Anyone friends with the one black guy at Northwestern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotSur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
lol. What makes you think that there is only one black guy there? I wouldn't be so quick to assume that because the MSAR stats (or where ever you're getting this stat from) also has a column for % or # that declined to indicate their race/ethnicity. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than one, or at least a few mixed kids.

Just my opinion though...

Members don't see this ad :)
That is, in the class of 2013? I'm vaguely fascinated by his existence.

lol. What makes you think that there is only one black guy there? I wouldn't be so quick to assume that because the MSAR stats (or where ever you're getting this stat from) also has a column for % or # that declined to indicate their race/ethnicity. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than one, or at least a few mixed kids.

Just my opinion though...

One of the cool things about medicine is that when a patient is trying to die in front of you, color goes out of the window. I have been in some meetings (presenting my free radical research in Vancouver, BC) where I was the only black person out of 700 to 800 and it didn't make much difference. I was there to do a job and that was it.

Whether you are the "only" or one of "many", medicine just sweeps you up and carries you along. There is always something to learn and do. Still, it's nice to kick back with my "peeps" and "hang" because we have common roots but in the end, we all have to take care of our own stuff regardles of our ethnicity or the ethnicity of those around us.

My class had one black guy. He's now an orthopedic surgery resident.

There's more than one black guy at Northwestern... I know 2 of them, both in the class of 2010, if I'm not mistaken.

There's more than one black guy at Northwestern... I know 2 of them, both in the class of 2010, if I'm not mistaken.

On an unrelated note, there are 0.0% URMs at Chicago Midwestern.

On an unrelated note, there are 0.0% URMs at Chicago Midwestern.

Many times the information for the MSAR goes in before the final class is set. If a URM student was accepted after the MSAR infor was compiled, they would not have been included. The MSAR has to go to press in a timely manner and thus every piece of info isn't up to the minute.