You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anyone else feel miserable in pharmacy school?
Started by mustang sally
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Lol @ 10am
What's so funny about 10AM?
What's so funny about 10AM?
It kinda looked like part of your complaint was having to get to work at 10 am, when others have to start work between 6 am and 8 am depending on where they work. So not having to be at work until few hours after people have already started gives you some extra time to relax each day.
Having a 10-7 schedule is much better than having an 8-5 schedule to most people, since you get to sleep few extra hours in the morning, which helps a lot for people who aren't a "morning person."
Many people are jealous that you don't have to show up until 10.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bob. You are so patient. 10-7 would be an awesome schedule for people people without kids. I would love that. 9-6 would be ok too.
What's so funny about 10AM?
This question actually made me lol.
It kinda looked like part of your complaint was having to get to work at 10 am, when others have to start work between 6 am and 8 am depending on where they work. So not having to be at work until few hours after people have already started gives you some extra time to relax each day.
Having a 10-7 schedule is much better than having an 8-5 schedule to most people, since you get to sleep few extra hours in the morning, which helps a lot for people who aren't a "morning person."
Many people are jealous that you don't have to show up until 10.
It's retail, they're open from 8AM-9PM, and the site is in Manhattan. Traffic doesn't subside until like 9AM. When you're commuting from Long Island, leaving the house at 7AM often means a 90 minute commute, versus leaving the house at 9AM means a 25 minute commute. That and near the site, they have street cleaning until 930AM so you can't park a car until 930AM anyway. My preceptor and the other pharmacists who work there live in Manhattan or in the area, so they either just hop on the subway for 5 minutes or walk to the pharmacy from their house.
Bob. You are so patient.
10-7 would be an awesome schedule for people people without kids. I would love that. 9-6 would be ok too.
Yeah, but on the days that I work it is really more like 10AM-10PM. Sometimes, if we have a lot of new admissions to the nursing home (where I work), we don't leave until 1230AM, 1AM.
It's retail, they're open from 8AM-9PM, and the site is in Manhattan. Traffic doesn't subside until like 9AM. When you're commuting from Long Island, leaving the house at 7AM often means a 90 minute commute, versus leaving the house at 9AM means a 25 minute commute. That and near the site, they have street cleaning until 930AM so you can't park a car until 930AM anyway. My preceptor and the other pharmacists who work there live in Manhattan or in the area, so they either just hop on the subway for 5 minutes or walk to the pharmacy from their house.
Yeah, but on the days that I work it is really more like 10AM-10PM. Sometimes, if we have a lot of new admissions to the nursing home (where I work), we don't leave until 1230AM, 1AM.
So you get home like 1-2 am? Then sleep for maybe 6-7 hours? I'm just wondering because I don't know what it's like to work near NYC and commute.
So you get home like 1-2 am? Then sleep for maybe 6-7 hours? I'm just wondering because I don't know what it's like to work near NYC and commute.
Nope, I have projects and whatnot, so I usually don't sleep until 2-3AM. Takes me about an hour to get ready in the morning, so wake up around 8AM.
🙁
Someone told me our surgery rotations is 4 am to 4 pm 6 days a week. This made me cringe, not because its a 12 hr day because I can't fanthom what time I'll have to be going to bed - right now I go around 2:30am. 8, 9 ? Thats like a midday for me.
I remember we had a seminar at school about how circcadian rythms andd your natural clock in the body are determined by genetics and there was a study about how nurses who worked against their rhythms even getting plenty of sleep got ill.
The world is run by morning people and they dominate and opress us. 🙂🙁
It kinda looked like part of your complaint was having to get to work at 10 am, when others have to start work between 6 am and 8 am depending on where they work. So not having to be at work until few hours after people have already started gives you some extra time to relax each day.
Having a 10-7 schedule is much better than having an 8-5 schedule to most people, since you get to sleep few extra hours in the morning, which helps a lot for people who aren't a "morning person."
Many people are jealous that you don't have to show up until 10.
Someone told me our surgery rotations is 4 am to 4 pm 6 days a week. This made me cringe, not because its a 12 hr day because I can't fanthom what time I'll have to be going to bed - right now I go around 2:30am. 8, 9 ? Thats like a midday for me.
I remember we had a seminar at school about how circcadian rythms andd your natural clock in the body are determined by genetics and there was a study about how nurses who worked against their rhythms even getting plenty of sleep got ill.
The world is run by morning people and they dominate and opress us. 🙂🙁
🙁
Someone told me our surgery rotations is 4 am to 4 pm 6 days a week. This made me cringe, not because its a 12 hr day because I can't fanthom what time I'll have to be going to bed - right now I go around 2:30am. 8, 9 ? Thats like a midday for me.
I remember we had a seminar at school about how circcadian rythms andd your natural clock in the body are determined by genetics and there was a study about how nurses who worked against their rhythms even getting plenty of sleep got ill.
The world is run by morning people and they dominate and opress us. 🙂🙁
Yeah, I'm a night person too. I have a lot of trouble waking up before 8-9AM. I don't know how I did it from Junior High to High School, but once I got to college, my earliest classes were at 11AM. For rounds at the hospital, I don't see why they have to be in the morning. They could be done in the afternoons and evenings and it would be the same thing.
I start my first year this fall and hearing all this is worrying me. Do you guys have any advice on how to make pharmacy school an easier experience or things you wish you would have known when you first started?
Don't sweat it. You no longer need the A's of undergrad to get in, just C's to get by. Don't be involved in everything if you can't handle it. Get to know your classmates and upperclassmen, it WILL help you big time. Lastly, just find something that helps you relax outside of school.I start my first year this fall and hearing all this is worrying me. Do you guys have any advice on how to make pharmacy school an easier experience or things you wish you would have known when you first started?
Don't fall behind in your classes. Ever. Or you will be sorry, especially if you're working or doing EC's. Make friends. Visit the profs early in the semester if you're having trouble. These are all things you should have learned in undergrad, anyway.
I start my first year this fall and hearing all this is worrying me. Do you guys have any advice on how to make pharmacy school an easier experience or things you wish you would have known when you first started?
It wasn't all bad for me, just having a bad semester currently so don't worry too much 🙂. My best advice is that the job market is competitive now, so try to decide what you want to do when you graduate and plan accordingly.
community pharmacy --> work, work and more work. Pass classes.
residency --> high grades, extracurriculars, research, and work
industry/fellowship --> try to get good grades, research, research and more research, try to score a cool summer internship somewhere
I start my first year this fall and hearing all this is worrying me. Do you guys have any advice on how to make pharmacy school an easier experience or things you wish you would have known when you first started?
I wish I had taken more upper level classes in undergrad like molecular bio, molecular genetics, neuroscience, immunology, A&P, etc. I also wish I could have graduated first instead of trying to start early.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't fall behind in your classes. Ever. Or you will be sorry, especially if you're working or doing EC's. Make friends. Visit the profs early in the semester if you're having trouble. These are all things you should have learned in undergrad, anyway.
I think this may be one of my problems...I didn't learn this in undergrad. I slept-walked through undergrad and got A's, even while working full time. I never had to see a prof about anything so I didn't.
If I fell behind in a class I just spent a weekend reading and caught up. In Pharm school so far more than half our classes don't even have books!
So true. If you would have told me how early I would be working, I would have laughed in your face. Joke's on me.The world is run by morning people and they dominate and opress us. 🙂🙁
It wasn't all bad for me, just having a bad semester currently so don't worry too much 🙂. My best advice is that the job market is competitive now, so try to decide what you want to do when you graduate and plan accordingly.
community pharmacy --> work, work and more work. Pass classes.
residency --> high grades, extracurriculars, research, and work
industry/fellowship --> try to get good grades, research, research and more research, try to score a cool summer internship somewhere
Don't really need high grades. More like good connections.
Our school recently got a new site for students on Internal Medicine and Institutional rotations. It is already a site for LIU, and a Massachussetts COP. (Didn't see a student from Mass there, but there was an LIU student on his elective for Infectious Disease there.) The Director of Pharmacy told me at the end of my rotation there, that he wants to establish a pharmacy residency program at the hospital partnered with my school. Hopefully by the time I graduate, they get it set up.
Don't really need high grades. More like good connections.
Our school recently got a new site for students on Internal Medicine and Institutional rotations. It is already a site for LIU, and a Massachussetts COP. (Didn't see a student from Mass there, but there was an LIU student on his elective for Infectious Disease there.) The Director of Pharmacy told me at the end of my rotation there, that he wants to establish a pharmacy residency program at the hospital partnered with my school. Hopefully by the time I graduate, they get it set up.
I can see the value in both, but I still wouldn't recommend to any new pharm student thinking of residency to do anything but their best in school. But good luck to you on that residency...I never heard you mention being interested in pursuing one before.
Mannnnnnnnnnn! I read this thread and said "OMG!!!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS ME"... Only difference is Im a P3, so I should be use to this but the administration and Course Coordinators are being so crazy right now! I feel helpless, and for someone as liberated as me, thats the most awful thing in the world. I keep telling myself 6 more weeks but I'm failing everything, not because I'm dumb, but b/c of the way they are doing things this semester... I am so upset, that I can hardly express myself.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K