Anyone else in this situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmk03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all-

After graduating in 2003 with a BA in Journalism, I've now decided to try to go back to pharmacy school! It's been the hardest decision in my life so far...due to a really great job that I have now (marketing/advertising job). It's just not what I want to do forever.

Anyway, with the Journalism degree, there was not much math and science involved with my undergrad. So I'm enrolling this summer to get started on my prerequisites to even be considered for pharm school. I have to take 2 semesters of general chem, 2 semesters of organic, gen bio, anatomy, physics, calculus, micro and probably a few more. I'm getting in the gen chems and bio this summer, and then starting with organic, calc, physics and anatomy in the fall. I'm also hoping to take the PCAT in October and again in January. My question for everyone...is this even possible?? It would be encouraging to know that others have been down a similar road and are getting accepted! Due to the late start, I really don't want to have to take two years to get accepted, so my goal is getting into pharm school 2007. Anyone else in this same boat??

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely possible... I was a creative writing major in undergrad, worked in publishing for several years, and then started taking prereqs for Pharm School. I was working full time while taking classes so it took me several years, but I'll be starting at UNC in the fall... One thing that is frustrating is that it seems almost every school has slightly different prereqs so it's hard to get them all covered. It just depends what schools you are interested in I suppose. As for 2007, it may be possible, but it'll be difficult since almost all the classes are sequences. Also, I'd highly recommend getting some actual Pharmacy experience before applying. I think that makes a huge difference, especially for someone like us changing directions. In some states you can be a Pharm Tech without a license, but not all. Anyway, good luck it can be done! :luck:

You can do it. I graduated w/a BS degree in computer science in 2001. I then worked in industry for 3 years before deciding to pursue a PharmD in 2004. I was able to complete my pre reqs in a year. The key is to build a strong foundation early in your pursuit. Excel your first semester -- gun for all A's -- and make sure to branch out in other areas: extracurriculars, pharmacy experience, etc. The toughest decision you'll have to make is concerning your current employment. I made the choice to leave and become a full time student. If you do so, again -- make certain to excel academically. That's key.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do it! Just patiently take your classes and do well.
I was in industry for 8 years, now I am going back. Fortunatly I was a pre med BS Chemistry major, so I only had to take 3 classes.
Then you can write about pharmacy
Good luck! ;)

I, too, was in the same situation. I was a computer science major, so I had physics, general chem I, biology I, and Calculus done, but I still had about 40 credits to complete. I decided that I was going to do it and I did it! I worked full time the whole time. It was hard, I'm not going to lie to you. I worked all day and then drove 45 minutes to school, where I would have either a 3 hour class or a 3 hour lab, and then I would drive home 45 minutes. But now, looking back, it was worth it. You can do it!!!

I also got a BS in 2003 and had worked for 2 years in software company. Exactly one year ago, I decided to go to pharmacy school, and now I have been accepted to two pharmacy schools. Thus, it is doable and I also didn't have any chemistry and biology classes. I have taken 20 units at a time starting from Summer 05, so it took me one year to get requirements done. The problem was that I had only three semesters to finish for chemistry because most of community colleges don't offer O-Chem 2 in summer. However, there are four chemistry classes to take and you cannot take any of them at the same time. Luckliy, I found a community college where they offer one year of G-chem in summer so I took one year of G-chem in Summer 05, took O-chem 1 in Fall 2005, and I am currently taking O-chem 2. Of course, four year university offers every classes in summer, but it wasn't my option in that I couldn't afford the tuition.

Again, it is doable, but to tell you the truth, it is not easy. Since you have so many classes to take and you are aiming for Fall 2007, I don't think you can work for full time, so you may run into financial problems as well. Plus, you are not as competitive as people who have completed requirements, so along with getting good grades, you need to do something else. For me, I got a job at Walgreens, took the PTCB test and became a pharmacy technician. I wish I could do more but taking 20 units was very difficult for me so I couldn't spare any other time for anything else.

A last word of advise would be....
1. Get an excellent recommendation letters
2. Be ready to apply even before PharmCAS opens
3. Apply ASAP.

Yes! I am starting my pre-reqs because, like you, I have a degree that required no math/science. I am returning to school full time but my pre-reqs need pre-reqs! My advisor says it will take AT LEAST 2 years for me to even apply.

Absolutely. I have undergrad and grad degrees in the arts, and I worked in arts non-profits for three years before returning to school fulltime to complete all the math and science pre-reqs. I accomplished this in a year and a half with careful planning...I began classes Jan '05, studied for the PCAT and finished up gen chem over the summer, took the PCAT in October, and finished up remaining pre-reqs this spring.

Early on I created an Excel spreadsheet of all the pre-reqs required by the schools I was interested in......this proved to be extremely helpful in planning and managing my schedule. I also created a second spreadsheet listing each school and all of their individual requirements (deadlines, extracurricular activities, work experience, LORs, volunteer activities, etc). I lived by this document and made a conscious effort to ensure I fulfilled each requirement for EVERY school. I also made a point of completing the PharmCAS as well as all school applications over the summer....one less thing to worry about during the school year!

You want to take organic, calc, physics and anatomy all at the same time? Oye, that's going to be painful.

pharmk - as others have pointed out, your goal is doable if you really want this. If you find this takes you a year longer...will you still want it? Answering that question will help you cement your decision in your mind. Most folks, particularly those who are changing career paths, will do what it takes for as long as it takes, if its at all possible to reach their goal.

You are bringing a wonderful educational background & work experience to pharmacy. When you do accomplish your goal of becoming a pharmacist, you'll have lots to offer the profession! I wish you all the luck & look forward to working with you!

Pharmk03,

I am in a similar situation as well. I graduated in August 2000 with a Bacholor of Science Degree in Mathematics. During the past 6 years, I have been a high-school math teacher. As I began teaching, I quickly learned that something was missing.... unfortunately, it has taken me quite sometime to figure out exactly what. Here is what I do know. I enjoy talking with and working with people (especially children, but adults as well).

In 2003, to address the above need of talking with people (in particular, kids), I went back to school to pursue a Masters Degree in the area of School Counseling. I am nearly at the end of that program (minus a 600-hour internship), and guess what I am now looking into?!.... you guessed it.... pharmacy.

At first glance, I thought that I had just wasted the past 6 years in my current profession, but it truly could be a blessing in disguise. In this time, I have learned more about myself in addition to things that make me happy. My goal is to try to get my school counseling internship done while taking pre-pharmacy classes (and working as a Pharmacy Technician) through the Fall of 2007. So, I will be hoping to apply to pharmacy school during the 2007-2008 application process.

My goal is simple. I want to be in a profession that has a primary purpose of helping people. My only regret would be wishing I could have figured this all our sooner than now... lol. I am not sure if I am more interested in the general population or children, but I would like to specialize long-term either in pediatric or oncological pharmacy.

I am just hoping that my previous background, though different, will be as beneficial to future employers. I hear that many pharmacists are becoming more counseling oriented.... so going after the Masters Degree in School Counseling does give me an advantage there.

Just know, all things happen for a reason, and for some reason, you are where you are now. Think about it carefully, if you have the desire, love, and willingness to pursue pharmacy, do so! If it is something you want, go after it!!! Best of luck to you, and I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavors.

Sincerely,
Shawn (FutureRxGuy)

futurerxguy said:
Pharmk03,

I am in a similar situation as well. I graduated in August 2000 with a Bacholor of Science Degree in Mathematics. During the past 6 years, I have been a high-school math teacher. As I began teaching, I quickly learned that something was missing.... unfortunately, it has taken me quite sometime to figure out exactly what. Here is what I do know. I enjoy talking with and working with people (especially children, but adults as well).

In 2003, to address the above need of talking with people (in particular, kids), I went back to school to pursue a Masters Degree in the area of School Counseling. I am nearly at the end of that program (minus a 600-hour internship), and guess what I am now looking into?!.... you guessed it.... pharmacy.

At first glance, I thought that I had just wasted the past 6 years in my current profession, but it truly could be a blessing in disguise. In this time, I have learned more about myself in addition to things that make me happy. My goal is to try to get my school counseling internship done while taking pre-pharmacy classes (and working as a Pharmacy Technician) through the Fall of 2007. So, I will be hoping to apply to pharmacy school during the 2007-2008 application process.

My goal is simple. I want to be in a profession that has a primary purpose of helping people. My only regret would be wishing I could have figured this all our sooner than now... lol. I am not sure if I am more interested in the general population or children, but I would like to specialize long-term either in pediatric or oncological pharmacy.

I am just hoping that my previous background, though different, will be as beneficial to future employers. I hear that many pharmacists are becoming more counseling oriented.... so going after the Masters Degree in School Counseling does give me an advantage there.

Just know, all things happen for a reason, and for some reason, you are where you are now. Think about it carefully, if you have the desire, love, and willingness to pursue pharmacy, do so! If it is something you want, go after it!!! Best of luck to you, and I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavors.

Sincerely,
Shawn (FutureRxGuy)

Shawn - good luck to you! I found I could not work in a pediatric hospital because emotionally I could not handle the major illness these children and their families face. But I have very deep, profound respect for those pharmacists who do work in these settings.

There are many opportunities in these as well as child/adolescent psychiatrictic settings. Your background could also be an advantage in education & correctional pharmacy settings. So many opportunities..

Again..the best of luck & welcome!

sdn1977 said:
Shawn - good luck to you! I found I could not work in a pediatric hospital because emotionally I could not handle the major illness these children and their families face. But I have very deep, profound respect for those pharmacists who do work in these settings.

There are many opportunities in these as well as child/adolescent psychiatrictic settings. Your background could also be an advantage in education & correctional pharmacy settings. So many opportunities..

Again..the best of luck & welcome!

Sdn1977,

Thank you, I appreciate your support! I know that there will both be very good days and some bad days.... in both oncological and pediatric pharmacy, but helping people in their toughest times will be a very rewarding experience, I think. I would absolutely love working in a childrens hospital somewhere..... I have a TON of respect for those in that area of the medical field. Our children are our future, and I want to do anything I can to help those in need.

Thanks again,
Shawn

I got a BA in Communications (concentrating in TV) in 2001 and spent 3 years working at a TV station, so you're not the only one who did a total 180 career-wise. A pharmacist I work with told me she has a BA in history and sociology!

pharmk03 said:
Hello all-

After graduating in 2003 with a BA in Journalism, I've now decided to try to go back to pharmacy school! It's been the hardest decision in my life so far...due to a really great job that I have now (marketing/advertising job). It's just not what I want to do forever.

Anyway, with the Journalism degree, there was not much math and science involved with my undergrad. So I'm enrolling this summer to get started on my prerequisites to even be considered for pharm school. I have to take 2 semesters of general chem, 2 semesters of organic, gen bio, anatomy, physics, calculus, micro and probably a few more. I'm getting in the gen chems and bio this summer, and then starting with organic, calc, physics and anatomy in the fall. I'm also hoping to take the PCAT in October and again in January. My question for everyone...is this even possible?? It would be encouraging to know that others have been down a similar road and are getting accepted! Due to the late start, I really don't want to have to take two years to get accepted, so my goal is getting into pharm school 2007. Anyone else in this same boat??

Without knowing how well you will do in Chemistry and Biology....Keep in mind that Organic Chemistry is like a foreign language. I have every confidence that you can and will succeed in getting into pharmacy school!! You might want to be careful with how you overlap the harder pre-req's, since the pharmacy schools look at your gpa in those courses. Just be careful about taking on too much at once. You can do it!!