Anyone from SUNY Stony Brook around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisygirl

woof
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious what the first year curriculum entails. Hours, classes, workload, etc... I would love your opinions :) - even though I will know what SB is like given I'll be starting there in ~2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody? C'mon there has got to be someone out there :)

Hi Daisy girl:

I am in Stony Brook Undergraduate, and really like to go to its medical school. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Daisygirl I love the name and your puppy and don't take this the wrong way, but you are a girl right? It doesn't say on your profile and well I just didn't know. I assume you are. Hopefully you didn't take that the wrong way.

Originally posted by Centrum
Daisygirl I love the name and your puppy and don't take this the wrong way, but you are a girl right? It doesn't say on your profile and well I just didn't know. I assume you are. Hopefully you didn't take that the wrong way.

Yes, I am a girl. I'm not offended, however, what would make you think otherwise :confused:

No reason really. I just wanted to make sure. :)

Originally posted by Iffy premed
Hi Daisy girl:

I am in Stony Brook Undergraduate, and really like to go to its medical school. Any advice?

I don't have much advice to give, and the advice that I will give you is applicable to all medical schools- Do well in your undergraduate studies (make sure you enjoy what you major in!), do well on the MCAT, and take part in extracurricular activities that will give you a sense of satisfaction while doing them (don't do something just b/c you think med school admissions members would nod in approval).

I'm a recent SB Med grad, doing my intern year also at SB. In terms of med school and hours, the first year the hours were something like lecture in the AM from 10-12, lunch, more lecture then until 3. On MWF, there is anatomy lab for the first half of first year, ther's lecture first from 1-2, then lab until you finish (4-5 ish, depending on how fast you are, how much you read the night before, and how much time you spend looking for the small stuff). For most of first year the hours ar 10-3or 5 (depending on if there is lab). For second year, its 9-3. Its not that different from college ... don't worry, you'll do fine ... enjoy the rest of your summer!:)

hey daisy, I'm here with you as an MS1... so I have no advice to give you that you don't already know :)

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,
I have to figure out who you are! I guess I'll know soon enough on Monday :)

Considering how many people we have both met this past week, I'm willing to bet we have already introduced ourselves to each other and completely forgotten about it. You know, it would have been easier if you posted your name... but that would make things too easy :)

I'll see you on monday

Just like Scutwork has reviews of residencies, AMSA offers reviews of residencies and medical schools.

I think it's an underutilized website for medical students.

Anyway, Stony Brook has a few evaluations which might be helpful for you:

AMSA Med School Evaluator

Good luck. I'm just now finishing my 4th year and remembering all the excitement that you now have.