- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties
- Plastic Surgery
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anyone going through the plastics match this year?
Started by BlondeDocteur
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
M
mountainman123
I will be.... and I am terrified
Hooray! Good luck! If you feel like posting any pearls, by all means...
It's sucky though since it's *such* a small world. 200 or so US applicants. I bet you're the only one from UNM and I'm the only one at Columbia (and the only one with waist-length blonde hair... the screen name ain't for vanity's sake alone)... anything I say on this site re: interview experience will be painfully, immediately de-anonymized.
What made you decide to definitively go for plastics?
For me, I had a conversion experience on my July PRS sub-i (which I signed up for simply to learn some good sewing skills). I couldn't get over the incredible variety, but more than anything I love the active problem-solving every procedure entailed. I loved that my individual judgments (sense of the aesthetic, analysis, etc) mattered, much as they did in psych and neuro and IM, but that those judgments were within the context of the acuity and interventionalism of surgery. Most importantly, though, I learned that my deep interest in congenital pathology would be well-served in plastics, and that repairing those anomalies was quite possibly the most rewarding thing I'd yet encountered in medicine. That was enough to make me throw caution to the wind and sign up for this crazy match... well, next year at least.
It's sucky though since it's *such* a small world. 200 or so US applicants. I bet you're the only one from UNM and I'm the only one at Columbia (and the only one with waist-length blonde hair... the screen name ain't for vanity's sake alone)... anything I say on this site re: interview experience will be painfully, immediately de-anonymized.
What made you decide to definitively go for plastics?
For me, I had a conversion experience on my July PRS sub-i (which I signed up for simply to learn some good sewing skills). I couldn't get over the incredible variety, but more than anything I love the active problem-solving every procedure entailed. I loved that my individual judgments (sense of the aesthetic, analysis, etc) mattered, much as they did in psych and neuro and IM, but that those judgments were within the context of the acuity and interventionalism of surgery. Most importantly, though, I learned that my deep interest in congenital pathology would be well-served in plastics, and that repairing those anomalies was quite possibly the most rewarding thing I'd yet encountered in medicine. That was enough to make me throw caution to the wind and sign up for this crazy match... well, next year at least.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh yea baby, PRS 2009. Applied and ready to roll.
Will be out on the trail with you guys.
Will be out on the trail with you guys.
they're coming out of the woodwork....
So what made you go for plastics, Sug?
So what made you go for plastics, Sug?
I didn't go through the integrated/combined match but I know a tiny bit of something about the plastics world. You can always PM me if you have questions about anything. Its probably better not to say to much on a public board about any program in particular.
Don't trust much of the stuff that gets posted on this (or plastics2002.com) about different programs or stats. There is a lot of crap being put out online by people who are trying to scare people off.
And the neurotic seeking some self-assurance.
Ah, and now you begin to find out about the lunatics in plastic surgery...some of the applicants when I was interviewing were seriously f***ing crazy. I don't know if plasticseducation.com is back up, but there were some threads on that site that were either hilarious or depressing, I could never really decide.
Also Blonde, you should be proud of where you went to undergrad! Show some SEC pride instead of just calling it State U.
Also Blonde, you should be proud of where you went to undergrad! Show some SEC pride instead of just calling it State U.
I would, Dre, I would-- but then I'd be too damn googleable.
Ah, and now you begin to find out about the lunatics in plastic surgery...some of the applicants when I was interviewing were seriously f***ing crazy..
So do these nut jobs all wear sleeveless scrubs, or is sleeveless whitecoats now.😀
I've heard a big part of the interview process is timed pushups...
I've heard a big part of the interview process is timed pushups...
I've also heard that it's about how many bicep curls you can do before going into the O.R.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Echo that, ajt. Wow are there some nasty people out there.
And it appears we have the same interest in pediatric plastics!
And it appears we have the same interest in pediatric plastics!
2
225557
I will be going through the match this year and I am excited. Should be an interesting time going through all these interviews.
I've also heard that it's about how many bicep curls you can do before going into the O.R.
Nope, that's ortho. We judge you on exactly how much mousse/hair gel it takes you before you can make it literally impossible for a scrub cap to fit on your head.
It goes without saying that you've got to spend 20 mins in the tanning bed prior to every case as well. And I do roll with a sleeveless white coat custom-tailored to show off my butt.
Good luck, ajt... I for one would be *very* happy if you'd describe the interviewing process (not in too great of detail, natch... don't want to blow your cover or anything).
I've been getting my ass handed to me the last couple of months...how is the world of anonymous future plastic surgeons?
Never thought I'd hear about someone holding Dre down!
Sick people are holding me down. I've been q2 on a really busy critical care service and as much as I like operating, I don't like having people try to die on me in the middle of the night very much. And watching people slowly die over a couple of weeks or a month isn't pleasant either--just sucks the life out of you after a while. I'll have to get back on plastics before I get back to normal.
Are you 2nd year, Dre? Just keep going on. My co-resident and I talked about the spacesuit quite a bit that year, especially when we were on Trauma ICU. Just remember, once you're done with all of that $hit, you're Plastics forever. Keep going, brother.
Sick people are holding me down. I've been q2 on a really busy critical care service and as much as I like operating, I don't like having people try to die on me in the middle of the night very much. And watching people slowly die over a couple of weeks or a month isn't pleasant either--just sucks the life out of you after a while. I'll have to get back on plastics before I get back to normal.
quoted for truth.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K