Anyone Else Thinking About Grad School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kushkeeee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I think this forum is great! It's so hard to find message boards pertaining to graduate school in psychology.

Anyways, I am a 25 year old female and I received my bachelor's in Psych in May 2003. I always knew I would want to go to grad school someday, but I wanted to take some time off before doing so. Right now I am in the process of studying for the GRE's (which I plan to take this fall), and I am also trying to work through all the different options in terms of degrees/programs. It is so overwhelming trying to determine which degree is best for me, and for which program I am best suited. I was all revved up last week about the Psy.D. programs, and then I talked to my former advisor and he seemed to feel the Ph.D. allows one for more options. He also expressed his opinion that the PH.D. is far more stable in terms of its future than the Psy.D. So now after doing weeks of research on all the Psy.D. programs that are out there, I'm thinking maybe it's the Ph.D. I really want.

I would love to pursue a Ph.D. for I may one day want to teach. However, the whole concept of the Ph.D. is so intimidating. How does one know if they are capable of succeeding in such a program? My overall GPA was a 3.56, and I got A's in every Psychology class I ever took. But I had to study a LOT and I worked hard. I'm not one of those people that just "gets it" the first time around, or gets it after studying for 10 minutes. I'm also a very timid person and I lack a lot of confidence. I'm not sure if that kind of person could get through a Ph.D. Program. Still, I guess it's always been my dream to earn a Ph.D. I'd love to teach college and have my own practice in my spare time. I guess that is really what I would like to do with my life. It just seems so, intimidating.

Is anyone else experiencing the same things? Maybe we can get some discussion going on this board. It really is a great forum. It's a shame people don't use it more often!

I look forward to posting again~!

Kushkeeee

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome Kushkeeee! I guess one question you can ask yourself is: do you enjoy research, have you had any experience doing research, and do you feel that you can be good at it?

If you want to go with the PhD route and go into academia, you have to be prepared for a lifelong research career starting from graduate training. You will need to get through your Master's thesis and PhD dissertation, plus publishing a lot on the side........

Kushkeeee said:
Hello Everyone!

I think this forum is great! It's so hard to find message boards pertaining to graduate school in psychology.

Anyways, I am a 25 year old female and I received my bachelor's in Psych in May 2003. I always knew I would want to go to grad school someday, but I wanted to take some time off before doing so. Right now I am in the process of studying for the GRE's (which I plan to take this fall), and I am also trying to work through all the different options in terms of degrees/programs. It is so overwhelming trying to determine which degree is best for me, and for which program I am best suited. I was all revved up last week about the Psy.D. programs, and then I talked to my former advisor and he seemed to feel the Ph.D. allows one for more options. He also expressed his opinion that the PH.D. is far more stable in terms of its future than the Psy.D. So now after doing weeks of research on all the Psy.D. programs that are out there, I'm thinking maybe it's the Ph.D. I really want.

I would love to pursue a Ph.D. for I may one day want to teach. However, the whole concept of the Ph.D. is so intimidating. How does one know if they are capable of succeeding in such a program? My overall GPA was a 3.56, and I got A's in every Psychology class I ever took. But I had to study a LOT and I worked hard. I'm not one of those people that just "gets it" the first time around, or gets it after studying for 10 minutes. I'm also a very timid person and I lack a lot of confidence. I'm not sure if that kind of person could get through a Ph.D. Program. Still, I guess it's always been my dream to earn a Ph.D. I'd love to teach college and have my own practice in my spare time. I guess that is really what I would like to do with my life. It just seems so, intimidating.

Is anyone else experiencing the same things? Maybe we can get some discussion going on this board. It really is a great forum. It's a shame people don't use it more often!

I look forward to posting again~!

Kushkeeee