1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone fail gross anatomy and match into rads?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by gman33, Dec 9, 2008.

1. gman33

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm guessing that failing gross anatomy would be a big red flag on anyone's application. Just looking for any stories of people who overcame this and how they did it.

Can this be overcome with good step scores and an otherwise good performance?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PeepshowJohnny

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Almost certainly this would be overcome. I mean, if you're failing first year classes the big dog places like a UCSF is probably just going to reject you right off the bat. But with "good" Step 1 and clinical rotations, you're a shoe in at solid mid tier university/community programs. It's an easy justification in someone's head "Didn't take first year seriously, got burned, improved".

4. Terpskins99

Terpskins99 Fear... The Stig
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think anything is possible with strong enough board scores. If you perform well on USMLE, get good grades during core clerkships, obtain stellar letters, do some away electives and maybe even get involved with research... you should be in solid shape for matching someplace for rads.

But I'm curious as to how you intend to respond to interview questions concerning your failure in gross anatomy? Why did you fail? How do you expect to make it through a residency where your sole focus will be to absorb a gargantuan volume of anatomy?

5. gman33

Attending Physician
    Failing the class had more to do with the adjustment to school than the material. I'm a non-trad, non-science major, who was out in the working world for a dozen years before coming back. I only failed by 1 pt, which was due mostly to bombing the first exam.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. schan

schan radRounds.com CoFounder
    Partner Organization 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Often times, failure of a class is due to adjustment. Often times the student is brilliant and very smart. I would say doing well in one class, especially anatomy, is not a predictor of how good of a doctor a med student will make, even how good a radiologist a med student will make.

Cheers.

7. gman33

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the encouraging words.

8. FadingPromise

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

#7 FadingPromise, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  9. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Now that I've seen some of how the other side works, I can say it can matter.

It really dependent on what the program will look at and care about. We've had some strong applications at our program and we're not a high ranking place. Yet we've ignored good applicants because they failed some course(s).

I can't comment on other programs. Its not to discourage you. Apply and try your hardest. Have a good explanation as to why. But know that you might need to go on more interviews than other people to assure a good ranking. Also don't fail any other courses. That'll start kicking up some dirt for sure.