Anyone else struggle with work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didanawisgi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll keep this short because I've got a project I need to complete by tomorrow morning and I don't want to be up all night...

Anyway, as I'm sitting here working late yet again, I'm putting in extra hours and extra effort to do a standout job in this position I hate at a job I've always disliked in a career I'm trying to leave. Despite all that, I can't help but try and do an excellent job. Even though I felt like I've been slacking off more this year, I just received an "exceeds expectations" rating in a recent year-end performance evaluations.

I guess it's the personality type of an overachiever, but I hate the fact that I can't just let this go. It makes school more difficult and takes time away from family and sleep...

Anyone else in the same boat? If you've found some way to deal with it other than sleeping 4 hours/night I would love to hear it. Maybe all that talk of not multitasking in the other thread could be applied here as well...

Members don't see this ad.

Even though I felt like I've been slacking off more this year, I just received an "exceeds expectations" rating in a recent year-end performance evaluations.
+ a new, higher-responsibility project.

Sorry, I don't have much advice, just commiseration. I hit a new low a couple weeks ago when I realized I'd genuinely rather study OChem than do my work. The worst part is keeping up the appearances: "Oh, yes, I love my job... here are my career plans in the company for the next 5 years... I'd love to head up XYZ Project..."

My goals for now are to stay out of last place in my group of 5, not get outright fired (vs. laid off), have 2 hours of family time a day, and not let my grades suffer for work. Those grades are far more important to my future than this job at this point.

Honestly, the glimmer of hope that December 19-January 26 (Winter Break) has brought is probably my biggest sanity-saver. I plan to take a few good vacation days and send the kids to daycare to catch up on sleep. :sleep:

Honestly, the glimmer of hope that December 19-January 26 (Winter Break) has brought is probably my biggest sanity-saver. I plan to take a few good vacation days and send the kids to daycare to catch up on sleep. :sleep:

A couple of years ago I was taking History, Intro to Psych and Bio I and working full time. I was looking forward to spring break. That was when we had a house fire and I got burned. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital getting skin grafts over spring break. Some vacation. My instructors were nice. They didn't ding me for missing class and helped me catch up on the assignments that I missed.

Edit - Now that I think of it, I wonder why I didn't include that in my personal statement.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of years ago I was taking History, Intro to Psych and Bio I and working full time. I was looking forward to spring break. That was when we had a house fire and I got burned. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital getting skin grafts over spring break. Some vacation. My instructors were nice. They didn't ding me for missing class and helped me catch up on the assignments that I missed.
Great, now you're turning my R&R into paranoia. Are the candles all out? Will my 80-year-old wiring burn through? Did the toddler turn on the stove?

(Sorry to hear about your house and your skin, though. :( )

Great, now you're turning my R&R into paranoia. Are the candles all out? Will my 80-year-old wiring burn through? Did the toddler turn on the stove?

(Sorry to hear about your house and your skin, though. :( )

It turned out ok. It was just my leg and I don't wear shorts anyway. THe insurance was very nice about the house and we got composite wood floors, granite countertops, and new kitchen appliances out of the whole thing.

Sorry, I don't have much advice, just commiseration. I hit a new low a couple weeks ago when I realized I'd genuinely rather study OChem than do my work. The worst part is keeping up the appearances: "Oh, yes, I love my job... here are my career plans in the company for the next 5 years... I'd love to head up XYZ Project..."

You have described the problem I have run into at this time of year for the last three years or so. :laugh:

I enjoy my job, but I can still definitely relate to this. It's not ultimately what I want to do so it's hard to focus sometimes, the slow nights especially. Definitely have nights I'd rather be studying for the MCAT. I've got a few of my coworkers that are in the same boat. Everyone else spends their downtime playing on facebook and we're all emailing each other journal articles and interesting case studies. Sometimes I wish I could just get on with it already.

I struggled with this.

I do not have enough time or energy to exceed expectations both at my office and at my school. I had to make a decision to just meet the responsibilities of my position at the office and nothing more. There are times that decision makes me uncomfortable but I stand by it. It's the only way I have enough time to study and sleep.