Anyone else get this from Albert Einstein????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treg

Surgeon in training
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this email today: (Interviewing in a couple of weeks)

Dear Treg:

We are delighted that you are scheduled to visit us for a personal interview.

In addition to this interview, we would like to have you meet with a second faculty member who would like to speak with you about your potential life as an Einstein student and future physician.

This second session is only to answer any questions you may have; it is not for evaluative purposes.

Dr. XXX has offered to meet you at n:00 in his office. Directions to his office will be supplied the day of your interview.

It is not mandatory for you to keep this appointment, but we think you might find it helpful and informative.

Please confirm back to us immediately that you have received this email and whether or not you would like to take advantage of this opportunity.

Thank you.

Office of Admissions
Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

It may be an alum at your undergrad who just likes to talk to prospectives. A similar thing happened to me at Penn State.

Hmmm....

My alma mater is Alabama. I am not sure if that would be the reason.

A lot of people have looked at this thread, but not replied, so I think that it is not common to get this email from them....

Could it be because I am a PhD student with extensive research experience? Or could it be because I am an hispanic female? (No flames please)

Best case scenario-perhaps they are pretty interested, maybe considering a scholarship (I wish). Worse case scenario-they want an unofficial second opinion...

This is weirding me out. Any other comments?

Thanks!

Treg:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if "hispanic-other" counts.

Treg

Yeah, I think both of those could be legitimate reasons. I don't think it's uncommon for under-represented minorities (though I really HATE to label people like that) to be courted by medical schools. When there is a candidate as strong as you seem to be, and they see you are a hispanic-female, the medical school is going to want to try to impress you so you may give them a closer look. I think you sound great, and I think that an extra interview can only be a good thing.

Also, I think there are so many views because it's around today that Einstein is going to start notifying the first group (aside from the handful in mid-dec.) about acceptances.

I interviewed at AE back in November and I got the same email back then (I'm also a "Hispanic-other). I thought they sent that out to everyone and not just minorities, but either way it's not a big deal at all.

The second interviewer was not an alum from my undergrad, but she was a minority...i don't know if that's a coincidence or if this is only sent to minorities.

Like the email says, it's not used for evaluation purposes. That was actually the first thing the woman told me when I went up to meet her. She assured me that she was not going to report to anyone about what we were going to talk about.

I asked her some questions that I didn't ask during my formal interview, but she really didn't know anything solid about the school (stats, student atmosphere, etc.....she was also a PhD and not an MD). So basically I was up there for about 10 minutes or so, just asking her basic questions that anyone that works there could answer, e.g. whats the area really like, what do most do for fun there, etc. So go if you want to, but definitely don't feel obligated to go.

Hope this helps a little :)

Hmm I am thinking it might be a minority thing...
I, too got a similar email for my interview coming up. I am a black female. And I was also unsure if everyone got it..or if i was 'special'.

"Hispanic-other" here. I just got back from my interview and had nothing of the sort happen.

My guess: do you have some unusual professional or research interest that you noted on your application? One of my interviews ended up being with somebody in my field; didn't feel like an accident.

It sounds like it can only be good news.
;)