Anyone else a former pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Miraflorina

Dental Diva
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-med who is currently studying for the MCAT. Over the last few weeks, the dreaded thought kept involuntarily creeping in my mind that I do NOT want to become a doctor. There are many reasons... I just don't feel like going into them at the moment. Perhaps in future posts...

Dentistry, on the other hand, fascinates me. I love the hands-on detail work required of dentists... plus, they have fabulous hours and opportunities to own their own practices...

So I'm wondering if there are any others out there like me, who decided against medicine at the last possible minute and are now switching to dentistry.

BTW, I'm still taking the MCAT in April... I know it'll probably be useless but I've already signed up for it and I've put so much time and effort into studying for it :mad: I'm just hoping that some of the knowledge will help me score well on the DAT...

Oh, and any advice on how to tell my premed advisor that I've changed my mind ?! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

La Miraflorina said:
I'm a pre-med who is currently studying for the MCAT. Over the last few weeks, the dreaded thought kept involuntarily creeping in my mind that I do NOT want to become a doctor. There are many reasons... I just don't feel like going into them at the moment. Perhaps in future posts...

Dentistry, on the other hand, fascinates me. I love the hands-on detail work required of dentists... plus, they have fabulous hours and opportunities to own their own practices...

So I'm wondering if there are any others out there like me, who decided against medicine at the last possible minute and are now switching to dentistry.

BTW, I'm still taking the MCAT in April... I know it'll probably be useless but I've already signed up for it and I've put so much time and effort into studying for it :mad: I'm just hoping that some of the knowledge will help me score well on the DAT...

Oh, and any advice on how to tell my premed advisor that I've changed my mind ?! :eek:
Yep!

I bailed out from pre-med in September my senior year of college. Took the DAT in October, submitted my AADSAS around Christmas, and interviewed at IUSD in early March. It's not the way I'd recommend applying, but I managed to get away with it. ;)

And your advisor? Just tell him/her. You're not there to ask permission, or get their blessing, or any of that garbage. It's your career, so don't let someone as inconsequential as your academic advisor try to dictate it to you. Good luck!

aphistis said:
...And your advisor? Just tell him/her. You're not there to ask permission, or get their blessing, or any of that garbage. It's your career, so don't let someone as inconsequential as your academic advisor try to dictate it to you. Good luck!

Good advice. Also, your advisor probably has witnessed a change of heart/direction before and your move shouldn't be such a shock. There are plenty of students, and not just from pre-med backgrounds, that have switched to dentistry after seriously persuing one career path or another so don't feel alone or strange in your decision. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i changed after applying to med school. how bad can that be :)

yea i know exactly how you feel. i was pre-med when i started college but after talking with alot of my friends who were pre-dent and kids in dental school i started to pursue dentistry around my junior year. i did all my shadowing this past summer and took the DAT this past october. and i still got in. def studying for the MCAT will help you with the DAT, i took the mcat my junior year so the sciences will cross over. i suggest go and talking with dental and med students before you go and make your decision. im glad i picked dentistry :) good luck

I recenty made the switch myself. I've wanted to be a doctor for most of my life but after actually researching the weekly hour requirement of the different specialties I began looking at dentistry. I liked what I saw and so did my wife. There is absolutely no justification in my mind for working at a job that takes you away from your family.

So the conclusion that I reached was this:
If I am not IN LOVE with the idea of being a doctor, why in the heck wouldnt I be a dentist?

At first I felt a bit of sadness in loosing medicine but I've recently become as psyced for dentistry as anyother predent. Just follow your heart, tell your advisor what for, and for gosh sakes enjoy your job! :D

This board is full of pre-med rejects.

Blackstars said:
This board is full of pre-med rejects.

When did anyone on this thread say that they were rejected from medical school? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to articulate...

aphistis said:
Yep!

I bailed out from pre-med in September my senior year of college. Took the DAT in October, submitted my AADSAS around Christmas, and interviewed at IUSD in early March. It's not the way I'd recommend applying, but I managed to get away with it. ;)

And your advisor? Just tell him/her. You're not there to ask permission, or get their blessing, or any of that garbage. It's your career, so don't let someone as inconsequential as your academic advisor try to dictate it to you. Good luck!

Wow! What is the latest date you can apply to dental school? And had you had any dental shadowing experiences?? I shadowed a surgeon while I was in college but I haven't had any experience with dentists. So my main concern is that both my premed advisor and dental schools will view my change of heart as fleeting...

My plan right now is to take the MCAT in April, shadow a dentist starting in April and take the DAT and apply to schools in August. Do you think that will be considered enough "experience" for dental schools? Of course, I plan to continue shadowing after applications are in, but I just don't want to wait too long to apply.

And as for my premed advisor... The committee at my school seems quite aloof. It's a committee comprised of various professors from all different departments. We are all assigned an advisor who is supposed to help us through this process. When I initially wrote my professor via email explaining why I couldn't meet with her in person, (I was living abroad at the time), she apparently didn't even read my email because she sent just one line back asking me to come by her office during office hours :mad: And the director of the committee didn't even answer all my emails. And there is no reason for them to be acting that way.. I was a very good student while I was there... they are notorious for being unapproachable. So you can perhaps understand my fear of telling them about my decision. I just don't know how they are going to react. And it sucks feeling like the fate of my career rests in their hands.

So I'm trying to compose a letter today... I guess it's better to tell them now rather than later.

Thanks for all the advice :p

The prerequisites courses for med school are basically the same for dental school. The paths are very similar except you take the DAT, and instead of Volunteering at a Hospital you vol at a Dental practice.

Your advisors won't even flinch at your change of course. They likely won't even remeber your name. Just take the DAT, and have your LORs directed torwards dental school

airvent said:
The prerequisites courses for med school are basically the same for dental school. The paths are very similar except you take the DAT, and instead of Volunteering at a Hospital you vol at a Dental practice.

Your advisors won't even flinch at your change of course. They likely won't even remeber your name. Just take the DAT, and have your LORs directed torwards dental school

I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. That is the problem. I have already received LORs (from professors) for medical school. At my school, the committee compliles all the LORs into one giant composite letter. But they don't write the letter after professors submit theirs. It's a long application process, and I'm told, they deny most people. My whole app to them is done... I'm just waiting to hear their final answer... whether or not they will write me a letter for medical school. THAT is why I'm concerned about telling them. For all I know, they may have even started drafting the letter already and may not be too pleased finding they have to start over... Anyway, I'm telling them today. It's better sooner than later... :oops:

Yea thats sounds tougher. You actualy have to be accepted by the committee before you can apply? Worse case scenario ask your LORs to send them directly to the schools and bypass the comittee.

If your app is strong everywhere else this all should be minor. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
La Miraflorina said:
I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. That is the problem. I have already received LORs (from professors) for medical school. At my school, the committee compliles all the LORs into one giant composite letter. But they don't write the letter after professors submit theirs. It's a long application process, and I'm told, they deny most people. My whole app to them is done... I'm just waiting to hear their final answer... whether or not they will write me a letter for medical school. THAT is why I'm concerned about telling them. For all I know, they may have even started drafting the letter already and may not be too pleased finding they have to start over... Anyway, I'm telling them today. It's better sooner than later... :oops:
If possible, I recommend "by passing" the committee and having your professors write you LORs to dental school. It doesn't sound like your letter writer knows you personally and you'll just be another person she's writing a letter for. My undergrad has that committee thing, too, and I didn't want one big letter because my letters came from all sorts of people (employer, professors, mentor, etc.). I thought individual letters would capture different facets of my personality.

FYI, two of the professors had initially written me a LOR for medical school, so I was reluctant to approach them again and be all, "Uhhh, yeah, I've changed my mind and I want to be a dentist." I didn't know how that would be received, but to my surprise, my anxiety was totally not necessary! In a simple letter I explained why I wanted to do dentistry over medicine and told them I was shadowing a dentist and this experience further reinforced my belief that dentistry, not medicine, was my career. In many cases, the qualities that would make you a great doctor would also make you a great dentist. And if you truly selected professors that know you well, they will not hesitate on helping you realize your dreams.

Is that corny? :eek: Well, in my experience, it was true. ;)

La Miraflorina:

Hey, it seems like you're on the right track. Just one thing. I'd recommend applying in June and taking the DAT anytime before the end of august. This will enhance your chances of getting earlier interviews because the application takes several weeks to process. But the DAT can be sent in a matter of a couple days if not immediately transmitted to the schools. Good luck!

My advice:

Keep your GPA at the same competitive level as Pre-Meds.

If you go for dentistry just because you are not in the same competitive boat as other Pre-Meds, you will not enjoy your work after you graduate from D-School. I have seen too many of these cases.

Plus, I don't think we should give Meds or anyone else for that matter any more reason to look down on us.

Also, if you have a competitive GPA, scholarships will be rolling into your direction.

I too have worked my butt off hard enough on my academics and lab-experiences to go confidently into the Medical application process but turned to dentistry because I saw it as a better career for myself.

I know I shouldn't feel this way but I get a little agitated when people with more than 1 "C's" getting into dental schools or even worse, into my choice.

As obvious as it sounds, the fact of matter is that people get below B's when they don't put in the same hours of studying time as the people with B's or above. I find hard to deal with the fact that I will be in the same Dental school with people who probably partied or had fun while I was in the library sitting on that uncomfortable chair for 4-6 hours on Friday nights so that I would have a higher GPA and ultimately, get into a dental school.

I don't know...forget what I said.

I think I've drank too much of that bitter-sweetened juice.

I think Yah-e was premed until his health sciences advisor noticed his extremely high GPA and encouraged him to shoot for the stars by switching over to predent. :)

I was a premed too.
I realized I was aiming for that profession out of pride, and ego then anything else. I stopped chasing that field, and I have felt happier since. UCLA accepted me for fall.

Sometimes life turns out for the better.

Also, bet on the fact that this pre-med past will come up in an interview. It did for me at UCLA, and Columbia. They will ask you about it. When they asked me, I felt cathartic to have the chance to tell them what was really happening, pride, and then still get accepted.

jk5177 said:
I was a premed too.
I realized I was aiming for that profession out of pride, and ego then anything else. I stopped chasing that field, and I have felt happier since. UCLA accepted me for fall.

Sometimes life turns out for the better.

Also, bet on the fact that this pre-med past will come up in an interview. It did for me at UCLA, and Columbia. They will ask you about it. When they asked me, I felt cathartic to have the chance to tell them what was really happening, pride, and then still get accepted.

excatly how i felt .. and i am sure many others felt the same way. :)

carn311 said:
When did anyone on this thread say that they were rejected from medical school? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to articulate...

Former premeds can make all the exucuses they want, but it comes down to the fact that they could not compete with other premeds, hence dentistry. I know the truth hurts sometimes, but someone's got to tell it one way or another :D

Blackstars said:
Former premeds can make all the exucuses they want, but it comes down to the fact that they could not compete with other premeds, hence dentistry. I know the truth hurts sometimes, but someone's got to tell it one way or another :D

was waiting for someone to say that!

Blackstars said:

I hate to say it, but in most cases this is true. THERE ARE SOME THAT LIKE DENTISTRY and those are the exceptions.

Although i have chosen dentistry.

In college i was pre-(whatever-the-hell-would-make-me-the-most-money) :)

I HATE medicine
I HATE dentistry

But seeing as how i had to chose one or the other, i chose dentistry becuase i could spend less time in school and make more money ;)

6-7 years in school for ortho (300K/yr) vs. 6-7 years in school for FP (120k/yr.) It was a pretty easy choice...

The only reason i would EVER choose dentistry over medicine is money..

Man, i am realy going to get flamed :rolleyes:

Blackstars said:

I for one kick every premeds as$ at my school when it comes to grades. I've gotten an A+ in every class I've taken for the past 4 quarters plus many more before that. That means that I was the top (or number 2) student in each of those classes (which were pretty much all upper division biology classes - full of pre-meds). I know I'm probably not the norm, but I hate this generalization.

I think the predents are the smart ones - they realize that there is more to life than work.

Blackstars said:

Oh no...we have a serious case of narrow-mindedness, which is ironic because you have a fat head. j/k -- sort of. I think it's important for you (and other premeds who share a similar mentality) to realize that not all of us predents are MD-wannabes and dentistry was not our backup. We are not "too stupid" to get into med school. Dentistry simply provides us a more gratifying career for a wide variety of reasons.

You can ramble all the crap you want about predents being "inferior" to premeds, but it'd be nice if you could add some humor or originality. :sleep: The whole "dental school is for people who can't get into med school" was so 90's. Four year olds won't even tell that joke anymore because it's so lame. Plus, is it really worth the effort to knock us predents because our passion differs from yours? Sounds like someone has issues! Dr. Phil, holler if you can hear me.

Is dental school easier to get into than med school? Probably

Does this mean that dental students are MD wannabe's? No

There are many dental students that are very qualified to attend med school, many chose not to follow medicine because they don't like the direction medicine has been going and they feel dentistry is a better fit for them.

I don't need the self-affirmation of calling myself a real doctor :D

drat said:
Oh no...we have a serious case of narrow-mindedness, which is ironic because you have a fat head. j/k -- sort of. I think it's important for you (and other premeds who share a similar mentality) to realize that not all of us predents are MD-wannabes and dentistry was not our backup. We are not "too stupid" to get into med school. Dentistry simply provides us a more gratifying career for a wide variety of reasons.

You can ramble all the crap you want about predents being "inferior" to premeds, but it'd be nice if you could add some humor or originality. :sleep: The whole "dental school is for people who can't get into med school" was so 90's. Four year olds won't even tell that joke anymore because it's so lame. Plus, is it really worth the effort to knock us predents because our passion differs from yours? Sounds like someone has issues! Dr. Phil, holler if you can hear me.

i think blackstars was flaming the pre-meds who choose dentistry as a backup. i don't think he is putting down the pre-dents who chose dentistry off the bat.

for me, i don't care what anyone does as long as i still get to go to dental school. :D

IWuvTeef said:
i think blackstars was flaming the pre-meds who choose dentistry as a backup. i don't think he is putting down the pre-dents who chose dentistry off the bat.

for me, i don't care what anyone does as long as i still get to go to dental school. :D
Yup, after rereading his post, you're right he didn't address the "predents" who were predents from the get-go. I (perhaps) wrongly assumed that he thought all predents were med school "rejects," to use his own word.

However, his claim that "this board is full of premed rejects" or something to that nature, is completely inaccurate and ignorant. That is what I wanted to address. He was hoping for a lil' riot from the predents, but the issue is tired and old.

Muppet Love said:
I hate to say it, but in most cases this is true. THERE ARE SOME THAT LIKE DENTISTRY and those are the exceptions.

Although i have chosen dentistry.

In college i was pre-(whatever-the-hell-would-make-me-the-most-money) :)

I HATE medicine
I HATE dentistry

But seeing as how i had to chose one or the other, i chose dentistry becuase i could spend less time in school and make more money ;)

6-7 years in school for ortho (300K/yr) vs. 6-7 years in school for FP (120k/yr.) It was a pretty easy choice...

The only reason i would EVER choose dentistry over medicine is money..

Man, i am realy going to get flamed :rolleyes:
Good luck, and I hope you don't dislike dentistry as much as you claim. Otherwise, dental school is going to be one hell of a long four years.

Blackstars said:
Oh heavens, our career choice has been made fun of by an anonymous flamer on a public message board. What ever shall we do to redeem ourselves in your eyes, glorious Blackstars? I have seen the most grievous error of my ways, and I only hope to follow your merciful benevolence to allopathic salvation in the land of milk and honey. Save us, Blackstars!

:rolleyes:

aphistis said:
Good luck, and I hope you don't dislike dentistry as much as you claim. Otherwise, dental school is going to be one hell of a long four years.

Actually, I'm PGY-1..

Even though i might not be really into dentistry, i still always received compliments on my work and always worked hard at my work..I believe that it is VERY possible to go into a career for the money but still do outstanding work (even better than those who say they "love" dentistry)..

Well, I'm a former med school student (not pre-med), who has left to become pre-dent.

To the guy that said that most pre-meds that switch over to dent because they can't compete with other pre-meds, you're insulting all pre-dents out there. Regardless of whether or not you were addressing pre-dents who were pre-dents from the start, you are saying that they aren't as smart or competitive as pre-meds, which is the reason some pre-meds feel they can do better against them. It's also degrading dentistry as a whole saying that it's not as "good" as medicine, since the people involved in it aren't as smart. This is clearly not the case. While a lot of pre-med students do switch over because they feel that dentistry is a lot easier to get into, dental school itself is a very difficult place to get yourself into. But you already knew that. I'd just choose my words more carefully next time and try not to be as blunt. It comes off the wrong way.

For those of us that do see a real reason to switch other than, "it's easier," I think our reasons are very well founded. The majority of us switch because we see the better hours, rare-if-any-calls, being able to spend MUCH more time with your family from the beginning rather than having to work like a dog until you're 35+, the relative ease of being able to own your own practice and not having to compete with hospital conglomerates, and the fact that there is no (required) residency for specialization as dentistry IS a specialization in and of itself, leaving the total schooling/job training at 4 years, rather than a minimum 5-6! Depsite the fact that those are the only reasons that a med student *usually* switches, those reasons, at least to me, are VERY valid, and should definitely be noted.

Anyways, yes, there are plenty of pre-meds that change their minds and make this ultimately life altering decision. My parents were devasted by this as there is no guarantee I will be accepted into a dental school. However, I plan to work hard as hell and get a great score on the DAT, I am shadowing a dentist right now, and I'm moving to Alabama in August with my girlfriend to get to know the admissions people and anyone related at UAB Dental better.

Blackstars said:

I think truth doesn't have to hurt. What hurts is to spend years pursuing something because it is out of pride. Pursuing something out of pride implies that one always feels empty, and to fill this emptiness with a constant work of some sort. I speak generally for dentistry, medicine, or any other profession. As a dentist, we ought to be aware that we aren't pursuing this out of our own emptiness.

The truth about pre-dent who can't make it? Does it hurt? I know that if I put in another year, I would have made medical schools. It doesn't hurt me that I'm doing dentistry.

I like to pose a rhetorical question, that is no response necessary, but it is something worth thinking about. I sense your post has a subtle implication of pride. Do you feel proud of being in medicine? If you do, then why? And, I like to further suggest questioning what is so good about being proud? Also what is so bad about feeling proud?

Another truth is that this game never stops. If you become a US Foreign Medical Student, a DO will look down at your or the other way. Then a MD will look down at you. If you became a MD, surgeon may look down at you. If you became a surgeon, a neurosurgeon may look down at you. If you became a neurosurgeon, an infant neurosurgeon may look down at you. If you became an infant neurosurgeon, someone else may look down at you.

Let me also pose this line of reasoning, which I claim to be faulty, but it highlights are discussion. "Former doctors can make all the exucuses they want, but it comes down to the fact that they could not compete with other specialty doctors, hence general practice. I know the truth hurts sometimes, but someone's got to tell it one way or another" This is quoted from you.

Perhaps, I simply decidely not to specialize. That's all.

By the way, thank you for posting. It allows me the opportunity to further understand myself. Peace to you.

C's will kill your chances for Med schools.

C's won't hurt your chances for Dent schools.

Not only have I heard this from my advisors but a lot of people on this forum. That's what bothers me. C's are below-average grades in college. A lot of Pre-Dents have C's and yet they get into dental schools.

I don't mean to be an a-hole but if you look at the stats of many of the people that are on this Pre-Dental forum, it's no wonder why Med's and other people look down upon dental students.

Sad but true.

Pikeyman said:

Not only have I heard this from my advisors but a lot of people on this forum. That's what bothers me. C's are below-average grades in college. A lot of Pre-Dents have C's and yet they get into dental schools.

I don't mean to be an a-hole but if you look at the stats of many of the people that are on this Pre-Dental forum, it's no wonder why Med's and other people look down upon dental students.

Sad but true.

last time i checked, a "C" was an average grade... :confused:

Pikeyman said:

Sad but true.

Most Pre-MD/students will look down on pre-DDS/students because MOST of us were not so competitive when it came to medical school admissions. In four years a newly graduated MD student will most likely have a newly graduated DDS student with a degree from the same parent institution. Both will have well respected jobs that improve the health of others. One more general and one very specific. They will make comparable amounts of money for their work, some more some less. Some will have more flexible work hours than others. Some may have had to work harder before professional school. But....at 12:00am....when all is said and done...the same car will be parked in the dentists garage as is in the MDs.

However, I find MD students (with exceptions of course):

1. Older than DDS students, since its "harder" to get into med school.
2. Less asthetically appealing than DDS students since this is the only way many of them will be able to attract a girl/man.

And NO, this is not a reflection of dental students financially inclined outlook on life, it is a reflection of human financially inclined outlook on life. Any MD, unless you come from a wealthy family, that says otherwise is damd liar. We all chase the buck in some way.

Pikeyman said:

Sad but true.

what kind of poor reasoning is that? I've brought this up before, and I'll do it again. Getting into teachers college, to get a degree in education, is easier than getting into dentistry. Does that give me any reason to look down on teachers?

There is no reason to look down on anybody. Premeds need to pull the stick out of their a@@ and just focus on their profession of saving lives, rather than trumpet their perceived high social status.

that's so weak man.

Muppet Love said:
Actually, I'm PGY-1..

Even though i might not be really into dentistry, i still always received compliments on my work and always worked hard at my work..I believe that it is VERY possible to go into a career for the money but still do outstanding work (even better than those who say they "love" dentistry)..
I stand corrected. What specialty?

SillyRabbit said:
La Miraflorina:

Hey, it seems like you're on the right track. Just one thing. I'd recommend applying in June and taking the DAT anytime before the end of august. This will enhance your chances of getting earlier interviews because the application takes several weeks to process. But the DAT can be sent in a matter of a couple days if not immediately transmitted to the schools. Good luck!

I didn't realize you could apply before taking the DAT! Can anyone out there explain the application timeline? What's the latest date I can take the DAT if I apply in June?

And not that this will do much good to stop the ridicuolus banter going on about pre-meds vs. pre-dents, but I feel the urge to say it anyway:

I'll tell you the main reason why I decided to drop my pursuit of medicine.

I've lived in a 3rd world country where the medical system was just a hair shy of being 100% socialized. People there believed that they deserved medical care, no matter how depraved they were. The poorer they were, the more care they deserved, so they thought. Can you imagine how much people respected doctors there? Doctors were no more than public servants who were "noble" because they were giving themselves away for the "greater good". And meanwhile, most doctors lived just above the poverty level. In fact, as a teacher I worked alongside many doctors because they weren't making ends meet as physicians. I also met doctors... as they drove me in their taxis.

I returned to the US, disgusted... only to find that my fellow Americans disrespect doctors just as they do in the 3rd world. The only difference is, there are enough wealthy people here to make up the difference when doctors are forced to give away their services for free or at severely discounted prices. So thankfully, they are able to command higher than average salaries, but not nearly what I would call "compensation" considering the 90+ hours they work each week.

I actually spoke with a lady who hadn't saved for her retirement but had landed a health plan that she proudly called, "free-care". She went to the best doctors in the best hospitals and clinics. She had multiple surgeries. And of course, numerous brand-name prescription drugs, all for free. The thing that burned me was how proud she was at herself for being a part of this plan. She never once mentioned the doctors, whose services and time she was using. She never wondered WHO was actually paying for her care. She apparently missed that day in kindergarten when they teach us that nothing is for free in this world. Somebody has to pay...

Soon after meeting that dispicable woman, I received a call from a "medical plan", because I, too, was on the hunt for insurance. Here's what the plan boiled down to: I pay them $170 a month. Anytime I want to visit a doctor, I call them first. Their "patient advocacy committee" then calls the doctor of my choice and dickers with him until a much lower price is agreed upon. I then go to the doctor and pay the severely reduced fee in cash, which, the agent explains, the doctors love. "Why," I ask, "would the doctor prefer to be paid only a fraction of his normal fee?" "Because," she answers, "under real health insurance policies, doctors don't get paid for nearly six months, and even then, it's a reduced amount." I thanked the b*tch and mulled that over in my head for a few days. Something in that conversation had struck a very deep nerve, but I couldn't figure it out just yet. Not fully believing the plan was for real, I called a doctor's office to inquire. The receptionist assured me they accepted the plan and, in fact, had many patients on it.

It was then that I realized the true mentality of people in this country... and around the world. Doctors are people who sacrifice their lives for the rest of humanity. They study harder than anyone else, sleep less than anyone else, and save more lives than anyone else. And what is the thanks they get? Patients who would rather pay some crooked insurance company $170 a month than pay a doctor the same amount for actually performing a service for them. And why do the doctors accept that kind of abuse? Because they aren't paid well by normal insurance companies anyway. They've accepted their status in life as the servants of humanity. I normally don't have pity for people who have willingly done this to themselves. But knowing the kind of dedication, perseverence and intelligence it takes to become a doctor, and knowing nearly all doctors head into the profession with the best of intentions, I have tremendous respect for each and every one who has persevered, despite finding themselves in the trap.

I realized I just couldn't submit myself to being a servant. While "medicine" is currently headed in the wrong direction, dentistry, as far as I know, is as it should be. Dentists work extremely hard, most do excellent work and they still enjoy life at any age. And no, it's not just about the money. For me, the added bonus is that I'll be able to do detail work with my hands, just as I had always wanted to do as a surgeon. I can't think of a better career than dentistry...

;)

drat said:

Hey Drat, isn't that ironic coming from a former premed. :sleep: I know the truth hurts, but sometimes you got to face it anyway. Just admit it you werent good enough to get into medicine, hence.....

IWuvTeef said:

I love you man, finally some with some sense. I'm just tired seeing all the premed rejects switching over to dentistry. I wonder what they'll do if they hack it in dental school or if they fail the boards....guess what will be next on their list. You guessed it pharmacy

Blackstars said:
I love you man, finally some with some sense. I'm just tired seeing all the premed rejects switching over to dentistry. I wonder what they'll do if they hack it in dental school or if they fail the boards....guess what will be next on their list. You guessed it pharmacy

i'm a girl :p

Pikeyman said:

Sad but true.
MrBenny said:
what kind of poor reasoning is that? I've brought this up before, and I'll do it again. Getting into teachers college, to get a degree in education, is easier than getting into dentistry. Does that give me any reason to look down on teachers?
If you look at the stats for incoming Med students, their stats are higher than Dents and Education students, which means that the Med students got more A's than Dents and Ed's, which means they put in more hours of studying than Dents and Ed's to get those A's.

As much as I hate to admit, because they did, in fact, put in the hours to get those A's, they have the right to say that they tried harder than the others, if they choose to, whether it'd be a condescending attitute towards Dents and Ed's or some other stuff.

I'm not saying they should but I'm saying they can.

I know there are Dents with stats that are just as competitve as Meds but decided to pursue dentistry for different reasons. I'm sure these folks wouldn't even care about what others like Meds think about them.

So what do I think? I think someone is insecure about himself.

Burn me as you like.

with Cs, it could go beyond "not studying enough."

there are many reasons that a student may end up with a C:

~they were ill/had fam. emergency during an important exam
~they worked long hours to put themselves through school on top of classes
~the person studied like crazy for the class but couldn't grasp the concepts
~the person took many challenging courses in the same semester
~the person didn't study enough :p
~etc.

what many interpret as laziness, could actually be something entirely different.

i don't think we should assume someone is not putting in a fair amount of work simply b/c they got a C in a class.

cheers

Blackstars said:

Take it from someone that has done both dental school AND medical school. There are very intelligent people in both professions. It has been my experience that dental school is much harder and more stressful than medical school although the medical boards are much more difficult. As for the intelligence comparison between the two, I haven't met anyone in medical school that is any brighter than my dental school classmates. However med school students tend to be more naive and have less common sense. There also seems to be more awkward-pesonality types. It is my opinion that more dental students could do well in medical school than vice versa. Heck I have met nurses and PAs that are a lot more intelligent than some med students.

What ever happened to Robert Romano after he lost his arm?

Pikeyman said:
If you look at the stats for incoming Med students, their stats are higher than Dents and Education students, which means that the Med students got more A's than Dents and Ed's, which means they put in more hours of studying than Dents and Ed's to get those A's.

As much as I hate to admit, because they did, in fact, put in the hours to get those A's, they have the right to say that they tried harder than the others, if they choose to, whether it'd be a condescending attitute towards Dents and Ed's or some other stuff.

I'm not saying they should but I'm saying they can.

I know there are Dents with stats that are just as competitve as Meds but decided to pursue dentistry for different reasons. I'm sure these folks wouldn't even care about what others like Meds think about them.

So what do I think? I think someone is insecure about himself.

Burn me as you like.

seriously, what is this? you ppl think someone can have a condescending attitude towards someone else because they got more A's than them? and just cause you got A's, that means you tried harder? Are you joking? Have you heard of somehting called grade inflation?

Look, I have no desire to turn this into a big issue. Really, it just boggles me, why med students must feel that they are allowed, or they "can" place themselves on a pedestal. And when I make a mention of it, I have ppl like pikeyman look down and tell me I'm insecure.

A dentist looks at teeth. A urologist looks at the bladder. A 1st grade teacher instills knowledge into young minds.

someone explain to me why the urologist is allowed to look down on the other 2, other than the assumption that this urologist got more A's in college.

Blackstars said:
Hey Drat, isn't that ironic coming from a former premed. :sleep: I know the truth hurts, but sometimes you got to face it anyway. Just admit it you werent good enough to get into medicine, hence.....

Are you being sarcastic?! Looking at some of your posts in other threads I think you're serious. You should watch what you say here, because I have the feeling you're just embarrassing yourself. You don't know who you're talking to, and what these people are all about. If you did know about people like drat I guarantee you wouldn't be able to look them in the eyes and say that 'dental students who were pre-med didn't have the grades for medicine.' But I guess it's pretty easy for you to hide behind the anonymity of SDN.

Myself, I was pre-med a long, long time ago. And I'm pretty confident I would've gotten into a decent med school. My GPA wasn't super-great (little above 3.6), but I had a 36Q first-try, bunch of leadership, and a few publications in some really good journals. But I concluded at the beginning of my junior year that medicine isn't that great of a career. And I think it's sad when I talk to pre-meds (even those actually in medical school) and it becomes apparent that they're in medicine because of pressure from mommy and daddy. I had that pressure too, but became strong enough to tell my parents to buzz off, and seized my life for myself. But I'm certainly not dumb enough to make the generalization that all those in medicine are in it because of societal or family pressure.

Blackstars said:
Sorry, wrong thread.