Anyone else getting all C's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our school only lets us remediate OMM over summer

If you fail any other classes, you have to retake the term again over again next year.
Dang, I haven’t failed anything, but I’m grateful my school doesn’t do that. About half our class ends up remediating for something during the first two years. Makes me wonder if our classes are harder. If you fail a course you take a 100q comprehensive exam after a few weeks of summer lectures and that’s it. Although I heard if you fail that you’re out, or maybe you can petition to repeat the year I don’t know. Side note; I’m starting to see friends drop out or get booted for different things and it’s scary!

Members don't see this ad.

Dang, I haven’t failed anything, but I’m grateful my school doesn’t do that. About half our class ends up remediating for something during the first two years. Makes me wonder if our classes are harder. If you fail a course you take a 100q comprehensive exam after a few weeks of summer lectures and that’s it. Although I heard if you fail that you’re out, or maybe you can petition to repeat the year I don’t know. Side note; I’m starting to see friends drop out or get booted for different things and it’s scary!

My class hasn't lost a ton so far. But they pull you in to speak with student affairs if your test grade is close to 70. So a ton of people are brought in frequently to speak with administration. They offer a LOA if you did really bad on a specific test.

(knock on wood) I'm still surprised I haven't been brought to student affairs yet.

Reactions: 2 users
This is very scary to read all this. Thankfully I am placed in the top 5% but one slip up and I have retest and if I dont do well on that, I have to remediate in the summer.

Just all very scary.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very scary to read all this. Thankfully I am placed in the top 5% but one slip up and I have retest and if I dont do well on that, I have to remediate in the summer.

Just all very scary.

Yup I laugh every time I see the monthly thread about "What motivates you to study".

Its the same consensus every time at every school --> Pure fear.

Reactions: 11 users
It's interesting but it's only 14% that separates C+ from A in our school and that is often just an extra half day to finish that last pass over material. Often you just don't have that extra half a day :( And yet for some it seems like an abyss separating C students from A students. It's amazing how close it is. However, threads like this are created every year and numerous students are living in despair and stress because of it. I think pass/fail grade system has to be implemented in every school imho

Reactions: 1 user
It's interesting but it's only 14% that separates C+ from A in our school and that is often just an extra half day to finish that last pass over material. Often you just don't have that extra half a day :( And yet for some it seems like an abyss separating C students from A students. It's amazing how close it is. However, threads like this are created every year and numerous students are living in despair and stress because of it. I think pass/fail grade system has to be implemented in every school imho

Curious what you mean by "extra half a day" you really think an extra half day of studying before an exam is what separates C+ to an A?

Curious what you mean by "extra half a day" you really think an extra half day of studying before an exam is what separates C+ to an A?
Maybe I worded it poorly, but this is what I meant. We all been in a position when exam is approaching and there's tons of other tasks to do and mandatory lectures to attend, h&p to upload etc. I've been in a position where I've gone through material twice and got 79 due to lack of time - it happens. On next exam I find that extra half a day to do that 3rd pass over material and yield 93 - which is A
For me 3rd pass is often crucial - this is when I hammer down all small details and unfortunately small details are what is often tested on exams (we all know concepts, but rarely they test 1st order concept questions). That's all I was trying to say. 14% is not a lot - just enough for extra pass over material to catch that extra 14%

Maybe I worded it poorly, but this is what I meant. We all been in a position when exam is approaching and there's tons of other tasks to do and mandatory lectures to attend, h&p to upload etc. I've been in a position where I've gone through material twice and got 79 due to lack of time - it happens. On next exam I find that extra half a day to do that 3rd pass over material and yield 93 - which is A
For me 3rd pass is often crucial - this is when I hammer down all small details and unfortunately small details are what is often tested on exams (we all know concepts, but rarely they test 1st order concept questions). That's all I was trying to say. 14% is not a lot - just enough for extra pass over material to catch that extra 14%

Oh no, I apologize, I didnt mean to call you out like that. I was just legit confused. Frankly I agree myself. for me I take longer to cover my passes, I need a good 5 passes to get an A. We all know, thats not possible, so I start to guess what stuff is high yield based on first aid. Thanks for the input.

Yup I laugh every time I see the monthly thread about "What motivates you to study".

Its the same consensus every time at every school --> Pure fear.

Ha! You know it man, we're all in the same gutter, just that some of us are looking at the "stars"

During my recent interview at KCU, one of the professors straight up told us that 1st/2nd year grades had little to no effect on your residency placement since it's impossible to compare students between schools with A/B/C, pass/fail, h/hp/p/lp/f, etc. Not sure how accurate that is, but it sounded reasonable since it is more or less impossible to determine what a "pass" means relative to an A-.
It's accurate. Just do well on Board exams. That's the only accurate measuring stick. I wish my school made that clear.

on the first two exams of this semester, the averages for our class were 74 and 75

about 1/3rd of the class failed each test according to the syllabus criteria for passing.

Obviously, my school will not go ahead and fail 1/3 of the class if this trend continues for the rest of the semester...but how do schools generally go about dealing with this kind of issue? Do they curve at the end of the semester? There are plenty of people who are falling within 1 standard deviation below the average but are still failing as it stands right now.

on the first two exams of this semester, the averages for our class were 74 and 75

about 1/3rd of the class failed each test according to the syllabus criteria for passing.

Obviously, my school will not go ahead and fail 1/3 of the class if this trend continues for the rest of the semester...but how do schools generally go about dealing with this kind of issue? Do they curve at the end of the semester? There are plenty of people who are falling within 1 standard deviation below the average but are still failing as it stands right now.
My school will drop questions from the test in an attempt to get upto around 80%-82%. If that doesn't work (they don't drop questions that over 60% get right, so possible to still have a terrible average if people are all over the place), they have been known to lower the passing threshold a percent or two to try and get 'the right amount' of people. Though that's rare and has never actually happened to my class so far. Its pretty amazing that lowering a passing grade 1% could end up helping like 10 people. But I guess it isn't, look at how many people fail things by 'a couple points' or 1 point.