Anyone doing the 12 month masters in Nutrition program at Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this e-mail about a masters program for pre-med students at Columbia. I thought it would be a interesting thing to do, not to mention fun since I'll get to live in NY for a year. (I'm from Texas.) Is anyone else considering this or even know about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I got that too but I haven't done it. Also, I wasn't sure if it was actually at Columbia (the actual Columbia) because the name of the school was just a little bit different. I forget what it actually was...

Pkboi24 said:
I got this e-mail about a masters program for pre-med students at Columbia. I thought it would be a interesting thing to do, not to mention fun since I'll get to live in NY for a year. (I'm from Texas.) Is anyone else considering this or even know about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Though I am not considering the program, it sounds like a great opportunity. You should take advantage of it if you don't make it this application cycle.

I got that spam email. I'm not going, its not worth it for me. Good luck with it though.

Hi. I'm in the MS nutrition program at columbia this year, and I really like it. I think its a good way to spend an off year, really great people in the program, and its not too challenging....I'm not sure whether its worth the exorbitant columbia tuition but thats a whole other thing. a lot of people in the program are reapplying to med school or applying for the first time.

mwr2001 said:
Hi. I'm in the MS nutrition program at columbia this year, and I really like it. I think its a good way to spend an off year, really great people in the program, and its not too challenging....I'm not sure whether its worth the exorbitant columbia tuition but thats a whole other thing. a lot of people in the program are reapplying to med school or applying for the first time.

How difficult is it to get into this program? I'm really interested in it.

MDCali said:
How difficult is it to get into this program? I'm really interested in it.

but if you dont get to med shool, what can you do with the degree?

madonna said:
but if you dont get to med shool, what can you do with the degree?

You can become a clinical dietitian (after 6mos or a year of internship). You work w/ the docs to ensure that every patient has the proper diet for their condition while they're in the hospital (or nursing home, whatever), that they're actually getting and eating their food properly, and try to ensure compliance once they're out. You could also do consulting, or land a job providing nutritional counseling for dieters at a gym or something like the weight watchers company. I only know so much b/c my mom is a dietitian. She's been in management for like 2 decades now so she doesn't really do any of this stuff anymore, but when I was younger I spent a lot of time in her office and volunteered w/ the staff. Really really boring work, for the record. But it's a stable job market, I guess.

mwr2001 said:

I'm very interested in this program. i'm not applying to med school until this summer so I have an extra year. I was planning to go overseas but was worried I wouldn't be able to get to my interviews. The tuition for Columbia is pretty ridiculous. Do you know if there are any forms of financial aid?

Thanks!

Would you be able to fill out a FAFSA for it?

Does this program have a good success rate with sending students to med school?

chaeymaey said:

Yea thats what I was wondering also?

I got accepted to Columbia's program today. Has anyone does this? Anyone know a med school acceptance rate for the program? Any info other than what's on the website?

I don't see how a master's degree in nutrition of all things, would help you get into medical school. Seems like a waste of time to me, unless you actually have an interest in nutrition.

You would be better of in an SMP where you are taking classes relevant to medical school.

chaeymaey said:

I only know of one person who did this program (my professor's son).... he did extremely well in the program (almost a 4.0) and did not get into a single U.S. allopathic school either time he applied. The rest of his record seemed pretty solid (good UG GPA, MCAT, etc). He got feedback from one of the Adcoms who said that it wasn't the "right" Masters program to help with medical school admissions. He's now a first year at one of the Caribbean schools and is #1 in his class. Again just anectdotal evidence from one applicant, so take it for what it's worth.

microgin said:
I only know of one person who did this program (my professor's son).... he did extremely well in the program (almost a 4.0) and did not get into a single U.S. allopathic school either time he applied. The rest of his record seemed pretty solid (good UG GPA, MCAT, etc). He got feedback from one of the Adcoms who said that it wasn't the "right" Masters program to help with medical school admissions. He's now a first year at one of the Caribbean schools and is #1 in his class. Again just anectdotal evidence from one applicant, so take it for what it's worth.

He got into a US allo school but decided to go to carribean school?

NRAI2001 said:
He got into a US allo school but decided to go to carribean school?

microgin said:
I only know of one person who did this program (my professor's son).... he did extremely well in the program (almost a 4.0) and did not get into a single U.S. allopathic school either time he applied.

See post above.

I know "mwr2001" is in the Columbia program, and got into Tufts Med this year, so I'm sure there are some success stories out there.