Anyone else getting podiatry information in the mail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuzyQ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ARGH!!!!! I have gotten almost 15 different things about podiatry saying.......Now since you taken the MCAT you should look into all of the great opportunities podiatry has to offer...blah blah blah blah. Its like they are begging for people to go to there schools. I sure wish that was the case for medical schools!

Members don't see this ad.

I also got the podiatry letters in the mail. Since I have not yet released my scores, I wonder how they got my name and address. I certainly hope that AMCAS is not selling names and backround info from the application surveys. But unfortunately, any time that you fill out a survey, your info goes into data base for anyone that wants to use it for marketing purposes. I used to work for a company that purchased this kind of information. We could find out your income, kind of card you drive, age, how many children you have, value of your home, etc. before we ever put a letter in the mail.

I've been getting some letters as well, the cycle looks something like this:

mailbox -> my hands -> reading -> garbage

I'm pretty sure that AMCAS gives the pod schools the information. Trust me. I'm a podiatrist. The schools are VERY desperate for students. It wasn't quite this bad when I was a student, but it's always been a struggle to attract students.

On behalf of all podiatrists who think it's disgusting to beg for students, I'm sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh...i am in no way bashing podiatry schools. If I wanted to go into podiatry I would be thrilled to be getting these letters....however I dont and to me its just junk mail and I already have enough of junk mail. I keep on getting things from the army and navy and that is getting annoying also.

Suzy, thats nothing! :D

I still get monthly phone calls from a "Sgt. Hudson" from the Marines to ask me "how things are going"

This has been going on for 3 years now ever since I signed up for some "info" but refused to join the core. Boy, talk about desperate.

I remember a question on the MCAT registration asking if you would mind them sharing your info with schools.. that may explain it. (I selected no.)

Originally posted by Lactic Folly
I remember a question on the MCAT registration asking if you would mind them sharing your info with schools.. that may explain it. (I selected no.)

GOD I love that dancy banana! But yeah, the Pod and other junk mail gets sent out every year. The AAMC obviously sells the address list--I guess they don't get enough money from applicants?!:eek:

Yeah, the AAMC doesn't get enough money like Martha Stewart.

I'm thinking the podiatry stuff has to be coming from the MCAT...I took the MCAT and applied to AACOMAS and am getting a bunch of solicitations....

I think Doctortobee is right. It comes from the MCAT information. I heard this on a podiatry forum.

i haven't gotten any info -- thank goodness.

There is a poidatry school in New York that offers a combined Podiatry and MD degree. Might be worth checking out.

Originally posted by Toejam
I think Doctortobee is right. It comes from the MCAT information. I heard this on a podiatry forum.

Umm...yeah, and the AAMC runs the MCAT show, just as they do AMCAS. By the way, they run both shows very poorly, and the price of a ticket is rediculous!