Anyone get any feedback from Wake Forest general surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cw05

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has received e-mail/letter/call from PD/chair/resident at Wake Forest's general surgery program. I'm trying to figure out where to place them in my ROL. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I am sort of in the same dilemma about the placement of Wake Forest as well. Why, did you receive something from Wake??

No, nothing. Just curious if this is how they treat everyone or if it indicative of their opinion of my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
remember that some programs won't contact any applicants. Frankly it is unprofessional to do so, and such contact implies that they are trying to sway your ranking of them.

cw05 said:
Just curious if anyone has received e-mail/letter/call from PD/chair/resident at Wake Forest's general surgery program. I'm trying to figure out where to place them in my ROL. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

The position of a program on your rank list should not be influenced by the program's opinion of you. That's the whole point of the match. Just rank each program based on your opinion of them.

Flattering communication from programs to applicants is hardly unethical, and does not violate the rules of the match. Inevitably some programs will give warm and fuzzy feedback to applicants in an effort to woo applicants and get applicants to rank them high on their rank lists.

Regarding communication from programs to applicants... I have only one piece of advice. The only communciation from a program that I would take to mean as an indication of serious interest is a handwritten note from the PD or chairman. E-mails, and form letters can be sent with little effort to huge numbers of applicants. Just as most applicants send the increasingly obligatory thank you note, programs may also send the obligatory thank you form letter, or thank you e-mail. IMHO these communiques should be considered courtesy notes, and not indications of high interest. A hand written letter on the other hand (from the chair or PD) indicates serious interest in an applicant since a hand written letter represents an investment of time, which, quite frankly chairman, and PDs have little of.

Good luck.