Anyone else find Kaplan practice tests rediculously hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quarterhorsecol

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up w/ my EK material and I'm scoring pretty well on their stuff so I took a couple Kaplan physics tests (1-3, I'm not sure what format, theyre pdf) tonight just for extra practice. I was pumped thinking I aced them, then I checked the answers and realized I got my ass handed to me on both of them. I knew they were tough questions while I was doing them but damn! Anyone else have this problem? I think I remember somebody saying on here a while back not to sweat them, that they aren't very representative of the real thing?

I'm talking about the individual subject practice tests.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I am currently in the class now and I have to tell you that those subject and topical tests are difficult. However, after taking the first two kaplan full lenght tests I have been scoring really well. Just keep practicing those pesty test and you will do fine.

quarterhorsecol said:
I'm finishing up w/ my EK material and I'm scoring pretty well on their stuff so I took a couple Kaplan physics tests (1-3, I'm not sure what format, theyre pdf) tonight just for extra practice. I was pumped thinking I aced them, then I checked the answers and realized I got my ass handed to me on both of them. I knew they were tough questions while I was doing them but damn! Anyone else have this problem? I think I remember somebody saying on here a while back not to sweat them, that they aren't very representative of the real thing?

i found kaplan practice tests to be much more difficult than the real mcat. i would use kaplans subject practice tests just as that, "subject practice". use them as tools to brush up on concepts you might not be clear on, but do not use them as a gauge to measure what you will get on the real MCAT. this is just my opinion because i never got over a 29 on any of the kaplan practice tests and i ended up doing much better on the real thing. kaplan practice tests are good because they are so much harder than the real thing which makes the mcat not as bad as it would be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took TPR and I was told that was the point...to make the tests harder so when you get to the real thing it seems like a breeze. I assume its the same thing for kaplan. Good luck to you all

just to play the devil's advocate. i too find kaplan tests really hard but just saying that it is possible to score lower on the real thing than you ever got on kaplan tests. so its person based, i happen to be the only idiot out there who it happened to but hey i'm the statistic. as long as you do all that you are supposed to(the probs at end of chapters, the topicals, the full lengths, etc) tho i would say kaplan will be harder than the real thing the majority of the time except if you are me.

don't be discouraged by those kaplan test. I got less than 6 wrong in all aamc ps sections, but when i do kaplan, i get 15-20 of them wrong. It was so stressful doing them, but some are really good practice. Just think of them as a practice material, and put more weight on those AAMC exams.

quarterhorsecol said:

Yes they are hard, but they are good for you if you have the extra time! What doesn't kill you, will only make you stronger! I am going to start on these discretes and topicals once I am done reviewing the material. I also don't have the answers to everything yet. :luck:

ANNIE8 said:
How much better than a 29 on the real thing? If you don't mind me asking

i got a 34....11-11-12....i was praying for a 30 so i couldnt believe it when i saw my score....trust me, if you do everything kaplan says, take the practice tests seriously, and stay calm during the test you will do fine!