1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone else double (triple or more) depositing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by cherr1pop, Dec 5, 2008.

1. cherr1pop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know I really should make a decision and open up the spot for someone else waiting but I really don't want to regret 2 months later and I really think having some extra time to think about it will help. Is anyone else turning in the deposit to more than one school?

(I'm not just depositing to every school I heard back from. I was accepted to my two top choice schools and I just need more time to think about it. I will be turning in withdrawal forms for other schools I heard back from.)

I just need to tell the schools before May 1st to withdraw my application once I make my final decision on which of the two schools to attend. Right?

I read a couple of threads about this but one of them I read http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=518282&highlight=new+rule says something about a 'new rule'?

& Everyone good luck on your finals! :luck:

#1 cherr1pop, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    No. If you cannot make a decision in 45 days how will another 45+ help?

Send me the cash, I need some about now :laugh::laugh::laugh:

3. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I will most likely be sending in my deposit to NYU but if better offer comes along then I guess thats $1500 goodbye. However in the long run it would be cheaper not to go there and lose the $1500 :rolleyes:

Great school just crazy expensive

4. DrReo

10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    You and I are on the same expense thoughts, well done.

5. cherr1pop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  6. cobalt31

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    i am strongly considering triple depositing... although technically it would only be double depositing because San Antonio doesn't require a deposit :thumbup:

7. theskibumjohnso

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am going to leave a deposit at all 7 schools I got into because I am just that special.

8. paul510psu

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You people must be rolling in cash.

If I were in your situation, and I am, then I would go visit your top two schools again and see what the school is really like when they aren't trying to "sell" their schools to you. I'll be re-re-touring Pittsburgh and Maryland during my Christmas break to ensure that I make the right decision and save myself some money.

9. cobalt31

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    unfortunately, no school i'm considering is closer than 1000 miles from where i am now. it would be far more expensive to pay for airfare to visit these schools, let alone take time off work to go visit them. one school i want has no deposit, the other is 250, hardly bankbusters.

however, UCSF is $1000... i'll think very hard before i put down that deposit.

10. MKD1960

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'll probably make my decision very close to deadline, I can't afford 2 deposits.

11. toothygoodness

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi Paul! Let me know what you decide and why! I have to make the SAME call :)

12. cherr1pop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Both of my deposits are $500 so it'll come out to $1000 total, which is less than some of the deposits just for one school out there... and i really think that's an investment that could potentially save a lot of regret later on (and an xmas present my parents are willing to give me).
    i will be touring both of the schools again but i can't make it to both schools before the deposit deadline and i don't want to worry about the mail getting there on time if i send it in 2 days before the deadline..
    thank you for the replies. i guess i'm not the only one agonizing over this decision. (congrats to everyone! we not only managed to get into one dental school, but many of them! :) keep up the good work! don't let your grades slide too much!)

#12 cherr1pop, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  13. Flossy13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    How about you guys stop being selfish and make up your mind, there are a lot of people waiting.

congrats, thats awesome that you got in, take your time and decide where you want to go, but do you really need more than 45 days to decide between 2 schools??

I worked really hard as well, and i didnt make the cut (yet at least).. but please think about how you felt on nov. 30 and realize that some people will be in that position until we hear our final acceptance or denial in march..

45 days should be plenty of time to make up your mind.

14. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Congratz on your acceptances pal, but people are waiting, talk to your fam about it and choose already

15. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    There's no reason to have more than 2 deposits. At least bring down the choice to 2 schools jeez, could you be more indecisive? 3+ deposits? seriously... :rolleyes:

I don't think it's selfish to choose between several acceptances, I mean we earned it, earned that choice. However, it's just plain stupid to put down more than 2 deposits. You could be Donald Trump or Bill Gates and you'd still be an idiot if you threw away $1000 more than you had to. Don't be a fool.

I thought about double depositing, but I'm very set on UIC ($300 deposit :D). I already freed up my seat at Pitt, and I'll be doing the same at Michigan in a week or so, which opens a seat for those in waiting. ;)

16. DrReo

10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    A fellow American who understands common courtesy!

17. Lopyswine

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    do not listen to the posters above.

you have EVERY right to take all the time the school allows. Its a big deal to choose a school, there are several factors involved:

1) cost
    2) location
    3) when do you take boards
    4) clinic exposure
    5) specialty rates
    6) IS IT THE PROPER FIT

don't allow yourself to rushed. Take you time and go the school thats best for you. Believe me, they will be people ready to take your place at the schools after you make your decision.

Do not feel bad for the schools. They'll fill the spots. Do not feel bad for the other students waiting. You worked hard to be where you are don't get hasty at the last minute.

18. lafuturedent82

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I completely agree with what most people are saying here. I've only received one acceptance so far and I am anxiously waiting for the second round to hear from my other top choices. You really need to think hard and make up your mind in a timely manner. I have a feeling that EVERYONE here has worked hard so just narrow it down to your top two at the very least people!!

19. trident007

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Cherr1pop, at this point I think I am going to be putting down three deposits. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss this decision with my family, in person, before making my final decision, and unfortunately I won't be able to do that, and get the deposit mailed in, within the 30-45 day deadline.

I think you should do what you need to in order to feel comfortable with your decision and then once a decision has been made then the considerate thing to do is to let the schools know so the waitlist can move. The schools will not have any trouble filling their spots and it is still VERY early in the application cycle. Just my two cents.

#19 trident007, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  20. I-Baby

I-Baby Scared Straight
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Agreed. I think people should be given the time they need to figure it out. It would be different if we knew everything there was to know about each school prior to being accepted, but for most, we haven't been given very much exposure to every single program we applied to. If you need to go back and get a better feel for a particular school then that's what should be done. This is an investment, and like any investment you want to know that you made a decent decision.

21. cherr1pop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you very much for the helpful advices.
    Yes, I will be depositing to two schools at the most (i'm actually getting close to depositing to just one. heard back from one of the two top choices, they offered me a scholarship).
    I will be going back to the schools to get another tour. I feel like I will definitely have a different perspective touring the schools with the acceptance letter in hand.
    I will be withdrawing my applications from other schools that I was accepted to/haven't heard back from after finals. (I had everything sent to my parent's house and I don't have the withdrawal forms on hand right now.)
    Thank you once again.

22. RAK1987

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    personally, my deposits are too expensive... i would never dream of putting down 1500 or 2000 dollars that wouldnt be refunded. fortunately, UConn is one of my top choices and it is only like $400. so i will for sure put that deposit down... and i will probably only put another down if i really cant make a decision... plus i still waiting from a few schools...

23. FutureDDS2013

Pre-Dental
    Honestly, this is ridiculous! They give you 6 weeks to make a decision, how much longer do you need. If you can't make a decision in that time put the two schools in a hat, close your eyes and pull one. Let destiny choose for you.

24. 206127

Dental Student
    Just one deposit here... I've spent enough on this app process and I really love Marquette...

25. vlct0ria

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I have to agree with most other posts in saying why on Earth do you need more than the 6 weeks?? Props to people who were offered multiple acceptances...its one thing to not withdraw your application immediately before you make your decision, but you're talkin about putting MONEY (lots of it) down and basically telling the school that seat is yours. I'm not even applying til next cycle, but I definitely see where some of these people are coming from when they say they're worried about people not giving up seats at schools they won't be attending.

26. caloriefree

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Man! If I were fortunate enough to be in your shoes, I would agonize over which school to attend for about a week and make the deposit to that school. Plus, I would definitely treat myself to something nice with the deposit money that I was about to send to another school. But that's just me.

Congrats and GL to those who have to make this decision. :thumbup:

27. cherr1pop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know that putting down the deposit sounds like a lot of money but what if you put down 2 deposits and end up hearing back from one of the two about a scholarship? that would actually save you a lot of money later on when you attend dental school.
    for me 6 weeks isn't going to be enough because about 3 weeks of it is taken up by finals, and i still have one more interview to go to.
    if i could sit around for 6 entire weeks and weigh out my options i would definitely do that.
    even if i do double deposit, i will let the schools know before march/april that i will not be attending so the spot goes to someone else.

28. theskibumjohnso

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Please tell me which school you get into or choose, because I don't want to go to the same school as you.
    Thank you much appreciated

29. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Why? Because he is smart? What on earth did he say to make you write that? Maybe it should be the other way around. Sure you need time to make your decision, you don't need excel spreadsheets of data, blueprints spread over a huge table, and video archives to make a decision. Did people here research the schools they got into that they plan on holding multiple acceptances with? I thought that's the point of the lag period, the feedback threads, and the actual tour while on campus.

30. I-Baby

I-Baby Scared Straight
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What made you say that? :confused:

31. cherr1pop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i will also be visiting my top choices agan but i can't make time until few days before or after the deadline and i dont want to worry about whether my deposit will get there on time if i send it in two days before 1/15.
    good luck on your tours and decision!
    p.s. dont mind ppl like theskibumjohnso. our time is too precious for that. :)

32. silveryhair

5+ Year Member

yeah, visiting is a good idea. take your time, but try to decide before jan 15th. Many ppl are waiting. I have 4 acceptances and its a hard decision! good luck!

33. kimpchskills

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Wait, hold on a sec - aren't you not allowed to put down multiple deposits anymore? I've been told by deans and admissions people that that is against the rules now. When I was at my interview at Midwestern I distinctly remember the admissions coordinator telling us "...and DO NOT put down a deposit at more than 1 school, because we WILL find out..."

Kind of an ominous warning - I'm not exactly sure what the consequence would be but I got the idea that they would rescind your acceptance. Am I completely off base here? I expected more of the previous posts to say the same thing...

Anyhow, I'm in a pre-dental club that gives me the opportunity to meet with dental school deans throughout the year... and they seemed to mirror this sentiment. So just my personal opinion - I would advise against it. Take the 45 days and make a decision.

34. vlct0ria

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Oh I hope that's true...what school wants a student who has commitment issues? Make a decision and be confident in it, you have plenty of time to do so!

35. DrSphinx

DrSphinx Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

The rule is the same one that's been in place for a few years...on May 1st (or 15th I can't remember specifically) all the schools are informed of the students holding multiple spots at which time the schools are allowed to revoke your acceptance. So you definitely need to know by the 1st (or 15th) of May. Other than that it's the people's right to hold multiple spots - as long as they're willing to lose the money at the school they don't go to.

36. girlygirl87

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

I was told the same thing...the deposits are recorded with your aadsas #....and double deposits will red flag you. They don't want to accept their entire class in mid-May was their logic.I wasn't sure what would happen but it was strongly discouraged. He did say they would find out and it won't be good.

Make a decision...go visit each then decide.

37. DrReo

10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    If this is the case, make many decisions! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

38. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I went to 9 interviews and they never said anything about redflagging you for multiple deposits. Im not sure how much this is frowned on but one would figure that double depositing is very common, esp at cheaper schools.

39. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Personally, I thnk that schools love when you double deposit, esp money hungry NYU, cuz then when yo withdraw they keep your deposit and make 3k off you. Thats all that NYU cares about anyways so they should be thrilled.

40. dentite12345

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I too have heard that schools are notified though AADSAS or other means of students double depositing, or more.
    What I was told is that some will not drop you if they find out (more money for them, not worried about filling class, etc), but they have a right if they want to, and some will.
    I'm not taking the risk, or wasting the money.

41. TJNova2011

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I did this back in the day...

It's a tough choice and I think you earn that time, with some cash, to make your decision. GL!

42. ryanaj

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am pretty sure that you just have to decide before all of the schools share their database with each other and choose for you. I can't see why it would be frowned upon to send multiple deposits for more time to make a decision so long as you decide before they are notified that you have multiple deposits. Otherwise, if you got a late acceptance at your top choice you wouldn't be able to make the deposit there without being redflagged. However, I think it is stupid to need more time than 45 days to decide which school you want to go to. You toured them all, and if you felt equally at ease at each school then go for the cheaper option. You may even call the two prospective schools and ask about what kinds of scholarships are available and the likelihood that you would get them. Besides if one of your top schools has already offered you a scholarship and money is an issue for you then you would be dumb to throw it away by making multiple deposits.

43. paul510psu

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm pretty sure that when my decision is made it will end with a deposit at the University of Pittsburgh. Something about it just felt better. Don't get me wrong though, I feel as though I can't make an incorrect decision here because Maryland is an amazing school and a wonderful opportunity.

I feel very fortunate to have been accepted at three great schools. I have already notified Case Western that I will not be accepting their offer so somebody will be getting the good news soon.

I don't know what that one person's problem was. I think we've all earned the right to take a little bit of time deciding.

Good luck to all with the process.

44. paul510psu

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I know it's tough for some people to re-tour schools. It costs a lot to travel, I know what you mean. Fortunately, the schools that accepted me are all pretty close to my home (<5 hours by car), so I'll at least attempt to re tour them.

Thanks for the good wishes! Good luck with your decision as well!

Yeah i'm not sure what theskibumjohnso's problem is.

45. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Is it common for people to re-tour schools that they've been accepted to? How do you go about doing that? And are schools relatively cool about that?

46. paul510psu

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    At my maryland interview they suggested re-touring if you were still on the fence.

So I would think that it was pretty common. Don't really have anything to back that up though.

47. cherr1pop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yea i called the schools the day after my acceptance cause i knew i would want another tour and they said i could come in whenever the building's open and do a self guided tour cause they've already took me around once. i dont think too many schools would have a problem with it.

48. pbrooks

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    this thread could go on forever with people arguing, but i wanted to bring up a point:
    If you have a ton of acceptances, do what you want with them (no one else will persuade you from leaving deposits at all of them) because at the end of the summer all the decisions will get made, its just a matter of sooner or later.
    BUT, if you cant decide on a school because you still havent heard from your number 1 school, think carefully and dont leave deposits all over the place, because you could be holding a spot that is #1 to a person at your top school. Its just something to think about

49. NyCzPeter

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I actually heard that for undergrad, if a school finds out that you double or triple deposited, they can revoke your acceptance. Dunno if that applies to dental school though. Should make sure though, just in case

50. GNF8300

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It doesn't apply to dental school. If you "dunno" if it applies, then I suggest not saying something like this. I know I'll have a couple of deposits down for my own personal reasons. I don't feel guilty about doing it because I can see myself at each of the schools. If I had six weeks to devote solely to researching the schools/cities (edit: reflecting on what I learned there during my visit), I'd have one deposit. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time, and I haven't had it up until now. Could I close my eyes and spin a wheel? Yep. Will I leave it up to how I "feel" about the schools? Nope. I only say this because this is a decision that needs to be thought through instead of culmination of feelings. It's been a couple of months since visiting the schools, so our perceptions of what we "felt" at the school can become distorted, whether we like it or not. I would strongly advise against choosing a school for the sake of choosing a school.

#50 GNF8300, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008