Anyone from Chicago? Quick questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ag4Life

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for people who know Chicago.

How difficult is it to take public transportation around here? I have an interview at University of Chicago, but my hotel is at McCormick Place near the convention center. Is it safe to take the bus to U of C? I routed it and it takes like 35 minutes, not bad by any means.

How about a bus ride to Rush? Is it pretty safe too?

If not, how much do you think a cab ride will cost to these places? Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question for people who know Chicago.

How difficult is it to take public transportation around here? I have an interview at University of Chicago, but my hotel is at McCormick Place near the convention center. Is it safe to take the bus to U of C? I routed it and it takes like 35 minutes, not bad by any means.

How about a bus ride to Rush? Is it pretty safe too?

If not, how much do you think a cab ride will cost to these places? Thanks for any info.

Dont take the el train to u of c, green line is no place for a nervous interviewee in a suit. You can take the bus, but a cab would be way more worth your while - probably about 20-25 bucks. Take the bus back to your hotel if you wanna save money. Just know you've got about 30-40 blocks of some of the hardest ghetto in the US to ride through, so dont get off on the wrong stop.

I dont think there is a straight shot bus line from McCormick to Rush, but if there is no problem. Also, taking the el from McCormick to Rush (will need to transfer) is perfectly safe -although i think is a bit of a walk to the el stop.

The best reason to take a cab is that it will be 500 million degrees below freezing during interview season.

Dont take the el train to u of c, green line is no place for a nervous interviewee in a suit. You can take the bus, but a cab would be way more worth your while - probably about 20-25 bucks. Take the bus back to your hotel if you wanna save money. Just know you've got about 30-40 blocks of some of the hardest ghetto in the US to ride through, so dont get off on the wrong stop.

I dont think there is a straight shot bus line from McCormick to Rush, but if there is no problem. Also, taking the el from McCormick to Rush (will need to transfer) is perfectly safe -although i think is a bit of a walk to the el stop.

The best reason to take a cab is that it will be 500 million degrees below freezing during interview season.

I agree here... cabs in Chicago are relatively cheap compared to other places, very abundant, very quick, and nice and warm. That said, taking the train from O'Hare to downtown is a good idea if you want to save money as it's mainly business peeps anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
another plug for a cab from mckormick to U of C. the route may not seem like a big deal (I drive thru that area all the time and it's not THAT bad), but the green line stop is still like 10-15 blocks from the hospital. A cab will save you almost infinite amounts of aggravation and anxiety.

don't take green line, take red line. green line is shady (anything that travels back and forth from the south side to the west side all day can't be all that safe), though safer during day. red line is safe enough that far south, especially during the day (but travel in the front car, with conductor). you'll be fine. also red line is faster than the green line. transfer to east-bound bus outside of el stop, don't walk.

the only issue vs. cab is whether you want to save money or time/hassle.

Last edited:
Hey All...
I'm interviewing @ Both UIC and UoC around those dates... wondering if anyone is down to split hotel room on any or all nights.

please PM me if you are interested

When I interviewed, taking the train to UIC and Rush (adjacent to each other) was easy and safe.

To UofC, I'll add my vote to the cab ride.

From airport to downtown, the train is excellent.