Anyone get into med school with the bare minimum prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butiwuvu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So schools seem to want two semesters of gen chem, organic chem, physics and biology. Some want english and math.

By getting the bare minimum prerequisites for a school done, will that make the adcoms look at me like I'm some kind of slacker? Does doing more chemistry and physics and biology look better, everything else being equal?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So schools seem to want two semesters of gen chem, organic chem, physics and biology. Some want english and math.

By getting the bare minimum prerequisites for a school done, will that make the adcoms look at me like I'm some kind of slacker? Does doing more chemistry and physics and biology look better, everything else being equal?
:confused:

No, it does not matter.

really now? i think it does matter. The bare minimum reqs arn't much, just your basic science classes. im under the impression that they want to see a lot of upper level science classes like biochem, human anatomy and physiology, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
it does not matter. They are made into prerequisites for a reason. I only took the basic year of bio, chem, organic, physics, math and english

This is question is kinda related to the various threads asking, "what should my major be?"

It's tough to take upper level sciences if you're a non-science major.

My vote is that it doesn't matter so much. Non-science majors seem to do just fine in the application process.

really now? i think it does matter. The bare minimum reqs arn't much, just your basic science classes. im under the impression that they want to see a lot of upper level science classes like biochem, human anatomy and physiology, etc

But wouldn't that undermine the claim that an applicant's major does not matter in the eyes of the medical schools? I mean, those courses that you mention are usually for biology majors. Wouldn't that mean they have an advantage over non-biology majors? I think not; otherwise, the med schools would make them pre-requisites for everyone if those are the things they are looking for.