1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone else curious?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by acrunchyfrog, Mar 15, 2007.

1. acrunchyfrog

acrunchyfrog In memory of Riley
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    After reading some other posts about favorite OMM techniques I'm tempted to pick up a used copy of Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine (or some other OMM text) to learn more about it. Has anyone else done this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    Let me think for a moment ....

NO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pineapple

pineapple Guest

Medical Student
    Movies and hanging with friends and going on dates and origami and cooking chili and visiting the beach and reading fiction and spending time outdoors are all fun things to do.

4. OP
    OP
    acrunchyfrog

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well hey, to each their own. What I'm getting at is that while we're told that DOs learn OMM, I want to know what OMM is. Have other pre-osteo students have looked into this more deeply than the superficial(but suitable for lay people) answers usually given?

5. DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The best way to find out what OMM is is to find a doc who uses it and watch them. I was an LMT and I had a chance to use some OMM techniques in practice before starting school. Even knowing a little bit, I checked a copy of Foundations out of the library, but it didn't make a whole lot of sense. It's OK as a reference, but not exactly user-friendly for the lay reader.

You might check out this ACOFP site for a little taste of what's to come OMM-wise. Another thought is to look at some of Leon Chaitow's books, esp the one on muscle energy and maybe the one on positional release. He's a British DO, but his books come with video clips so you can actually see the techniques being performed. His books are probably about as easy to read as it gets.

The advice given to just chill before school starts is probably worth thinking about, too, although I understand your desire to learn a little bit before school starts. You'll be getting all the OMM you want soon enough.

6. OP
    OP
    acrunchyfrog

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Very true on both accounts. Although from past experience one my curiosity is satisfied I'll go back to enjoying most of those things that Pineapple mentioned, plus a few others.

7. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

You might want to skip the FOM text for now. It's BIG, heavy, & expensive. While it's usually a required text on some department list, I think most students (if not all) easily get by without it.

If you're this interested, buy one of the OMT reviews, like "EASY OMT". Books like these are much cheaper, have better pictures and much more to-the-point.