ANYONE going into a peds residency???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kiddiedoc

Anyone?? I just want to know what to put on my PDA. If you are not going into peds, maybe you know the answer. (I am interested in the programs that docs/residents actually have, use and like).
Also while I have your attention (IF I do), how are you planning to juggle the no-white-coat issue and the true need for pockets??What bags or whatevers offer an alternative?
THANK YOU in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick reply:

HHM = available @ http://www.handheldmed.com
B = both palm and WinCE

Peds-specific stuff for PDA's (I'm sure there's more, but this is what I'm immediately aware of):
5 minute peds clinical consults - B - (HHM)
growthcharts - Palm - www.statcoder.com
kidometer - Palm - www.kidometer.com

General but helpful in peds:
redbook - B - (HHM)
physician's drug handbook - B - (HHM)
epocrates - Palm
qID - Palm
medscape - Palm
harrisons - B - (HHM)
merck - B - (HHM)

(basically, plan on buying the whole HHM library, 'cuz you won't regret it!)

re: no white coat (I'm married to a third-year peds resident, so I can help a little here):
You deal with the no-pocket issue by leaving your things in your staff room. You generally don't need your pockets full of books while in the patient's room and just leave them in the staff room. If you need equipment in the room (e.g. otoscope), you carry it with you or you have a set in the clinic room. Carrying a PDA allows you to carry drug books and other books with you while not having many pockets!

My wife uses a WinCE device in peds, is happy with it, and is reluctant to use Palms because of the differences between the devices. So, don't think that just 'cuz you're interested in peds you'll have to get a Palm.

Thank you TRGD!! Reply much appreciated.
Don't mean to sound as clueless as I am here, but WINce????This is what exactly??

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, sometimes I lapse into jargon. WinCE = Windows CE. PocketPC = WindowsCE v3.0. When people use WinCE, they usually are indicating pre-PocketPC. HTH.

Thanks again TRGD, but I still don't know what that is. Is that like a PDA? Is it a sub for Palm and Visor and company?? I was just planning to get a Palm m500 and end it. I don't know enough to choose anything else. This is just what most ppl seem to have (Palms that is, not necessarily m500s). Anyway, it would take too long to bring me into the world of modern technology, esp computer type things, so I would not bother if I were you. Thanks for the software info though!
-kid

I see...now I know where you are coming from. WindowsCE/PocketPC devices are similar to PalmOS devices in many respects, but they have some important differences including PocketPC's are heavier on the multimedia side with nicer screens (opinion!). I also consider the WinCE/PoPC's to be more like computers and less like organizers, because they have more of a desktop Windows feel to them and that environment is more intuitive for me.

Take a look at this thread for more info: http://www.studentdoctor.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003472&p=

HTH

I work in a Children's Hospital and with the Peds residents all the time, so thought I might add to the pockets dilemma. A lot of the residents use fanny packs -- yes, they are not the most attractive accessory, but they do the job of carrying your extra stuff very well. And if you are on a stressful service like PICU or something, whatever you need is with you all the time, rather than having to run over to the staff room or something. Just some advice from my experience.

Thanks Lily and TRGD! Sorry, but haven't checked this post in a couple of days so thanks are belated. Appreciated!
-KD

I don't know anything about this topic

I just want to take my posting count to 100. I can go to bed now. I think I'm developing an SDN addiction problem. I need help. Good night.