Anyone ever get old grades changed? :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted36260

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to see if I can get that semester changed to W's, but if not, will the sub 3.5 get me kicked out of schools before anyone even looks at my app?

I doubt it.

And it doesn't matter if you get your grades changed. It is my understanding that for the AMCAS, you are required to list the changed grade as well as the original grade.

Yes. I took an electrical engineering class given by a senile professor who taught the wrong class for the first three weeks. It was supposed to be Basic Circuit Analysis but he gave us the handouts for his course on something that involved a lot of logic gates, andor, xor, and other things that didn't look too much like Ohm's law to me. (I was a Civil Engineering major)

He used to call us up to the blackboard, assign us a problem from the wrong textbook and then harrangue us for not knowing what the hell he was talking about. After the third week he asked for the handouts back, gave us the correct ones and proceeded as if nothing had happened. (And he only found his mistake because several us started complaining to the faculty after the first week.)

I failed the first test and got a "D" for the course which was changed to an "A" after I threatened to go as high up the chain of command and to whatever newspaper I could to blow the lid off of the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt it.

And it doesn't matter if you get your grades changed. It is my understanding that for the AMCAS, you are required to list the changed grade as well as the original grade.

Hrrmmmm, well in that case, plan B - Am I screwed because of the magic 3.5 mark?

I'm a decently rounded applicant (variety of volunteering, shadowing, leadership,clinical) but no research or anything. Another year of the same grades I've been getting and I will be above the 3.5 mark.

Do I wait and see what I do on the MCAT in the spring, and apply if I rock it?
Or do I just plan to apply a May 2008 instead?

I don't want to spend the time and money on the application process if it's a long shot and I need improvement. I know there's always the story about someone with a 3.0 and 25 getting in, but I'd like to know my actual standing.

Some schools allow you to petition to have former grades dropped altogether. My sister's friend did that. She was in college for one semester, left mid-semester and failed everything. She went back to college something like 8 years later and had her first semester grades from 8 years earlier completely erased. I think the rule is you have to wait 5 years or something and then petition to have it done.

Sorry I can't give you more information. It's worth looking into though. If the school erases those grades and takes them off your transcript with no record of them, you don't have to report them on AMCAS because they won't be on your transcript.

Yes, I would make the effort to change the grades, and if you succeed it will make a world of difference to your application. See if you can find a sympathetic dean or registrar and push your case hard.

Hrrmmmm, well in that case, plan B - Am I screwed because of the magic 3.5 mark?

I'm a decently rounded applicant (variety of volunteering, shadowing, leadership,clinical) but no research or anything. Another year of the same grades I've been getting and I will be above the 3.5 mark.

I don't want to spend the time and money on the application process if it's a long shot and I need improvement. I know there's always the story about someone with a 3.0 and 25 getting in, but I'd like to know my actual standing.

it's a good idea to do whatever it takes to make the best application even if you delay applying by a year. getting into a better med school will pay off down the line.

... 3.5 is bad?
I've got a 3.5 and I've already gotten 3 interviews, and I submitted most of my secondaries mid to late sept.

There is hope!

While I have good post-bacc grades and MCAT, I have a sub 3.4 total GPA and have 6 interviews! It will, however, keep you out of some certain schools (particularly many of the top 20).

Good luck everyone, there is forgiveness at many schools.

By the way, I don't think you're screwed either way. If you keep those F's and C's and explain them in your letters of recommendation or in an additional form on the secondaries, you'll still get plenty of attention from med schools(especially with a great MCAT). Yes, some schools will pass you over because of your GPA when they would have taken you more seriously with a 3.7, but I wouldn't say the majority would do that.

I also have W's, F's, C's, on my transcript. I'm doing OK in the process. I just applied to a ton of schools with the expectation that my grades would be a big deal at some schools and a non-factor at others.

ah, ok, SUB 3.5. ic. I still don't think it's that big of a deal. it's still above a 3.0, right? Just make sure you get a good MCAT score.

You have to list the original grades you got on your amcas application.

This is from the amcas application manual...

"[You must list] Courses removed from your transcripts or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies. AMCAS will return your application for failure to list these courses and original grades in your AMCAS application."

You have to list the original grades you got on your amcas application.

This is from the amcas application manual...

"[You must list] Courses removed from your transcripts or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies. AMCAS will return your application for failure to list these courses and original grades in your AMCAS application."

That makes NO sense whatsoever. If the classes/grades aren't on your transcripts, how will they be verified? If this guy gets all the grades turned into W's, why in hell would he ever list them as F's when his school has listed them on his OFFICIAL transcript as W's?

apply when your app is in tiptop shape. your first time is your best shot at getting in. applying twice isn't necessarily looked down upon in TX (from what i've seen) but you wouldn't want to go through all that trouble twice anyway.

Well, these requirements are straight from the AMCAS handbook. If someone is in this situation, he or she should call AMCAS and find out how to list them. It's better to be prepared before you've applied than to get kicked out of med school for lying/omitting information on your app.

Well, these requirements are straight from the AMCAS handbook. If someone is in this situation, he or she should call AMCAS and find out how to list them. It's better to be prepared before you've applied than to get kicked out of med school for lying/omitting information on your app.

If they're changed on your transcript, I wouldn't report them. Unless they're listed as changed on the transcript.

I had three grades changed during college, mostly because the professors messed up with the grading. I also had a C- retroactively changed to a withdraw because the C- was not an accurate grade for my performance (and the professor did not follow her own grading guidelines as detailed on her syllabus) and the petition committee agreed with me.

If your school agrees to change the grades, go with it. A W is more accurate than an F in the OP's situation.

You can retroactive withdraw at my school (not sure about others) It has to be due to some seriously extenuating circumstances which it sounds like you may have.

In addition, I did get a grade changed due to instructor incompetence. The school changed the grade on my transcript with no asterisk and I didn't feel the least bit bad about reporting the changed grade to AMCAS.

I failed the first test and got a "D" for the course which was changed to an "A" after I threatened to go as high up the chain of command and to whatever newspaper I could to blow the lid off of the situation.

Marine-like.. Nice..Semper Fi bro.:thumbup:

Even if you have to report the old grades, it will help out your application if they get changed. Then you run less of a risk of just sounding whiny to the adcoms. If the school officially decides to "agree" with you about what happened with those classes, your explanation will hold more weight. It would to me at least.