Anyone else apply to Waterloo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyedesire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all Canadians!
Anyone else applying to Waterloo? I'm guessing that Cdn students are also applying to US schools. I hate this waiting process. Anyone know exactly when Waterloo will start sending invites for interviews?

Did anyone not apply to Waterloo from Canada?

Members don't see this ad.

hey

i applied... i dont think applications start for the while... late spring i beileve.

I applied there last year and didn't get in. So this year I applied to ICO (and got in... yay!).

I've also applied to waterloo again this year, but i'm not holding out too much hope - my grades are very borderline for acceptance there.

Anyways I'm happy to be going to Chicago, so if i don't get into waterloo i won't be heartbroken.

I'm not sure when waterloo invites ppl for interviews, but I know that the main round of acceptances goes out in late june, though there are some early acceptances/rejections earlier than that.

Good luck to all who applied!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied this year. I applied last year too and never got in...it's one long waiting game.
They called me in early-mid March about an interview (althought I never went until late April because of a snow storm). I think that internal applicants are interviewed first...but I don't know for sure. It's my impression (it makes sense to me since internal applicants have to have things in earlier too).
I never received my rejection letter until about a week into June.
As soon as anyone hears anything update us!

from what ive been told from waterloo.. i dont think they discriminate between internal/external applicants.. by internal, i am assuming you are talking about those students who already attend waterloo.. they claim that everyone has an equal chance, whether you are from waterloo or not.

im also not expecting to get it, im borderline as well.. but i did it to make my parents happy because they want me to stay in canada.

what undergrad institutions do u guys go to?

from waterloo's FAQ page:

The Admissions Committee does not consider the university of origin (where you’re applying from) in their admission decision nor do they have quotas from other provinces or countries. Your chances are just as good whether you’re applying from a university within or outside of Canada. The Admissions Committee does not give University of Waterloo students preferential treatment over applicants from other universities.

Its a killer wait, just because if US schools get back to me, I'm gonna have to put down a deposit for a school without knowing whats going on with waterloo :scared:

I've applied this year. I applied last year too and never got in...it's one long waiting game.
They called me in early-mid March about an interview (althought I never went until late April because of a snow storm). I think that internal applicants are interviewed first...but I don't know for sure. It's my impression (it makes sense to me since internal applicants have to have things in earlier too).
I never received my rejection letter until about a week into June.
As soon as anyone hears anything update us!

Hey Hutch,
How was the interview like?? Was it really stressful? How many interviewers? How long was it?
Thx for the feedback :D

Has anyone heard of someone rejecting Waterloo to go to a US school?

Ya, they all 'say' that. That doesn't mean they follow it. If they admitted to being even slightly biased, uhoh for them.

Yeah, that sounds like a PC cover our butts statement if I've ever heard one...

Their "statement of non bias" is total BS...I have talked to people on their admissions committee who even admit that there is preference given to student from Ontario and student from other provinces who give more money and have more alum....good for you guys applying to the US...the programs down here are amazing and you will get an amazing education with a broad scope. A lot of people agree that Waterloo needs to get off their high horse and change their admissions criteria. I have a lot of family friend who are optometrists and it is often a topic of discussion among provincial socieites about how "generic" waterloo's grads are becoming, it is really too bad that they dont accept a greater diversity of people, but what can you do? they have a monopoly....

Hi all Canadians!
Anyone else applying to Waterloo? I'm guessing that Cdn students are also applying to US schools. I hate this waiting process. Anyone know exactly when Waterloo will start sending invites for interviews?

Did anyone not apply to Waterloo from Canada?

I am in my first year of opt at Waterloo. Last year, the interviews/early acceptances were given out in late March (this is how it was in my province, but I think it was approximately the same time line across Canada). The rest of the acceptances were given out in early June. If you have any questions feel free to post away or PM me. Good luck!!:luck:

pre_opt_sku,

what province are you from? Is there a special province order that they do things in?

pre_opt_sku,

what province are you from? Is there a special province order that they do things in?

I'm from Saskatchewan. I don't think there is any special order they do things in.... I'm pretty sure we all find out things at the same time across Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I didn't mean to imply that Waterloo "discriminates" between internal and external applicants. All I meant by that was that on the application it clearly said that internal applicants (UW students) had to have things in before external applicants. And I thought I remembered from a thread last year that internal applicants were interviewed earlier, but don't quote me on that. Whether they actually discriminate or not, who knows...they say they don't and there's nothing I can do anyways but just hope for the best. :)

My interview last year was okay (well it was good, except that I didn't get in, so let's call it okay). It was my first interview so I was pretty nervous, but the interview itself was not stressful at all. There were two interviewers, they were both really nice and made me feel comfortable. The interview questions were pretty typical, no different than what you read about in the SDN forums...I can't remember how long it was...half an hour maybe?

And add to the province thing (not that this has to do with order, but it's interesting), the interviewers didn't come to my province. I would expect that they don't go to every province, but I'm from Newfoundland so getting off the island is a hassel (especially when there's a snowstorm at the end of March that cancelled the interview!).

When I applied to Waterloo last year, I was in my third year. I never expected to get in, but applying didn't hurt and if anything, I learned from the whole process. So this year I applied to US schools as well. I was offered interviews at all three, but ended up only going to one after finding out I was accepted. I put my deposit down on a seat right away. I'm hoping for Waterloo, it's soooo much cheaper. So eyedesire, I know what you mean that it sucks to put down a deposit on a seat, when it just might go to waste if you get into Waterloo. I just look at it as what's $500 going to matter if I get into Waterloo and save thousands! :D

Hutch,

I'm so sure that you'll get an interview if you got one last time ;)
Good luck with that!! Which US school did you put your deposit down at? I just had my interviews last week but I can't wait to hear back so I can start making some decisions.

Its almost tempting to just forget Waterloo and just go straight to the US schools but once again, its that tuition again :scared:

AS of right now, I'm going to IU. I loved it there! but it's just like you said...$30,000 vs $9,000-$10,000?! hm...haha
All the Canadians...what US schools (if any) have you been accepted/applied/interviewed?

AS of right now, I'm going to IU. I loved it there! but it's just like you said...$30,000 vs $9,000-$10,000?! hm...haha
All the Canadians...what US schools (if any) have you been accepted/applied/interviewed?

waterloo is only an hour away.. so itd be great if i got in.. but im not having any expectations!

i've interviewed at PCO, and have an interview at NOVA this week, and NECO in March.

Im also waiting to hear from ICO

I applied to SUNY, ICO, NECO, interviewed at all last week and found out today that I'm accepted at ICO and NECO! :D

I'm on hold at SUNY right now.

I applied to SUNY, ICO, NECO, interviewed at all last week and found out today that I'm accepted at ICO and NECO! :D

I'm on hold at SUNY right now.
congrats eyedesire!!! have u decided where you're going to go? or are you gonna hold out for waterloo and/or suny?

Hey guys,

I applied to Waterloo too. I have already been accepted at SUNY and Berkeley so I'm not sure if I'd go. It would be a whole lot cheaper though....

congrats eyedesire!!! have u decided where you're going to go? or are you gonna hold out for waterloo and/or suny?

I'm still going to put down a deposit somewhere before Waterloo, but I can't decide whether to go to NECO or ICO. Any thoughts?

Still waiting for SUNY...!

Just so you know, just because Waterloo gave you an interview after your 3rd year, doesnt mean you will get one this year. My grades, extracurricular and opto. experience ALL improved after my 1st unsuccessful interview for Waterloo...I obviously expected another interview, as 6 of the schools in the US offered me interviews AND acceptances...however, the only response I got from Waterloo the 2nd time around was an Emailed rejection letter....goodluck to you all...SCCORocks!

Hey guys,
I didn't mean to imply that Waterloo "discriminates" between internal and external applicants. All I meant by that was that on the application it clearly said that internal applicants (UW students) had to have things in before external applicants. And I thought I remembered from a thread last year that internal applicants were interviewed earlier, but don't quote me on that. Whether they actually discriminate or not, who knows...they say they don't and there's nothing I can do anyways but just hope for the best. :)

My interview last year was okay (well it was good, except that I didn't get in, so let's call it okay). It was my first interview so I was pretty nervous, but the interview itself was not stressful at all. There were two interviewers, they were both really nice and made me feel comfortable. The interview questions were pretty typical, no different than what you read about in the SDN forums...I can't remember how long it was...half an hour maybe?

And add to the province thing (not that this has to do with order, but it's interesting), the interviewers didn't come to my province. I would expect that they don't go to every province, but I'm from Newfoundland so getting off the island is a hassel (especially when there's a snowstorm at the end of March that cancelled the interview!).

When I applied to Waterloo last year, I was in my third year. I never expected to get in, but applying didn't hurt and if anything, I learned from the whole process. So this year I applied to US schools as well. I was offered interviews at all three, but ended up only going to one after finding out I was accepted. I put my deposit down on a seat right away. I'm hoping for Waterloo, it's soooo much cheaper. So eyedesire, I know what you mean that it sucks to put down a deposit on a seat, when it just might go to waste if you get into Waterloo. I just look at it as what's $500 going to matter if I get into Waterloo and save thousands! :D

i wouldn't fret - i interviewed twice, got in the second time (off the waitlist, but i'm still in). most people who interviewed twice got in, or applied twice got in. course, i don't know the stats on rejects, but i didn't really do much to improve my application outside of picking up a course or two, i had everything after three years.

either way, waterloo's admissions is like a dart board, they look at grades/OAT for early acceptances and then go down the list. doesn't seem like extra currics mean much to them, nor what you did in your undergrad...

i just got a financial package today from UWaterloo about the deadline to apply for an entrance bursary on April 20,2007. Does that mean we find out if we have been accepted or not before that date?

You got a package from the School? Cuz the deadline for the complete application was yesterday. I wonder if they send those to everyone or just to people that they feel will be prospect students.

They probably send that to everyone. Its information about admission bursuries and stuff like that - they probably have to tell everyone about that.

I live 1.5 hours away from Waterloo. maybe i just got it first

Does anyone know how Waterloo evaluates the candidates. Is it 50% GPA and 50% OAT scores or some other weighting combination? Does anyone know?

Waterloo has started to give out interviews to internal candidates... FYI

As well as external :)
Mine's march 27th!

Congrats to those who have been granted an interview! how were you notified of your interview, a letter? email? phone?

Does anyone know how Waterloo evaluates the candidates. Is it 50% GPA and 50% OAT scores or some other weighting combination? Does anyone know?

Waterloo is all GPA and OAT. They don't care about your extracurricular. ASlong as you're top of the class you'll get in, so don't worry. I applied in my 3rd yr and 4th in undergrad there and I'm at PCO now and happy.

They called me after I graduated from pre-opt for donations.............riteeeeee :rolleyes: Not a penny! :thumbdown:

those of you who got interviews...do you mind sharing your stats?

I received a phone call about my interview yesterday.
My OAT TS/AA was 330.
My cumulative GPA is 3.73

Hi Hutch

Do you mind telling me where you are from? And did WL directly phone you to invite you for the interview? They are flying to your province rite?

Got an interview for April 3rd! Hooray!

Hi Hutch

Do you mind telling me where you are from? And did WL directly phone you to invite you for the interview? They are flying to your province rite?

KJH,
Yes, Waterloo directly called me.
I'm from NL.
No, the interviewers don't come here...I have to go to NB.

Hi 12en

May I ask what degree you have or will have and what kind of experience you have?

Hi 12en

May I ask what degree you have or will have and what kind of experience you have?

Hi KHJ,

I will be graduating this year with a degree in Biological Sciences. As for experience, I have been working as an optometric assistant for about a year and a half. Hope this helps, and good luck!

just wondering if the people who have been granted interviews are people who are outside of ontario.

Has anyone from Ontario gotten an interview?

Congrats to those who have interviews, that is great

Hey l2en,

I'm interviewing on the same day! In Edmonton?

Yeah in Edmonton! what time is yours? haha you go to the UofA i'm assuming...maybe i know who you are..hmmm haha

I'm an internal applicant currently at Waterloo,

Calls for interviews went out in the last week of february and the first week of march. Apparently, interviews have been booked up until middle April.

Interviews began this past week, as many of my friends have already been interviewed (with the earliest being this monday, march 5)

Goodluck to all the applicants =)

"Calls for interviews went out in the last week of february and the first week of march"

Does that mean all interview calls were made in those two weeks and they won't be inviting anyone else or those were just the first round of interview invitations sent out?

hey guys,

I' live in B.C. I had a Q about pre-req's. Im familiar with all the pre-reqs one has to take in order to be conisderd for admission, but can one take extra courses to bump up their GPA ? i.e arts or science courses.

also it says 3.5 gpa is the cut-off line. so If I have a 3.5 gpa does that mean I will likely not get in ?

Thanks, congrats to the hard-workers who got in!!

Yeah in Edmonton! what time is yours? haha you go to the UofA i'm assuming...maybe i know who you are..hmmm haha

I go to UofC, but they aren't coming to calgary this year :(
That means I have to find a hotel to stay in for monday night (but i guess thats better than paying for a flight to Ontario!!)

My interview is at 10:30, you?

Where does it say that 3.5 gpa is the cut-off line? Is that for this years applicants?

They send the financial aid packet to everyone

Hey guys,
So who else out there has accepted a seat at a US school but is waiting to hear back from Waterloo? What are you guys doing about housing? Are you waiting 'til June to hear back from Waterloo, then looking for somewhere to live in the fall at a US school...or will you look for a place to live in the US now? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are...:)

Where does it say that 3.5 gpa is the cut-off line? Is that for this years applicants?

The cutoff, as it has been for a very long time, is 75% or 3.0/4.0. Of course, to be competitive at UW you definately need to have a gpa greater than 3.5 and probably at least closer to a 3.7 if not higher.