wasn't attempting to be negative. I'm truly excited about the field. To be entirely fair I understand my current location and life circumstances(unavoidable) are stacking the deck against me in regard to trying to find someone and again, I know they are busy! I take my struggle as a positive sign truth be told. Even the Debbie downer doctors who decided to lecture me I take as a positive because...well let's just say as a veteran I am all too familiar with people blaming the profession itself for their lack of success\fulfillment in it. Life is what you make of it. I intend to make this do more than just work but be fulfilling as well.

Thanks again everyone.

So update then I'll go ahead and lock this.

First, I had people reach out privately offering real suggestions and I'm happy to report that I now have some tangible leads, new ideas that I had not considered and even a meeting now on the books. A few have even stepped up and offered to review my paperwork\CV\etc over distance and provide a recommendation. To the doctors that reached out, I can't thank you enough.

When the dean of a school reaches out to you personally on a weekend, even when you aren't a great candidate for their program specifically, and provides help ....well let's just say I'm glad to know the loud voices I've heard lately are not speaking for the majority.

Thank you!

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.