saanjana

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Florida
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hey guys, as gross as this sounds....I got a rash from anatomy lab :scared:
i just had my practical yesterday, so was living in the lab last week.... and had dissection this morning....then had class for an hour...came home, took a shower, and noticed a rash in my torso area.....

went to our clinic to get it checked out....the nurse had a good laugh :confused: ....gave me benadryl spray and sent me home

this happen to someone else?

tupac_don

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
Status
saanjana said:
i just had my practical yesterday, so was living in the lab last week.... and had dissection this morning....then had class for an hour...came home, took a shower, and noticed a rash in my torso area.....

went to our clinic to get it checked out....the nurse had a good laugh :confused: ....gave me benadryl spray and sent me home

this happen to someone else?

You have 1 month to live, spend it wisely.

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
  1. Attending Physician
some get it from nitrile, some from latex, some from embalming fluid. Try to eliminate each one as a possible cause.

About the Ads

No Fear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 1999
Visit site
Status
I became bug-eyed during my semester of gross anatomy. I developed rashes around my eyes and on my face, I think from the constant fumes of leaning over the cadaver.......man I don't miss those days at all!! :eek:

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2002
MN
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Rohen is a good alternative for studyins sans 1000 hours in the lab...just fyi.

saanjana

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Florida
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
thanks for the Rohen suggestion.....but with my inability to go 2D to 3D, I'd fail my practical like no other if i stopped going to lab....the rash is getting better...but i hope it wasn't from some bug bites!

latex is ruled out for sure....the rash is nowhere near my hands...more around the waist....how do i know if its from the nitrile or embalming fluid...actually...what are those? :confused:

urgh! i hate this....

tigershark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Status
I had a rash running up both arms throughout anatomy, had to be some chemical they used, I dont have any problems with latex or nitrile gloves.

EM Junkie

SDN Donor
Silver Donor
Apr 1, 2003
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Nitrile is the chemical typically used to make "latex-free gloves". They are often purple or blue in color.

A girl in our class had developed a latex allergy in gross lab. I don't know all the details, but she had to use a full "haz-mat suit" with a respirator for the rest of the lab, in addition to the entire lab being made "latex-free".

JAMMAN

Chief Exceutive Officer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2004
Status
  1. Attending Physician
saanjana said:

...took a shower, and noticed a rash in my torso area.....

The rash is caused by rubbing the affected area on the cadavers :D

Furrball

Faking sincerity daily
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Pacific NW
Status
I had a rash once... oh did I say that out loud? :D If your schhol is anything like mine, then no expense is spared for student safety. I mean they spend nothing.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads