Anyone get into SGU w/ a 21 on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuing MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 21 on my MCAT and my cumulative undergrad GPA is 3.60 (science GPA is 3.52). I've done research and volunteer work. Do you think I will be accepted into SGU? Will SGU accept students with a 21 on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone out there been accepted into SGU medical school with a 21 on their MCAT?

<a href="http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/10067" target="_blank">http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/10067</a>

You can post on this SGU site. Sorry I can't answer your questions. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Pursuing MD:
•Will SGU accept students with a 21 on the MCAT?•••••SGU will accept anyone with 21K in the BANK.

I don't know the answer to your question directly, pursuing, but the fact is that SGU has some relatively high standards of admission when compared to some of the other caribbean schools.
I'm writing mainly to address the assanine comment made by lilic...Do you know anything about SGU or are you just one of the many trolls on this website who fill their otherwise useless, non-productive days with stupid drivel posted on websites? People like pursuing MD are seeking answers to legitimate questions about a direction they may want to take in their lives. Please do all of us a favor and find something else to occupy your idle mind.

(bump)

This post seemed relevant in light of recent discussion here...

-Skip

I would say that you would have a decent chance at being accepted but it would depend on the strength of the overall applicant pool at the time.

If you have gone through with the application, how has it gone thus far?

If you have a 3.6 gpa, why don't you just retake the mcat and get 28+ This would ensure your acceptance to SGU and possibly some US schools.

Originally posted by berkeleyboy
If you have a 3.6 gpa, why don't you just retake the mcat and get 28+ This would ensure your acceptance to SGU and possibly some US schools.

Good advice...

Let me echo the last two posters. You haven't exhausted your opportunities to improve your application. SGU has a good rep, and is a good choice, but seriously think about re-taking the MCAT.

You will not have a problem getting into SGU- I know people who have gotten in with less on their MCAT. The important thing is that your GPA is strong, as well as other parts of your application. SGU knows that pre-meds are much more than just a score on one exam. Don't worry- you will get in.

Pleeeeease, A 21 MCAT will get you into half a dozen DO schools. Of course it will get you into SGU!! Sorry. I agree with Lilic. Let's not pretend that it is difficult to get into SGU or any other Island school. This is where you go if you can't get into the US. Pure and simple.

It DOES not mean you won't be a good doctor though. I know a few SGU grads ( I am a nurse) that I would trust with my mother's life. Being a good doctor is not just about the stats.

It just means, for whatever reason, you were not competative in the US .

i think that a few of you make these exagerated comments about sgu and don't really know anything about it. its like this i-got-this-one-friend-thing and for some reason some of you think that your friend, or friend of a friend represents the whole applicant pool and is the definitive model of a student who applies and goes to the school.

a 21 mcat . . . is definitely not a shoe-in at sgu.

granted it may be possible, but they have a lot of other applicants that have higher scores and similar life experiences. within reason, i am also sure they are always looking to boost their overall numbers a bit as well.

with a 21 mcat, one should definitely retake it. obviously some one with a 3.6 gpa knows how to study and excel, so i would think that they have a good chance to show improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by marleybfour
Let's not pretend that it is difficult to get into SGU or any other Island school. This is where you go if you can't get into the US. Pure and simple.

The ratio is about 8.5 - 1 for applicants versus spots at SGU. The stats are available, but you have to search.

As you go farther down the list, it gets easier and easier to get in.

In fact, for rural Canadian and American schools, it's easier to get in than into SGU, if you are a state resident. The University of Kansas gets more applications from California residents than Kansas residents.

Also - "competitive" - when there are more applicants than spots, you can't say that, because someone didn't get in, they're not competitive. There are a number of people in med school every year that weren't competitive, that got a place. It's voodoo science.

and will be starting in Jan. 2003.

21 MCAT / 2.99 GPA from a very competitive UC (Univ of CALIF)
Major: Biology
Great LORs
1 yr physical therapy aide
1 1/2 yrs EMT

I was only offered MPH at SGU.

On my way to Ross!!

See you guys in clinicals in 2 yrs!!

Originally posted by mdjd
DO schools are where you go if you don't get into SGU or Ross.

Uh oh... now you've done it... :eek: :laugh: ...

DO vs. Caribbean MD... ROUND 3!

(hot girl in bikini parading around)

This process does not only involve stats...other things count as well...certain programs might want you, others may not...so a 21 MCAT may get you into a foreign medical school and not to a DO school or vice versa. You just never know!!!

3.60 undergrad gpa
3.52 science pga
21 mcat

man, take the mcat again!!! You have pretty good gpa's!!

But if you are in the fast lane to get an MD degree and not wait 1 more year, then go to Ross, but again, take the mcat again, you have the gpa to enter a US MD school.

Originally posted by geddos
21 MCAT / 2.99 GPA from a very competitive UC (Univ of CALIF)
Major: Biology
Great LORs
1 yr physical therapy aide
1 1/2 yrs EMT

I was only offered MPH at SGU.

On my way to Ross!!

See you guys in clinicals in 2 yrs!!

wow, you didn't get accepted? well, their MPH program is so bull****. did you apply for the january session? because those stats look good for the january admission, maybe not for the usual august admission. how is Ross? People really fail like they say or has the school really worked hard to improve that?

"wow, you didn't get accepted? well, their MPH program is so bull****. did you apply for the january session? because those stats look good for the january admission, maybe not for the usual august admission. how is Ross? People really fail like they say or has the school really worked hard to improve that?"

Yes, I had applied for the Jan '03 semester. Ross is about what I had expected, I did a lot of research into the school and island of Dominica. I'm grateful for the opportunity to pursue my dream. For info from current students at Ross, try: planetross.tripod.com/
Ross changed their grading system as of Sept. '03. No more grading on the "curve". They now follow the US model. Word is that 25% of the Sept '03 1st semester class received 4.0 GPA and students are not as "cut throat" because we're not competing against each other. There are also transfers from SGU and AUC here.

My friend got into Saba her stats were 2.1GPA and 21 MCAT

A good friend of mine got into the Jan '03 class with a GPA: 3.3 and a MCAT of 23. He originally applied for August '03 class but they told him he could interview for Jan class. He interviewed on Jan. 2 got accepted the very next day. Pretty lucky.

Originally posted by WonderBoy
A good friend of mine got into the Jan '03 class with a GPA: 3.3 and a MCAT of 23. He originally applied for August '03 class but they told him he could interview for Jan class. He interviewed on Jan. 2 got accepted the very next day. Pretty lucky.

this is for SGU, right? There are so many different stories on the stats for people accepted to SGU. I am thinking about SGU just because the low attrition rate will help me mentally.

Everyone says the Jan. class is less competitive, but still remains to be seen exactly how less competitive........in terms of gpa/mcat.

Originally posted by dvdrv31
this is for SGU, right? There are so many different stories on the stats for people accepted to SGU. I am thinking about SGU just because the low attrition rate will help me mentally.

Everyone says the Jan. class is less competitive, but still remains to be seen exactly how less competitive........in terms of gpa/mcat.

Yup its for SGU. Since MCAT scores were low they asked him to join the AEP program. It just involves mandatory attendance of review sessions held my upper classmen. Also the Jan '03 class graduates with the august '03. So in May of '07.

I thought the January '03 class would catch up to the August 02 class during clinicals and graduate with them?

what do you do for an extra semester then? More time to study for Step 1?