Anyone else think that Physics is Evil?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I am currently in Physics and I despise it. It doesn't make any sense to me, and the department seems to make the course hard just for kicks. For instance, for our lab reports, I spend at least about 3 hours outside of class for a lab report write up on whcih points are takenoff when if 1) the TA does not think the lines of the tables are not straight enough, and 2)you use the ampersand instead of the word and. The exams are ridiculous. Isn't there something wrong when nearly 400 kids can not do the same problems on the exam?? I dunno about you, but Physics just makes me so mad!

Members don't see this ad.

sorry i have no comments on physics but I just had to say...
I can't get over how much I love your screen name!

Yay Passions!

I thought physics was a cruel and sadistic performance as well. Our class was a dreamy discussion on the philosohpical implications of theoretical what ifs ... and then the exams were incredibly hard and very harshly graded. :mad:

I guess I saw it coming so I would do all the problems in the book and then try and do them again. I also had to get a tutor to just get me through morally and mentally, for the second semester. Still, I found physics to be such a mental exhaustion and I got so depressed studying it ... I loved chemistry and especially organic. :love: Our professors were great, too.

On the MCAT I found the physics stuff such a demoralizing section and I would try so hard and put all my energy into the chapters, and still struggle with a sh%^tty score. We also had this nazi physics instructor for the TPR who would make us anwser the questions in front of the class and if you didn't know it he would say: "that's ok, just do it now in front of all of us..." I thought I was going to freak out he was so evil ... it did NOT help me to learn physics. What's up with these freaky physics types, anyway?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JulianCrane
OK, so I am currently in Physics and I despise it. It doesn't make any sense to me, and the department seems to make the course hard just for kicks. For instance, for our lab reports, I spend at least about 3 hours outside of class for a lab report write up on whcih points are takenoff when if 1) the TA does not think the lines of the tables are not straight enough, and 2)you use the ampersand instead of the word and. The exams are ridiculous. Isn't there something wrong when nearly 400 kids can not do the same problems on the exam?? I dunno about you, but Physics just makes me so mad!

I love the title of this thread, we all know how I feal about physics, yuck yiuck and more yuck. I agree how can like the whole class take a test for 4 hours, and the average be only 60, hello:rolleyes: I have a super hard teacher who is brilliant but can't teach, u know how those are:mad: She doesn't curve either..mann.
But, I am still trying hard, no matter what we have to take it so might as well get a nice attuide towards the subject and maybe things will be better

Good luck my physics buddies:clap:

I don't believe physics exist... I'm pretty sure it was developed by some five yr old kid in the year 1600 as a prank

"If a coffee cup sits on a table, not only does the cup exert a force on the table, but the table exerts a force on the cup as well"
- Thats the 2nd most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life...

My favorite physics story:
Every week we have problem sets, usually 3 problems to turn in and typically one is near impossible unless you have your entire week free to do nothing but physics. So I go see the professor about this certain problem one week. He says it can be done, I just need to use a 5x5 matrix set-up. Well, that's a foreign language to me since calc is my limit for math. So I asked if he could explain that quickly and in not-so-mathish terms. He said he'd like to, but he had no idea how to do a 5x5 matrix anymore. Then he sort of looked at the door. I got the problem with the help of a tutor. No matrix was needed.
I'm fairly sure physics classes make no sense.

Physics (experimental) definitely sucks. Lab sucks too, our lab reports range from about 5 - 7 hours per write up.
j-rod

I actually enjoyed all my physics classes in undergrad. I am mostly just in awe of the people who have figured all this stuff out. Physics is much more of an exact science than life sciences will ever be. And therein lies a fact that is nothing if not utterly amazing, i.e. we have figured out phenomena that are occurring on the far reaches of the universe, yet we are barely scratching the surface when it comes to the processes in our own bodies. Life, which seemingly is a minute part of the universe, might just be more complex than all things inanimate.
As far as medicine is concerned, wouldn't it be great if there were, say, three principles that held up in every situation? Or would it?:)

For everyone that hates physics, you should check a book by Richard P. Feynman called,

"Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman"

It is a great book about a Nobel Physicist that is extremely entertaining. It'll definitely help you relax and take your mind off applications and show you the funny side of physics! Here's a link to some reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...-reviews/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/103-7515417-4796621

It's worth it if you can spare some time! And it's probably in your libraries... :)

Read "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, I feel it makes physics, and science in general more palatable.

Wow so much hate for such a cool class:( I think physics is by far the coolest class i've taken undergrad. My prof is brilliant my TA is cool as ****. This class just rocks!

For those of u who think physics is an exact science, you evidently havent studied or read up on quantum mechanics to any great extant, or know of the conflict between q.mech. and general relativity. Physics is only accurate within certain limits or ranges. Outside of these ranges it is simply not valid. This is where theoretical physicists operate. Physics is a practical model that helps humans perform functional activities, and nothing more.
the jrod
:cool:

Physics lab was so utterly worthless. Basically it was all about doing "statistics" (b**tardized) and error calculations. And they didn't grade fairly. You could do everything correctly on the lab reports and still get a 17/20!! (well-acknowledged by the TA) It was ridiculous. Definitely didn't learn anything in that class, and it just served to bring down my GPA...

Physics class was awesome though. :)

I absolutely hate physics. Its like I'm menatally challenged when it comes to it. IF I DON'T fail this class I will be satisfied.
+pissed+

I feel everyone's pain, I am currently taking physics and it is no joke!!:eek: but i am trying to stay postitive and optimistic, pray for me guys!!:)