Anyone entering IMU M1/08?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undecide

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying a long shot. Anyone starting school in IMU this Feb? I would be, from Singapore here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there..
I am going to IMU for M1/08 too and i am from singapore...
may be u can send me ur email add or smth..
we can talk further..

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it easier to get in by applying for the february intake than the august intake?

thanks

Heard that it is harder to get into the August intake. Probably because all the actual A level results and STPM results would be out.

apart from malaysia and sri lanka

is IMu mbbs recognized elsewhere?

actually i dun understand why singaporean will wanna take medical degree from IMU, the last i heard it wasnt recognized in singapore

maybe they take the twinning program

Well, the answer is simple really, it's the most affordable route to be able to practice in Singapore, if you cannot get in medicine in NUS.

By the way, the school offers both the twinning programme (PMS option) and the MBBS (IMU), when you apply to the school, they would ask you which option you are applying for. If you apply for the PMS(partner medical schools) option, you would definitely get a place in one of their PMS. Also if you opt for the PMS option, your degree conferred will not be MBBS (IMU) but will be from the PMS itself (eg. BM (Southampton), MD (Thomas Jefferson), MBBS (Melbourne)).

Hope it clears the air:D

hang on guys

meaning if someone goes in for IMU and ask for PMS,

he/she will be conferred with a MBBS from Uni of Dundee (supposedly he/she chooses Uni of Dundee?

and not the MBBS from IMU?

you guys sure?

if so, i might apply for it

and the PMS degree is recognized in singapore?

anyone can confirm about this?

this is good news

yes and yes.

But nothing is for sure. S'pore might derecognise medical degree from twinning programme 1 day. no 1 knows.

If you're thinking of practicing in Singapore, here's something you might want to take note of:

http://www.smc.gov.sg/html/MungoBlobs/814/791/Registration Requirements for IMG from USA.pdf

It's a new Singapore Medical Council (SMC) circular on twinning programmes. In brief, it's about twinning programmes with the clinical years and final examinations not in the country of origin of the degree (eg. Penang Medical College), will no longer be able to apply for registration. But for twinning programmes with clinical years and final examinations in the country of origin of the degree (ie, IMU), it is still registrable.

Also to note, if you're Singaporean, and have already entered the college prior to the announcement, you will not be penalized and still be considered for registration. So i guess for Singaporeans out there thinking of IMU, even if they decide to change their policy on twinning programmes, think the SMC would still give special considerations if you're already in the programme- you won't be trapped.

undecide

you are not planning to apply to NUS - DUKE since you're from singapore?

you know of any IMU grads working in singapore now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, the answer is simple really, it's the most affordable route to be able to practice in Singapore, if you cannot get in medicine in NUS.

By the way, the school offers both the twinning programme (PMS option) and the MBBS (IMU), when you apply to the school, they would ask you which option you are applying for. If you apply for the PMS(partner medical schools) option, you would definitely get a place in one of their PMS. Also if you opt for the PMS option, your degree conferred will not be MBBS (IMU) but will be from the PMS itself (eg. BM (Southampton), MD (Thomas Jefferson), MBBS (Melbourne)).

Hope it clears the air:D

IIRC, at the end of ur phase 1 u need to take an exam to determine whether or not ur eligible for twinning. that is to say if u dun do as well, the uni overseas may not take u in. i hear the competition is intense for slots overseas

Actually, you're guaranteed a place in one of their Partner Medical Schools, it is clearly stated in the offer of admissions (that is if you apply for it. Go check out the application form). When you are applying, they actually give you two options, one for MBBS (IMU), one for PMS. So if you opt for a PMS, you're definitely assured a place in one of their PMS. All your tests and assessments would just determine which PMS you end up in, not whether you'll be eligible for PMS, though i heard that if you intend to match with an Australian medical school competition for that should be pretty stiff.

eggtart, not applying for Duke-NUS cos' it's a Graduate Entry Program. And i heard that it's really competitive to enter (probably harder than NUS med?) There are only 50 places in Duke-NUS, and it's really for the top of the cohort students. Their curriculum is pretty interesting though, 1 year of medical science, 2 years of clerkship separated by 1 year of research. Yes, i actually managed to get in touch with one who did his residency in US before coming over. He's currently an associate consultant in Singapore.

cool, it looks like they changed alot since the last time i emailed them which was a few yrs ago. last time the twinning program doesnt guarantee a place in overseas uni, u need to score well in phase 1 to get into overseas uni or ur stuck with IMU MBBS degree.

well, if u can go to overseas uni like for example UQ or USyd and do medicine and its recognized in singapore then go for it. i already made my choice and throw in my lot in veterinary science. perhaps when i am done with it i may do graduate medicine...

anyway, who here is from singapore and want to do medicine?

i just registered for the MCAT (required for NUS-DUKE)

it's just that i wanna keep my options open

then i'll see where it leads me at the end of the day

why pregoram is more competitive the twinning program or the local one (IMU MBBS)

I should think that the twinning programme is more competitive, but you can never be too sure.

If you're interested to apply you should call up the school and check out their website. The closing date for the Feb intake 08 is 30 Nov. Think they do take in people with predicted grades (on conditional offers).

undecide

have you sent in your application forms/been to the interview?

if you've been to the interview, can you pls pass me some tips on what they asked, how's it etc etc?

I just got their brochure and Ioticed that all of the UK univ. students graduate with a degree called MB ChB and the australian MBBS is there a difference between these two degrees?

no, it's the same

it's not the name of the degree u r havin, but the country of the Uni u graduate from dat matters.

Let say u graduate from Jefferson (US Partner School School of IMU), u'll haf higher chance 2 work in US, but unlikely to work in UK/Aus/ire

i received an invitation to the interview

all the best.gambatte

to my knowledge anybody who apllies gets an interview is it false?

hey! i ll be joining IMU's med feb intake next year! i m from malaysia!

here's my email! [email protected]

email me, if u wanna talk to me! cos i m pretty excited in starting med school soon! have a good day!

gratz. enjoy IMU :) it's lots of fun. and watchout for orientation week :D
are u heading for PMS or Seremban?

2 more days before my interview
:D

usual questions they asked in interviews

1) describe about yourself

2) what makes a good doctor

3) tell me about your research and voluntary work

4) debate about the long working hours for houseman (IMU is in malaysia and a houseman can go up to 36 hrs or more for work)

5) hypothetical questions

a) you cured a patient. his/her family members wanna reward you by paying you a fully paid holiday trip. take it?

b) you're on a flight. one of the passengers collapsed due to heart attack. you're the only doctor on board. the co pilot tells you, fly to the nearest airport, 2 or hours but horrid weather OR fly to the original destination, 10 hrs but good weather. which route you taking?

4) debate about the long working hours for houseman (IMU is in malaysia and a houseman can go up to 36 hrs or more for work)

b) you're on a flight. one of the passengers collapsed due to heart attack. you're the only doctor on board. the co pilot tells you, fly to the nearest airport, 2 or hours but horrid weather OR fly to the original destination, 10 hrs but good weather. which route you taking?

i got a question

for no. 4 36 hours in a week or in 1 working shift?

for no. b, i am curious as to wat ur answer is....personally i take the 2 hours but horrid weather...

36 hours in one working shift

you can be starting your work at 8am today and finish your work at 8pm tmrw night

hang on..did i get maths right?

yes...it's correct

question

my answer to them was

if that passenger has a heart attack, that means his heart stopped pumping. in 6 minutes, he might be suffering from lack of oxygen to the brain. and in about 10 mins or so, he could be brain dead. the nearest location is 2 hrs. we couldn't really do much even if we arrive in 2 hrs.

plus, for one patient, i'm risking off about few hundred people, including cabin crew, pilots and passengers on board.

it's not worth the risk

36 hours in one working shift

you can be starting your work at 8am today and finish your work at 8pm tmrw night

hang on..did i get maths right?

yes...it's correct

question

my answer to them was

if that passenger has a heart attack, that means his heart stopped pumping. in 6 minutes, he might be suffering from lack of oxygen to the brain. and in about 10 mins or so, he could be brain dead. the nearest location is 2 hrs. we couldn't really do much even if we arrive in 2 hrs.

plus, for one patient, i'm risking off about few hundred people, including cabin crew, pilots and passengers on board.

it's not worth the risk

wao, gud ans. i would b impressed if i'm the interviewer. But i thought commercial airplane would haf difibrillator?

it's not worth the risk

could do CPR to keep him alive for 2 hours :banana:

but then again...its up to the pilot to decide and IIRC SOP for medical emergencies the pilot must fly to the nearest airport...

really?

i don't even know that the airplane does have such facilities

me bad:D

however, they do offered me a place

i received the letter of offer exactly one week from my interview

it's just that i was away from home and the postman couldn't delivered it

congratulations

hey all i got a question. if u are a citizen of US can u do the twinning program if u study in IMU and wanna come to jefferson college for the partner school? I mean is it a guarantee I can come back or not, provided i pass usmle?

khb

i'm now having headache on how to pay my fees

wats the path to being a doctor like in singapore? wat happens after medical school?

omgosh, i ve been absent in this forum for quite a while.

hey eggtart! congrats on the offer! so have you confirmed coming to IMU?

i got the offer exactly one week after my interview too. now currently trying to find ppl who are going there, just to make some new friends. hehe, if you wanna talk, you're welcome.!!

hey keili,
i'm confirmed going to m1/08 course also. =) also trying to find pple going for the same intake.

Hey cheers!

Isn't that what this forum is all about anyways? :)
You can't apply for Jefferson, Memorial, Dalhousie if you're a North American citizen/PR.

did you all here apply for the twinning program or the local one?

i m doing the twinning one.

how about the rest here?

hey cherylsky! my email add is [email protected]. you can add me on msn or simply send me a mail. would love to be friends with you!

i'm gonna ask for a postpone in my admission

need some time to sort out my financial aspects

can you guys pass me your notes when i'm in?:D:D