Anyone gain weight doing there MCat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman132

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in about 4 months I have gained 11 pounds studying for the MCat. (Heaviest I have been since about Spring 2008 and that was a lot of muscle gain). I eat when I'm nervous so I'm only a bit surprised.

Anyone else gain/lose weight studying for this test? I'm gonna need to really watch my diet/Exercise more regularly after this thing. (If I'm lucky enough to get interviews I don't wanna look like a bloated whale)

Members don't see this ad.

I've gained 15 pounds! I know, should be hitting the gym more but between work and studying for this thing, its damn near impossible. Plus, its not like im a lazy ass I used to be a personal trainer and I worked out 4-5 days a week during the regular school year before I graduated. I have a plan/regiment/diet im going to stick to and lose the weight....it shouldn't be a problem.

but year, I know what you mean. I think you just eat more and consume more calories while your studying. Your brian contains 4% of the cells in your entire body, but consumes about 25% glucose you take in. So, I just look at is at were studying really hard :D

I'm the exact opposite. I've been on a cut since may and so I've dropped from about 200 to 188 by lifting hard every other day and really watching my diet :D. All those squats and power cleans really paid off

I'm the exact opposite. I've been on a cut since may and so I've dropped from about 200 to 188 by lifting hard every other day and really watching my diet :D

I think I am in better shape because I can't sleep straight through the night unless I go for a run everyday. Guess sitting in one spot for 8 hours a day studying makes my body un-happy. Gotta get out and move! I am however more depressed than I've ever been in my life. The MCAT is DEPRESSING! Can't wait to get it over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES! I got free gym membership for a month and went everyday for 2 weeks but had to stop because timings between MCAT and studying for another courses didn't work out. That being said, Starbucks is KILLING me. I've never been here so much but still! :/

I lost a couple pounds from not working out and drinking my protein shakes. I think my butt also got flat from sitting on my computer chair for 2 months.

I lost a couple pounds from not working out and drinking my protein shakes. I think my butt also got flat from sitting on my computer chair for 2 months.

I have gotten fat as hell. I think I've gained 10 lbs of fat in the past month. But on the flip side, my lifts have increased a ton from all the excess energy. 455lb deadlift at 175 lbs BW just 2 days ago!

I've stayed fairly constant surprisingly enough. Maybe I've lost like 5ish pounds. I tend to not eat anything when I study because I think it wastes precious time. I already waste enough time as it is surfing the net, so I can't waste any more by eating. :D

omg that's so sad. actually i did gain weight but i can attribute it to being at home instead of in my apartment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have lost about 5-7lbs; however my bball/ ping pong skills spiked since hitting the books.:D

Ah I definitely feel like I've put on a few lbs! My whole life revolved around workout schedules until I graduated this year and started studying for the MCAT. At first it was a nice break to not have to hit the gym everyday and just focus on studying but I started to miss it. I'm a very active person and cannot sit at a desk for hours on end. Now that the MCAT is over; well at least until I get my scores on Tuesday, I'm happily back to my yoga classes.

I used to lift weights religiously... I went from a bodybuilder type to a runner type.

I watch my diet and run a minimum of 1 mile each day.

I'm shadowing, volunteering, working part time... hmm

I'm the exact opposite. With all this studying, I would probably go crazy without exercise.

I have lost about 5-7lbs; however my bball/ ping pong skills spiked since hitting the books.:D

Have to second the pingpong part. Best fun you can get without leaving the house.

I am so fat right now. Like, I can't fit into my jeans anymore. I have to get sweat pants until I lose it within the month (pls let it only be a month!). Anyway, good luck to you all, and eat a salad!

I lost a few pounds studying for the MCAT. I wasn't working out as much, spending the time to make myself extra meals, and drinking coffee which boosts my metabolism quite a bit.

I lost about 12 lbs :( but it wasn't just studying for the MCAT. Wife's having a baby, work was super stressful and on top of that, MCAT studying sucked up my time after work.

First of all, I am bothered by the misuse of the word their vs there in the thread title! Anyways, I have gained a few lbs but it's actually muscle since I try to at least weight lift while studying instead of doing absolutely nothing!

I feel like this is a bad sign for me when I start studying for USMLE hahaha.

Man, I lost count of the chins I've accumulated over the course of four weeks.

I gained weight too. I just think 1 lbs gain equates 1 point higher score than my average (if that's true, I might be able to get higher than 45 :smuggrin:)

Exercise also gives your brain a chance to absorb all the information you are taking in. Whatever exam you are studying for, regular breaks - some of them doing something active - are imperative for success. Every 1.5 hours, take at least 10 minutes. Do not study for more than 8-10 hours a day, and PLEASE, take a day off once in a while!

Best of luck to all!

I've definitely lost weight, and muscle mass. I end up lean as heck because I skip meals, run to release stress, and sleep infrequently. In one semester of 18 credit hours, 50 hour work week, 15 hours volunteering, and a really clingy girlfriend I went from 195lbs to 172lbs. I learned my lesson and started downing mass gainers to meet my caloric needs, LoL. I'm naturally lean and a hard gainer when it comes to muscle, but I'm doing pretty well right now. Steak and veggies when I eat out.

Being this busy is a love-hate thing for me. I love the feeling of having my time consumed with school, EC's, and MCAT studying but hate that I neglect my social obligations and physical well being.

I've lost 6 lbs in the past three weeks (test date Aug 23), so now I'm down to 104 again and subsisting mostly off of protein bars trying get my weight back up before spending the semester abroad doing field research. If only I could be one of those people who ate their feelings. Streesssssssss! So ready for this hell to be over. :help:

I think I've gained about 7 pounds since starting to study for the MCAT :eek: I attribute it to: stress eating, not exercising, and sitting on my butt all day.

When I get back to school, people will be like "Damn... you look... good...?"

:(