Hey all, due to all rejections this cycle, I've been flitting around and just reading for a little while. I held out hope for a long time waiting on final notifications and it all burned me in the end. I love being on SDN, but then I get myself into trouble by reading way too many cautions (cons) of vet school and current vet student struggles with classes. Mix that with a currently over-anxious mind thinking about the dead weight of debt, demanding work, low salary, fear of failure, fear of the first "big move", etc. and that sends me back pedalling HARD.
I had made a solid back up plan at the same time of applications so I had no worries until SDN members started saying going into a vet tech program (I'll have a BA in biology in May) was a waste of time. Then I started doubting everything I have been doing with my life (all the schooling, shadowing, writing, money, etc.) and where I even belong. This led me to seriously contemplate my life goals, ambitions, dreams, etc. It would be so easy to take the low road and find something else I could enjoy for awhile (with less debt and distress), but I don't know that it will ever make me happy. Now, I am not even sure if vet med would make me happy and so I am in a semi-constant state of changing my mind about whether or not I want to try again and when. 😱
This "Cold Feet" thread has been very therapeutic the last few days, but it is a really scary place to think that I might be willing to give up everything I (we) have been working for after one poor app cycle. 😳 Help me all knowing SDN members!!
Aw, Ziska. This post breaks my heart. I wish that things had gone better for you this cycle.
I enrolled in undergrad (way back in 1997) with the full intention of attending veterinary school. Up until my Sophomore year, that was still the plan- until I had some fantastic experiences in research. When I was a senior, I changed my mind and wound up pursuing a PhD instead. Although I loved research (and always will), I 100%, positively did not love grant writing and academic publication. The life of an academic scientist just wasn't for me. That being said, I tried really, really hard to force myself to 'fit in' (square peg, round hole) to the lifestyle. It just wasn't meant to be. After 8 years, I left my PhD with a Master's Degree. 8 years...that's a long, long time, and a heck of a lot of investment. Definitely, one of the hardest decisions of my life to walk away. After that, I worked in industry, for multiple companies, and then went full circle, back to academia (as a staff scientist- not responsible for procuring funds).
My point in relaying this story is that life is a journey. My guess is that you're probably pretty young- perhaps just out of school? You've got your whole life ahead of you. Plenty of years left to apply to vet school- or to do something else entirely should you so choose (and come back later, if that's your heart's desire)! I'm very, very glad that I didn't apply to vet school right out of undergrad. I never would have uncovered my true love in vet med (lab animal medicine), had I not gone to grad school and worked independently in both industry and academia. All of those years (post undergrad) were some of the best years of my life.
I have no doubt that you have many gifts and talents. The trick is to uncover them and give them back to the world- in whatever environment you find yourself. Don't let one unsuccessful application cycle get you down. That holds for all of life itself. Try to see things from the long perspective (although this can certainly be difficult, especially when traveling through the valleys). As an aside, the valleys of life are often the most instructive.
The debt is scary, no doubt. I've accepted the fact that I will likely never own a home. I am single, and I don't intend on having children. I will be paying on my vet school debt until I am 65-70. My career is the driving force in my life. These are realities with which I am content. Every person has to find the balance with which he or she is comfortable. As for moving, giving up the places and people you love is heart breaking- but one learns so much in relocating to different areas. I've lived in many different states throughout my life (all different parts of the country), and am very grateful for those learning experiences. Every move has broadened my perspective on humanity, and made me a better person. Again, couldn't be more grateful. Of course I miss the people and places I leave behind. They will always be in my heart.
Just some thoughts that came to mind when I was reading your post. Please don't give up after one unsuccessful cycle, if vet med is truly what you want. Just remember, life is yours to be lived. There's a great big world out there just waiting for you to engage it. Just add love and passion.