Anyone else double (triple or more) depositing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do not listen to the posters above.

you have EVERY right to take all the time the school allows. Its a big deal to choose a school, there are several factors involved:

1) cost
2) location
3) when do you take boards
4) clinic exposure
5) specialty rates
6) IS IT THE PROPER FIT

don't allow yourself to rushed. Take you time and go the school thats best for you. Believe me, they will be people ready to take your place at the schools after you make your decision.

Do not feel bad for the schools. They'll fill the spots. Do not feel bad for the other students waiting. You worked hard to be where you are don't get hasty at the last minute.

I completely disagree. As someone who is on the wait list of a school and who worked equally as hard as any of you, I think you should make a decision so that other people don't have to keep their lives on hold for any longer. It's not like you haven't researched these schools or been thinking about this moment for the past several years. I really think you're doing your fellow applicant a disservice. Try and imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. How would you feel?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't not apply to dental school. If you "dunno" if it applies, then I suggest not saying something like this. I know I'll have a couple of deposits down for my own personal reasons. I don't feel guilty about doing it because I can see myself at each of the schools. If I had six weeks to devots solely to researching the schools/cities, I'd have one deposit. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time, and I haven't had it up until now. Could I close my eyes and spin a wheel? Yep. Will I leave it up to how I "feel" about the schools? Nope. I only say this because this is a decision that needs to be thought through instead of culmination of feelings. It's been a couple of months since visiting the schools, so our perceptions of what we "felt" at the school can become distorted, whether we like it or not. I would strongly advise against choosing a school for the sake of choosing a school.

So wait, you didn't research the schools before you applied? The decision shouldn't take months, you've done your extensive research- online, asking graduate, current dental students and visited the school. I really hope you can make decisions quicker in dental school and well, especially where you will want to practice (start thinking about that now :laugh:)!

I have been accepted to two schools and I have an interview on Jan 8th at UCSF. I plan to give my deposit to NYU, and then wait for post December interviews and hopefully acceptance. I personally think 45 days is enough to decide, but if you need more time then go for it! I would rather to choose one school and save my deposit.

I'm wait listed at NYU. This is my second app cycle and I want to go there so badly, I'd refund the deposit of applicants like yourself for whom NYU is not their first choice. If you've ever been wait listed, I think you would appreciate my sentiment. With all due respect, I hope you are able to pick a school as soon as possible so the rest of us aspiring dentists get a chance to realize our dreams.

Last edited:
So wait, you didn't research the schools before you applied? The decision shouldn't take months, you've done your extensive research- online, asking graduate, current dental students and visited the school. I really hope you can make decisions quicker in dental school and well, especially where you will want to practice (start thinking about that now :laugh:)!

Actually, no I didn't. I just looked at places I felt were cool.