Anyone else love working as a pharmacist for Wal-mart?

Started by Dysic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dysic

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been working as a staff pharmacist for Wal-mart for about 1 month. Before that, I was hired as a grad intern and worked for about 1 month before transitioning to a pharmacist position. My store recently opened June 2012 and so the script count is still relatively low (~80-100/day)...but we are increasing our business at a rapid rate.

Here's a concise pro's/con's list of the job from my perspective.

Pro's
* competitive pay ($65/hour for a new hire pharmacist...although I am in a relatively hard to hire area)
* Connexus is the best pharmacy system I've used (very intuitive)
* Great tech/clerk help (we have 2 full time techs, 1 part time tech, 1 part time clerk)...and we will increase staff as needed
* $4 generics for 1 month, $10 generics for 3 months (it's nice to work for a company with this kind of buying power (no insurance? no problem!) -- although that will change soon with the new healthcare reform
* 1 hour lunches
* pharmacist-only bathroom in the pharmacy
* 12 hour shifts (but pharmacists get overtime pay after working 8 hours)
* forfeit 2nd lunch (but pharmacists can eat/drink in the pharmacy)

Con's
* wal-mart is known for attracting a lot of "trashy" customers (I personally have no problem with them)
* wal-mart underpays front end employees (also techs/clerks) = unsatisfied coworkers
* pharmacist get sent to HQ for training in Arkansas if you make too many mistakes

I love my job and I look forward to going into work every morning. Of course, there are busy/stressful moments...but for the most part it is pretty easy going and I have a great time socializing with my coworkers. I'm not naive enough to believe the job will be like this forever. Eventually script count will increase, but I think we will still be staffed well with the ancillary support (relative to other major retailers).

If you work for wal-mart, I would love to hear your input/experience! If you work for another retailer....also let us know your experiences thus far!
 
I've been working as a staff pharmacist for Wal-mart for about 1 month. Before that, I was hired as a grad intern and worked for about 1 month before transitioning to a pharmacist position. My store recently opened June 2012 and so the script count is still relatively low (~80-100/day)...but we are increasing our business at a rapid rate.

Here's a concise pro's/con's list of the job from my perspective.

Pro's
* competitive pay ($65/hour for a new hire pharmacist...although I am in a relatively hard to hire area)
* Connexus is the best pharmacy system I've used (very intuitive)
* Great tech/clerk help (we have 2 full time techs, 1 part time tech, 1 part time clerk)...and we will increase staff as needed
* $4 generics for 1 month, $10 generics for 3 months (it's nice to work for a company with this kind of buying power (no insurance? no problem!) -- although that will change soon with the new healthcare reform
* 1 hour lunches
* pharmacist-only bathroom in the pharmacy
* 12 hour shifts (but pharmacists get overtime pay after working 8 hours)
* forfeit 2nd lunch (but pharmacists can eat/drink in the pharmacy)

Con's
* wal-mart is known for attracting a lot of "trashy" customers (I personally have no problem with them)
* wal-mart underpays front end employees (also techs/clerks) = unsatisfied coworkers
* pharmacist get sent to HQ for training in Arkansas if you make too many mistakes

I love my job and I look forward to going into work every morning. Of course, there are busy/stressful moments...but for the most part it is pretty easy going and I have a great time socializing with my coworkers. I'm not naive enough to believe the job will be like this forever. Eventually script count will increase, but I think we will still be staffed well with the ancillary support (relative to other major retailers).

If you work for wal-mart, I would love to hear your input/experience! If you work for another retailer....also let us know your experiences thus far!

I have worked as a tech for the past 2 years at wm and it has been awesome. I currently am a 1PD and my market manager was very helpful in transitioning me to intern status since I still work once a week while in school.
Although you are a slow store when your script count increases they will give you more tech help and if you get high enough you will get pharmacists help. A few stores in my area have 3 to 3.5 phamacists.

You forgot to mention the bonus structure for pharmacy managers and how it's awesome when you make your metrics.

I worked for cvs for 1 year and that company is horrible to both techs and pharmacists.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been working as a staff pharmacist for Wal-mart for about 1 month. Before that, I was hired as a grad intern and worked for about 1 month before transitioning to a pharmacist position. My store recently opened June 2012 and so the script count is still relatively low (~80-100/day)...but we are increasing our business at a rapid rate.

Here's a concise pro's/con's list of the job from my perspective.

Pro's
* competitive pay ($65/hour for a new hire pharmacist...although I am in a relatively hard to hire area)
* Connexus is the best pharmacy system I've used (very intuitive)
* Great tech/clerk help (we have 2 full time techs, 1 part time tech, 1 part time clerk)...and we will increase staff as needed
* $4 generics for 1 month, $10 generics for 3 months (it's nice to work for a company with this kind of buying power (no insurance? no problem!) -- although that will change soon with the new healthcare reform
* 1 hour lunches
* pharmacist-only bathroom in the pharmacy
* 12 hour shifts (but pharmacists get overtime pay after working 8 hours)
* forfeit 2nd lunch (but pharmacists can eat/drink in the pharmacy)

Con's
* wal-mart is known for attracting a lot of "trashy" customers (I personally have no problem with them)
* wal-mart underpays front end employees (also techs/clerks) = unsatisfied coworkers
* pharmacist get sent to HQ for training in Arkansas if you make too many mistakes

I love my job and I look forward to going into work every morning. Of course, there are busy/stressful moments...but for the most part it is pretty easy going and I have a great time socializing with my coworkers. I'm not naive enough to believe the job will be like this forever. Eventually script count will increase, but I think we will still be staffed well with the ancillary support (relative to other major retailers).

If you work for wal-mart, I would love to hear your input/experience! If you work for another retailer....also let us know your experiences thus far!

wow that sounds amazing. but do you really need a 1 hr lunch break? sounds like a waste of time, especially if you're not even busting your ass. and it gets taken out of your paycheck, I assume.
 
wow that sounds amazing. but do you really need a 1 hr lunch break? sounds like a waste of time, especially if you're not even busting your ass. and it gets taken out of your paycheck, I assume.

Not sure if this is across the board but as a per diem rph for Wal-Mart i get the hour lunch paid. Also get paid extra for working Sundays.

Another pro is we don't have to do flu shots, at least not yet.
 
what are some employee benefits? like 401k, espp, vacations, etc.??

also i believe theres employee discounts for shopping at walmart at already low price. and they have everything.