anyone else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2bknox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had this big epiphany and finally figured out what chemistry is worth studying for..It has becoming somewhat interesting, BUT I'm still not doing well. I'm doing well in every other class but that one, of course no one else is doing well in that class either but the two people he consistently get high scores! It's starting to chew me up because I'm not understanding if I'm not capable of this work, there is alway suppose to be this correlation between time put in and grade but it doesn't show that. Am I not suppose to be confident in my abilities to do well, I feel like it's all a big game for admissions, "watch the premedder jump through the hoops"..smh! I study for this class like no one's business..I put little effort in bio, my real love, and pull out with an A. Should I be concerned, am I not studying enough or the correct way, . I'm really trying to assess strategies, because I don't just want to do well..I want to see results! I want to carry studying strategies to med school and excel! I'm slowly starting to lose hope that it's not cut out for me, if I wasn't taking bio, I think my confidence would be shot! Had to vent...but is anyone feeling this way but me :(

Members don't see this ad.

you will get that. some classes will be easy and some hard. everyone is different. i didn't have a problem with organic chemistry while others think it is a grade killer, but i think calculus was one of the toughest classes i have ever taken. i am not a math guy so physics and chem were a little harder for me.

I highly doubt that you're not capable of learning chemistry. Any time you're studying longer/harder and not getting results, that is a clear signal that you need to study differently. Continuing to do more of the same thing that isn't working won't suddenly make it start working!

What are the two people who are getting high scores doing that you and your other classmates might not be doing? It's worth asking the two of them for some tips if you haven't already. You should also talk to the prof and see what s/he recommends for doing well in the class. If it's gen chem, you may need some algebra review to get your problem solving skills up to speed--if you can do algebra, you can do gen chem problems. If it's organic, a lot of times people have trouble with visualization of molecules or reactions, and a model kit can be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's gen chem, you may need some algebra review to get your problem solving skills up to speed--if you can do algebra, you can do gen chem problems.

100x agree. I am an AP chem teacher, and about 95% of my students who have problems with the class are lacking in algebra skills. It becomes a serious issue when dealing with stoich, thermo, acid-base, equilibrium...scratch that and just write chemistry in general. ;)

You can totally do this! I know you can. I hated chem with a passion when I was in HS and early on in college. Then I got sick of hating something just because I didn't understand it, but trust me, when you finally understand something in chemistry it's the best feeling ever. It's one of the reasons I went from chem hater to chem teacher. :)

Good luck!

I love chem. So much interesting stuff. I had a hard time at first but eventually something just clicked and it's my favorite class. I can't wait for ochem. I think the teacher determines how easy it is to approach. Also, get the idiots guide to chemistry. It doesn't cover everything, but it simplifies quite a bit. I actually have a chem test I have to work on now...is it weird that I'm looking forward to it??? :smuggrin:

@eablackwell, your funny..From chem hater to chem teacher, I wanna be like you when I grow up ;)

@Frkybgstok It's the pits for sure!

@QofQuimica and gunito- I enjoy reading it, because like I said I just had this moment of clarity where I got certain parts but, then the test. The professor keeps telling everyone that 60% is a good thing, "that's the national average" lol.
I've tried to talk to the professor, he constantly tells me I should know this already..or it's in the book. At one point I was going to his office hours every week, then I gave up because I didn't get anything but wasted time. If there is one thing I do is I read. I read twice, sometimes three times. I didn't need him telling me it's in the book or to look it up...9 times out of 10, I've read it, and googled it.
Now I will admit I may be missing some stuff from chem one which I will be reviewing. I'm having a hard time with acids and bases, chemical kinetics, equilibrium..ugh..whyyy...
I really liked coordination chemistry, but I still did poorly on the test :(I really don't know what it is, this is Chem II, so not too much stoichometry..I would almost welcome that at this point! I did approach someone who is doing well in the class, he got a bad grade like me on the last test, even though he did well on the other two test. I know he knows his stuff, he spent 4 hours with me!
As for the people with the good grades, I don't know who or where they are, but they must never be in class. No one that came to class today had a good grade, and rest assured I asked. I am close to alot of the premedders, simply because I'm the premed prez, so it's not hard for me to ask. I almost felt like like my profess was lying about the two 92s, but I'm sure he didn't..smh..I'm really working hard, and even like some of it..
I've done everything, worked on my studying habits, . While I don't feel like I will do poorly in organic chem, I am worried about physics! Okay speaking of gotta study..Thanks for the insight and listening to me! You guys are awesome!
At this point, I guess if the suggestion would be to change how I'm studying, I can do more problems, that's about the only thing I can change..because I have a study group, I do problems, practice test, khan academy, flashcards, office hours! sigh...I'm getting myself depressed again..lol talk to you guys lata!:idea: I really just want it to click :)

I really started out hating chemistry. I never took it in high school which made it soooo hard for me when I took it in college. It's not my favorite subject.. actually I should be studying right now... but I've noticed I'm hating it less with each class.

I think the teacher really makes a difference. I had great teachers before and so I had good grades, but this semester I'm going to get my first less desirable grade. I don't understand my prof well and have to work 10x harder than ever before. Also... chem tutor = my BFF. I've never needed tutoring before, but wow does she really help!!

Keep working at it and it'll get better... if it doesn't, well chem be over at some point! Just don't give up :)

@eablackwell, your funny..From chem hater to chem teacher, I wanna be like you when I grow up ;)

@Frkybgstok It's the pits for sure!

@QofQuimica and gunito- I enjoy reading it, because like I said I just had this moment of clarity where I got certain parts but, then the test. The professor keeps telling everyone that 60% is a good thing, "that's the national average" lol.
I've tried to talk to the professor, he constantly tells me I should know this already..or it's in the book. At one point I was going to his office hours every week, then I gave up because I didn't get anything but wasted time. If there is one thing I do is I read. I read twice, sometimes three times. I didn't need him telling me it's in the book or to look it up...9 times out of 10, I've read it, and googled it.
Now I will admit I may be missing some stuff from chem one which I will be reviewing. I'm having a hard time with acids and bases, chemical kinetics, equilibrium..ugh..whyyy...
I really liked coordination chemistry, but I still did poorly on the test :(I really don't know what it is, this is Chem II, so not too much stoichometry..I would almost welcome that at this point! I did approach someone who is doing well in the class, he got a bad grade like me on the last test, even though he did well on the other two test. I know he knows his stuff, he spent 4 hours with me!
As for the people with the good grades, I don't know who or where they are, but they must never be in class. No one that came to class today had a good grade, and rest assured I asked. I am close to alot of the premedders, simply because I'm the premed prez, so it's not hard for me to ask. I almost felt like like my profess was lying about the two 92s, but I'm sure he didn't..smh..I'm really working hard, and even like some of it..
I've done everything, worked on my studying habits, . While I don't feel like I will do poorly in organic chem, I am worried about physics! Okay speaking of gotta study..Thanks for the insight and listening to me! You guys are awesome!
At this point, I guess if the suggestion would be to change how I'm studying, I can do more problems, that's about the only thing I can change..because I have a study group, I do problems, practice test, khan academy, flashcards, office hours! sigh...I'm getting myself depressed again..lol talk to you guys lata!:idea: I really just want it to click :)

While I don't feel like I will do poorly in organic chem, I am worried about physics!

Physics I is easy, especially if you have a good teacher. It's just plug an chug. Although the equations are straightforward, word problems make things a little more difficult.

i remember bombing my first gen chem test in college. i thought no sweat, sometimes i have to get a feel for the class, for the type of test, so i'm sure it'll be better next time. kinda got shot out of the saddle on the second one too, though. so i packed up my pride and went to the profs office hours and sat down and went over the test with him. he made me sort of go through how i was solving stuff, and said no don't skip steps, write everything down, every step, every unit you cancel, etc. since i'd already given up my pride i was on board, followed his advice vs the way i used to solve problems (easy to think well i should be able to solve it this way so i WILL), and did every cold test i had access to. when he saw me after test3 he told me my grade and i actually looked at him and told him that wasn't funny. i did really well from then on. the students who do well can do a similar thing for you but if you haven't i recommend going and having a meeting with the prof to go over things you've done badly on, because he has years of seeing flaws in chemistry students' problem solving. and cold tests if they are available. you can totally work into a good understanding of all this, so don't give up!!

Thanks everyone for your input! So very sad to report, I got a D in the class.
@fizzgig I wish that was something I could have done, I went to him A LOT, more than the average bear. I came early to class, and stayed after class. Along with that I went to office hours, he frequently responded with you should know that from Gen Chem, and he didn't just say that to me but also my study partner. Just to give you an idea, no one passed his final, the highest was 137/200. HE did not prepare us for the final in the least, he said to study the three test we had, and go through problems in the book, then he just picked something random. it was a joke on us, apparently.
Like you I thought the same, I A. need to get used to his test, and B. for the first test I was so sick, so I attributed my poor, poor, poor score to that.
I knew what I was up against though, a poor former gpa, so I still went to the professor from the first test and past the second test. The professor sucked straight up, and I not one to make excuses, and I can not reiterate that enough. I should have ran from him! He told me numerous times, different occasions, whether in class, bring in my test, finding a problem online--I should have learned it in chem 1. At first I was like dang maybe I should have, but then it started to be stuff that I could only have learned in his class, because it was just too advance.
I'm really really worried, because I already have a bad gpa, so it just made it worse. I had 16 credits, I got 2As, 2B+s and 1 D. I don't know how adcoms will look at that. I was really happy with myself, but I don't know what to think now, if I still have chance. This was suppose to be my new beginning I am sure there will be adcoms saying wait you started over and you still fed up..really..
Let it be known, that another student he did the same thing too, tell us we should know stuff. There were fifteen students, I went to every class except two, one I was just sick another a family emergency. The girl did the same thing. People who did fairly well we're ridiculous smart I'm sure, one girl was taking medical physics or some crap..IDK along with chem 2, calc, bio 2...and she even did poorly on his test, she happen to have a high enough low grade though. smh..I don't know if I should pack it up or call this another blip on the radar screen. I don't have too many other times to mess up..actually I'm all out:scared: Starting to think I should hang up the towel

Did you take the ACS chem II final as well? I haven't checked my grade cause I've been so stressed.

well that sucks :( ... look a D is unfortunate we all know it, and obviously isn't going to help your GPA, BUT, no i don't necessarily think it means it's time to hang it up. lots of people overcome less than lovely GPAs, and lots have at least one unsexy mark on their transcripts. the main thing that would worry me is not getting the concepts. maybe your teacher just sucked, maybe he was right and you missed a lot of concepts in chem1 that you should have had (even if your grade was ok, that doesn't mean you got all the concepts, unfortunately). whatever, but at some point you will need to call this info back. for the mcat if nothing else, maybe for other classes. if you had your aha moment too late to fix THIS class, maybe you should find some review material so that you can make darn sure this class doesn't screw you over for OTHER classes. so anyway, sorry to hear you had a rough time, and keep your eye out/be proactive in cases where the material you missed/didnt fully understand here might come back to bite you, but other than that look forward and just keep going FORWARD. keep working on the GPA. and check school sites because some might require you to retake a prereq with a D grade? not sure. also remember DO allows for grade replacement which could help get rid of some of your lower grades. try to enjoy break anyway and come back ready to work, it's all any of us can do :)

@gunito no at first he said he was going to give the ACS and I almost wish he did, obviously there was no difference..smh but he made his own..his favorite pupil kept complain saying how horrible it was to take the ACS test so at the very last minute after some people bought the study guide book he cancelled and said would create his own.
@ fizzgig your right regardless I have to take it over, if I decide to keep it trucking..on top of all this I've been dealing with some personal health issues so I'm not in holiday spirit which is unusual because this is my favorite holiday...it shall pass however I feel .Thanks everyone for the uplifting spirits:)

I had this big epiphany and finally figured out what chemistry is worth studying for..It has becoming somewhat interesting, BUT I'm still not doing well. I'm doing well in every other class but that one, of course no one else is doing well in that class either but the two people he consistently get high scores! It's starting to chew me up because I'm not understanding if I'm not capable of this work, there is alway suppose to be this correlation between time put in and grade but it doesn't show that. Am I not suppose to be confident in my abilities to do well, I feel like it's all a big game for admissions, "watch the premedder jump through the hoops"..smh! I study for this class like no one's business..I put little effort in bio, my real love, and pull out with an A. Should I be concerned, am I not studying enough or the correct way, . I'm really trying to assess strategies, because I don't just want to do well..I want to see results! I want to carry studying strategies to med school and excel! I'm slowly starting to lose hope that it's not cut out for me, if I wasn't taking bio, I think my confidence would be shot! Had to vent...but is anyone feeling this way but me :(

that is my experience in a nutshell! :laugh: i did really well in Bio, Orgo, and Physics (and only because my physics class was not as challenging as others, i am sure!), but when it came to gen chem, i just kind of sucked. im actually terrified for the physical sciences on the MCAT for this very reason. i could do the math no problem, but for me, i never really understood what they WANTED from me. i would look at practice problems and be like, "WHAT the heck am i supposed to do with this?!" then when i saw the answer and that to get to the answer, i simply needed to use a very simple formula i was familiar with, i smacked myself on the head. this hasnt changed. :laugh: i received a B- in chem I and chem II but am hoping that since my other pre-req grades are strong, i will be ok.

just like what others have said, some classes are going to be harder to you (and everyone individually of course) than others. i, for example, really really REALLY enjoy orgo. i tutored it in college and did really well in it - i was terrified initially because of all the "wedding out" hype. gen chem, though, nearly killed me! i felt so incompetent in that class.

oh, and there were always like 1 or 2 students in my class that received really high marks and killed the curve. very discouraging to the rest of us!

im really sorry to hear about your D :( can you retake the course at a different school or even just with a different professor? sometimes that makes all the difference in the world. i really think you will also be surprised how much better you grasp the material the second time around.

Well good and bad news I guess. I actually received a C-, still have to take it over but the hit isn't as hard as before. I just wanted to tell everyone, it still sucks but like I said I rather see 4As 1B and 1c- than 1D...not a good look! My ego is not crushed as much either, I'm still feeling like crap but at the same time relieved it's still not a passing grade either so I'm still working on that. Thanks everyone