Anyone else experiencing: Crazy Oral Surgeon and Dentist Parties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ataha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so my second day shadowing this orthodontist, I'm hanging out with him in the break room when the oral surgeon comes in and starts talking to him.

He told him how back in 2004 he was invited to a party that was pretty upscale and was supposed to include all these respected professionals, mainly dentists but some doctors as well. He shows up and he says the party was crazy, the host was drunk talking to a bunch of people, drugs everywhere, the host's wife was on the couch making out with some chick.

He was freaking out because he felt out of place so he goes outside to the pool deck and everyone is wasted and naked in the pool they invite him in he says no thanks and ditches the party and decides to just hit up his friend's get together thing, it wasn't supposed to be a party but when he got there he said it was like 5-6 grown men and like 10 high school age chicks and his friend grabbed one of the girls and was like this one is yours I was just blown away at first I looked around like man they must be punking me but they kept talking about it and the orthodontist was just as surprised as I was.

I can't believe it, are any of you dentists also living like rock stars?

I'm not even kidding by the way, not trolling I literally was in shock listening to this story being told lol

Members don't see this ad.

Just like in any field. When people make money, some act like idiots and others don't. I know it's like filming Hangover 3 when my collegues get together.

While I was at Pacific, the administration often said "we work hard and we play hard." That's the administration. Not to say they would look fondly on what you described, but like the other poster said, there are some dentists and other professionals out there who live like this because they have the money and the means to do it. I've seen it too in other professionals. I have a lot of fun in my off time as a single professional living in a city of other single professionals. Some of the dentists I know do throw some wild parties but not full of nude lesbianism or statuatory rape.

I'd take some of what was said with a grain of salt. The girls were probably not actually high school age but maybe they were young still quite young. Regardless, it's what you choose to do that defines you, and you can choose not to be a part of these activities if you want, or you could also be a part of them...that's up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean he made it clear they were at least 18 but they all looked extremely young apparently, that's crazy, I always thought to myself my life would slow down (even though its super slow now lol) but it's good to know that it doesn't matter how old you get you can live the life you want to. Not that I'm looking forward to lesbian parties with skinny dipping but it's nice to have it in my backpocket if I ever need it lol
I'm surprised at how well you guys have taken this. I've always thought that the health professionals are the saints and boring bunch of tightwads, I always pictured myself becoming a tightwad after going through all that schooling lol
Thanks for the replies!

I imagine if you're not doing it now getting a dental degree wont change much.

I mean he made it clear they were at least 18 but they all looked extremely young apparently, that's crazy, I always thought to myself my life would slow down (even though its super slow now lol) but it's good to know that it doesn't matter how old you get you can live the life you want to. Not that I'm looking forward to lesbian parties with skinny dipping but it's nice to have it in my backpocket if I ever need it lol
I'm surprised at how well you guys have taken this. I've always thought that the health professionals are the saints and boring bunch of tightwads, I always pictured myself becoming a tightwad after going through all that schooling lol
Thanks for the replies!

Lol, just because you have a degree does not mean that you change your social interests. People who party (and have the brains to be a doctor) will continue to party even after they finish school. I know plenty of people that fit that bill haha

So last Saturday, a patient comes in. He chews tobacco. The dentist began to encourage him to quit, and he was like, "You want to know how I got started?"

He got started when he went out with the dental fraternity students from the school I want to go to. This was 7-8 years ago and all the dental students pulled out tobacco...and he got hooked.

I don't know what to say.

The guys at my dental school never stopped dipping and smoking either. My life is just about strippers and houseboats.

There always tend to be some GOOD parties at various dental conventions. You just need to find either the right specialty society or the right manufacturers rep to get the invite from ;)

Some of the parties may be wild from a "college wild" perspective, while others may be "wild" in more of a "I can't believe i'm in a penthouse suite at a party where there's a bar full of open $50+ bottles of wine and nobody is letting my glass get less than 1/2 full" kind of wild. Each has their place :D

People like to have fun!

It's not really a one size fits all. Not all health professionals are saints, and not all carnies are psychopaths.

It's really just variable. That's what makes it so fun. Everyone thinks you automatically fit in a cliche or niche in life. Eh, somewhat. It's better that way for our brains. We like heuristics. That's not to say anomalies don't exist.

Have fun - whatever that fun may be.