M-tab

2+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Purely hypothetical at this point, but if a physician were to suddenly declare trans status in the wake of our commander in chief's tweets, what do you suppose would happen? I understand there is no official policy in place yet, but if that were to happen...

Potential avenues:
1. Investigation by OSI/NCIS for fraud of some sort
2. Some sort of waiver process to stay in
3. Discharged from the military and pay back the obligation through some other federal service
4. Discharged from the military completely free

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think they're smart enough to not use #4, otherwise probably 25% or more of the military will suddenly be trans.

About the Ads
D

deleted480308

I just got a group email from my commander that basically said "everyone calm down, tweets don't set policy, zero tolerance on discrimination "

Reactions: 1 user

M-tab

2+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
On a related note, I joined just after DADT ended. Prior to that, does anyone remember how command would react to physicians who were openly homosexual?

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Home again
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
On a related note, I joined just after DADT ended. Prior to that, does anyone remember how command would react to physicians who were openly homosexual?
They were less open about it for obvious reasons.

I never got the impression anyone really cared.

I did know one openly gay doctor post-DADT and while I think he was broadly accepted in the command, I'm pretty sure the overall Navy culture and history left him somewhat anxious at times.

Medicine and the medical corps tend to be populated with more tolerant people than society as a whole. Tolerance is correlated with education and we have a lot of that. Our profession attracts compassion and our training reinforces it (generally speaking). The line is another world entirely.

However, not being gay myself and having never had the threat of job loss and other UCMJ crap hanging over me, my imagination of what it was like to be gay in the DADT era probably shouldn't be taken at face value.

You may as well be asking a bunch of guys what it's like to be a woman. (I imagine it's just like being a guy, but with more pillow fights.)

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.