All Branch Topic (ABT) Anyone else considering changing gender?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M-tab

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Purely hypothetical at this point, but if a physician were to suddenly declare trans status in the wake of our commander in chief's tweets, what do you suppose would happen? I understand there is no official policy in place yet, but if that were to happen...

Potential avenues:
1. Investigation by OSI/NCIS for fraud of some sort
2. Some sort of waiver process to stay in
3. Discharged from the military and pay back the obligation through some other federal service
4. Discharged from the military completely free

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to speak to my specialty leader about my transition. He promptly told me I had 2 years left of service and hung up the phone. Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a group email from my commander that basically said "everyone calm down, tweets don't set policy, zero tolerance on discrimination "

Reactions: 1 user
On a related note, I joined just after DADT ended. Prior to that, does anyone remember how command would react to physicians who were openly homosexual?

On a related note, I joined just after DADT ended. Prior to that, does anyone remember how command would react to physicians who were openly homosexual?
They were less open about it for obvious reasons.

I never got the impression anyone really cared.

I did know one openly gay doctor post-DADT and while I think he was broadly accepted in the command, I'm pretty sure the overall Navy culture and history left him somewhat anxious at times.

Medicine and the medical corps tend to be populated with more tolerant people than society as a whole. Tolerance is correlated with education and we have a lot of that. Our profession attracts compassion and our training reinforces it (generally speaking). The line is another world entirely.

However, not being gay myself and having never had the threat of job loss and other UCMJ crap hanging over me, my imagination of what it was like to be gay in the DADT era probably shouldn't be taken at face value.

You may as well be asking a bunch of guys what it's like to be a woman. (I imagine it's just like being a guy, but with more pillow fights.)

Reactions: 1 users