Anyone else struggling with TPR ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2014786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The online materials with TPR class seem to be a killer. I've done well until I started working with the online stuff. Anyone else in the same boat or can comment on this?

Members don't see this ad.

lol, I JUST posted a question about this. I'm taking the PR review course too. I'm OK with the book material from the course but the online questions are ridiculous! I'm getting almost all of them wrong. BUT my princeton review instructor told us that the in-class compendium and the online material questions are significantly harder. I'm not going to beat myself over the head when I get the online questions wrong. I'm just going to read the explanations (which are very helpful and contain new info) so that I know the answer next time.

I thought the exact same thing when I was in my TPR course. I'd say some of the passages are truly out-of-bounds, and are very MCAT unlike. The verbal passages are good practice, but I think the questions they ask are ridiculous sometimes. Also, the verbal strategy offered by TPR is terrible. Some aspects of it, like forming main idea, deciphering what the question is into laymen's terms, and being able to get a feel for what is going to be asked about the passage while reading it (this part comes with tons of practice), are all beneficial. But, I thought skipping passages to find the KILLER passage, and writing out things about the passage was a TOTAL waste of my time. I was getting 5's and 6's on AAMC's/TPR passages with TPR strategy. The day before I took my exam I said eff TPR strategy, go in order, do my own thing, scored a 9. See Examkrackers for the verbal method because TPR was a detriment to my overall result. But, just know that the upper number AAMC (8, 9, 10, 13, etc...) tests are the most MCAT-like for current tests for verbal and the other sections as well.

The biology book was pretty comprehensive (teacher was an arrogant, know-it-all who really knew little), my physics and ochem teachers were baller, and I could've taught GChem better than my teacher (or so I think, but I'm sitting in the back criticizing, who knows how good of a teacher I would truly be, it just felt that way).

The online materials with TPR class seem to be a killer. I've done well until I started working with the online stuff. Anyone else in the same boat or can comment on this?

Do you mean the Student CBT MCAT Study tools? The MCAT practice passages? or te FLs? (I am currently doing them too)

Members don't see this ad :)
The stuff in the online student center. All of it seems kinda "out there". Its really different from the hyperlearning text.

Do you mean the Student CBT MCAT Study tools? The MCAT practice passages? or te FLs? (I am currently doing them too)

I would say that the older online practice passages are a bit over the top (udnerstatement?) but the newer online practice passages are a lot more reasonable. These are the ones that are listed as "MCAT _______ Review".

I would say that the older online practice passages are a bit over the top (udnerstatement?) but the newer online practice passages are a lot more reasonable. These are the ones that are listed as "MCAT _______ Review".

I agree. I think they are pretty reasonable. I did the Endocrine practice passages right after going over the Endocrine TPR section and found them to be really good at integrating concepts, but they definitely were a little tricky.

I thought the exact same thing when I was in my TPR course. I'd say some of the passages are truly out-of-bounds, and are very MCAT unlike. The verbal passages are good practice, but I think the questions they ask are ridiculous sometimes. Also, the verbal strategy offered by TPR is terrible. Some aspects of it, like forming main idea, deciphering what the question is into laymen's terms, and being able to get a feel for what is going to be asked about the passage while reading it (this part comes with tons of practice), are all beneficial. But, I thought skipping passages to find the KILLER passage, and writing out things about the passage was a TOTAL waste of my time. I was getting 5's and 6's on AAMC's/TPR passages with TPR strategy. The day before I took my exam I said eff TPR strategy, go in order, do my own thing, scored a 9. See Examkrackers for the verbal method because TPR was a detriment to my overall result. But, just know that the upper number AAMC (8, 9, 10, 13, etc...) tests are the most MCAT-like for current tests for verbal and the other sections as well.

The biology book was pretty comprehensive (teacher was an arrogant, know-it-all who really knew little), my physics and ochem teachers were baller, and I could've taught GChem better than my teacher (or so I think, but I'm sitting in the back criticizing, who knows how good of a teacher I would truly be, it just felt that way).

Yea some of these passages just leave me wondering if i should even bother with the MCAT? it's good to know that the feeling wasn't exclusive

Man TPR online passages are killing me!

I don't get it I did fine with the hyperlearning text, and EK. Do you guys think maybe its because TPR is online? That it might just take some getting used to?

Man TPR online passages are killing me!

I don't get it I did fine with the hyperlearning text, and EK. Do you guys think maybe its because TPR is online? That it might just take some getting used to?
Haha, just keep chucking at it. I don't know which section you're doing online, but I know the physics was dang-near impossible for me. I would also always do badly on the verbal online, it just takes practice. Just know that it is possible to do well with the materials given to you. (My friend and I in the TPR course both scored mid 30's).

Yeah man im working at it. just very frustrating.

Was the exam reflective of TPR online stuff?

Its good to know that you guys were in my shoes and came out sucessfully =)

Haha, just keep chucking at it. I don't know which section you're doing online, but I know the physics was dang-near impossible for me. I would also always do badly on the verbal online, it just takes practice. Just know that it is possible to do well with the materials given to you. (My friend and I in the TPR course both scored mid 30's).

What exactly do you guys consider "struggling" with the practice passages?
1 wrong on each? 2? 5? All of them?

Just trying to gauge there difficulty.

While I don't find them impossible, I am ALL over the place score-wise on the stand alone passages, usually around 70-100%, but sometimes 20 - 40! :eek:

Usually around 2-3 wrong out of a 7 question passages. There have been some good passages where I get them all right, or just one wrong, but there's been those that I only get one right as well :(

Been studying for a while now

What exactly do you guys consider "struggling" with the practice passages?
1 wrong on each? 2? 5? All of them?

Just trying to gauge there difficulty.

While I don't find them impossible, I am ALL over the place score-wise on the stand alone passages, usually around 70-100%, but sometimes 20 - 40! :eek:

Usually around 2-3 wrong out of a 7 question passages. There have been some good passages where I get them all right, or just one wrong, but there's been those that I only get one right as well :(

Been studying for a while now

I would say don't sweat it. Even when I get 1 or 2 wrong it is usually for ambiguous questions with poor wording and I understood the concepts. Just go over why you are getting them wrong and if it something silly within the question that you missed (which it usually is for me) then just keep trucking along, and if you are missing concepts, do some more content review.

My opinion - Don't stress, I got a 30 on my diagnostic before any true content review and I get 2/3 wrong on the TPR passages pretty often.

The real question is whether they are realistic. Even if they are killer, as long as they are realistic it doesn't matter how hard they are. From what I've read around here, it seems like the MCAT has a bunch of experiments and crazy passages, but the questions are doable if you have your basics down. Is that the case with the PR material people are complaining about in this thread?

Well some of the stuff doesn't really compare to the AAMC FL's I believe. The questions on TRP are extremely detailed and I don't feel like I'm capturing the essence of the exam with them. They're a good brain stimulator IMO, but as far as reality goes, I don't think the exam follows TPR's layout/structure.

For example, if you have access to TPR online student center, check out their PS section. Every question is a calculation. From what I hear about the actual exam, it is a mix of calulation and theory. One isn't emphasized over the other.

The real question is whether they are realistic. Even if they are killer, as long as they are realistic it doesn't matter how hard they are. From what I've read around here, it seems like the MCAT has a bunch of experiments and crazy passages, but the questions are doable if you have your basics down. Is that the case with the PR material people are complaining about in this thread?

I never used the online material besides the practice TPR and AAMC tests. I can't believe you guys are doing all of your workbook problems + online problems on top? Just the workbook alone is pretty good practice.

I definitely think they're way harder. I took 4 online passages today, and they were killer. I usually miss 1 or 0 questions on the Hyperlearning passages, but today I missed an average of 3 per passage online. 5/9 of the problems I missed were knowledge - it seems there is an uncanny amount of detail in these passages plus they're way longer than any of the AAMC passages.

Last edited: