Anyone going to Georgetown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, I'm going to Georgetown. I wasn't thrilled with the student's attitudes or the facilities. But that was just my initial impression. I didn't love Mrs. Sullivan, but I like Georgetown's philosophy and program. I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, but I'd like to hear from some other applicants about their impressions.

Members don't see this ad.

They had some of the worst financial problems to face an institution recently. They seem to be on the right track to fixing them, but had to sacrifice a huge amount of their autonomy as an institution. I didn't very much like how they integrated their MD and PhD programs or the diversity of research. It seems to be an immensely expensive area to live in, most MD/PhD students were actually taking out loans! The school seems to have a very high opinion of themselves, perhaps above the levels justified by their rankings and NIH funding levels. I mean they are a few miles from the NIH and NOT MSTP funded! I was amazed at that and it speaks volumes about the program. I'm sorry to bash a school, but I really didn't enjoy my interviews there and probably won't attend. I agree that the overall philosophy is nice. They do integrate Catholicism/religion in general quite well.

i personally LOVED georgetown.
i won't end up going there even if i got in (i'm still waiting to hear) but i think their philosophy (cura personalis) is one of the most unique and great ones out there.

i have no complains about the studets i met. they seemed nice and relatively happy.

and D.C. is a cool city. the center of our government!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same questions for y'all! I LOVED Georgetown and totally thought that it was MY school. But I'm also really interested in Northwestern also, and wanted to hear if you had any imput about these two. Vs. Einstein and UCI too?

I have been living in DC for the past two years and I must say that I LOVE the city. Locationwise, Georgetown is totally the way to go. Plus, I also really liked the cura personalis, hands-on learning, the alternative medicine classes in accupuncture, and the student teaching in the fourth year. But, I have been back to the campus a couple of times since interviewing and I can tell you why the school was not the best fit for me. The students were a lot more refined or polished than I am. I am not saying they are snobby or anything, but they were just different from me. I hope that does not sound bad. There are cheaper areas in the city to live and there is a free shuttle bus to campus that runs hourly. As far as the financial state of the school, they seem to be adjusting well. Georgetown Hospital used to be very empty and the patient pool was quite limited to the wealthy neighbors, but now they are pulling in patients from different areas of the city and are much busier. The teaching at the school seems amazing and the students seem very happy. I hope this helps. :)

Hi, I interviewed late February and I haven't heard back yet. Any idea when I can expect a reply? Thx!

I'm sorry- can't help..I'm not really in with how they run the admissions process. I do remember them saying something like they meet every other week on Thursday, so when I interviewed at the end of Feb, our appls will go to review the 3rd Thursday of March. I just heard from them yesterday so you should hear soon I think. Re: the students.. funny you should mention, Pipper, I had that same impression. And like you, not that it was a bad impression.. just very different, and possibly in a nice way. I'm from CA and very laid back so I thought perhaps it was a east coast thing. Anyway, thanks for the info.

I'm from the East Coast and I really thought that I'd would NOT fit in at Georgetown. They all dress up for class--not just like wear nice clothes, but they're wearing designer clothes! It was kind of scary.

hey there:)

actually, it looks like i'm going to Gtown as of now too:) Imm: i felt the same way you did-- i wonder if we interviewed on the same day?

anyways, i contacted some first years i knew there, and i told them that i had gotten a bad impression. they all LOVED the place, and wanted to know who the terrible student tour guides were that gave us such a bad view. they all love their class mates, and have time for partying/watching tv/working out... i was truly encouraged and now im even looking forward to it.

about the financial situation, everyone who talks about this should see other posts, and realize that this is just an up-and-coming trend for medical schools.

about the dressing: oddly enough, there is a thing in the student handbook (you can find it online) that talks about the dress code. but they dont call it a dress code. however, i think the idea is that you are a representative of the school in a city that tends to dress conservatively and classy. its really more of a suggestion so that you fit in. at least that's how i interpretted it.

hawkeyes asked about northwestern: i also know that there is another post on this topic. i did research this summer at northwestern medical school, and although it isnt exactly the medical school experience (or course), IMHO i felt that the class was totally comprised of gunners. the class doesnt seem to be very tight. i'm not really sure that they are "happy." of course this was just my personal opinion.

good luck with your decision!

princess,

That's reassuring that you talked to some first years. One of my good friends from college is a second year there and is majorly stressed out all the time and is very unhealthy. I really hope all of the students are not like that.

I can't believe that is in the Student Handbook!

Imm:

yeah i though it was wierd about it being in the handbook too!

as far as second years go, i think they really do have a lot of work-- but from what i gather, this is the same anywhere. you know they are doing pathology, etc. my friends said that many of the second years skip out on class a lot b/c its more worth their time just to study by themselves... to each his own i guess:)

take care:)

INSANE ain't it? That the student handbook would flat out talk about the sophistication of the city and encourage students to "fit in." Though I really liked how it seemed to truly care for it's students, and that they would even talk about how important it is (also in the handbook) to take good care of yourselves and be balanced. I've heard that the faculty/staff really take care of you well there. Balance is important to me, and I was trying to find that characteristic in my potential school. But it's very hard to tell just by looking at the one or few students who lead your tour. For example... my tour guide at one school was so terrible that I left the school with the worst feeling of I-hope-I-never-see-you-again. She just really embarrassed herself I thought, and embarrassed the applicants.

I interviewed at Georgetown then Pitt back in Nov. These schools were as opposite as could be for northeastern private schools. G-town certainly was attractive from the beginning with cura personalis, interning 4th years, international rotations and the 3-day/week 24 hour shifts during surgery rotation. (yes, I would actually look forward to pushing myself to those limits :) )
Georgetown had a very 'professional' feel through the classic architecture, dressed-up students and demeanor of Ms Sullivan and my faculty interview. There was a level of importance, which can be easily understood. They are afterall, in the most 'important' city in the most important country in the world. For residency, or even a possible internship in the W.H.O. or health policy at the capitol, this would be fine. FOr some, this would be even MORE desirable in medical school. I personally am looking for something else in a medical school. It's the last years of my youth in some ways and I really want to have a great time working hard, if that makes sense.

I totally felt that Pitt was THE antonym of the school when I arrived the following day. Having a 1st year MS interview me that counted for 50% of the rating, and then a clinical professor from Penn->Columbia->Harvard place his shoes on the desk and offer me to do the same was the casual and comforting environment I was looking for! But this isn't a pro-Pitt thread, so I'll end that here.

of my 500+ posts, this will only be the second time I mention something blatantly negative about a school. Last time it cost me an acceptance, so hopefully this one won't be as bad :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it's interesting that the dress code of sorts is written in the handbook.
it doesn't have to be a negative point, though...

it's important for physicians to look professional and well put together. people love to say "looks don't matter" but you don't want to look like a sloth.

i know one med school who threatened to kick a student out unless they took out a facial piercing. (i can't remember if it was an eye brow ring or a nose ring). i personally don't know if i agree with that; it's a bit more extreme than having a dress code but it's the same basic premise, which i think is good.

I certainly believe in being and looking professional, but I really don't see myself at a place like that. I'm very down to earth and I'd like my medical school to fit that personality too. I mean, I realize that at every school, students are going to try to look nice and professional. I'm all for that. I just really hesitate to go somewhere that they stipulate that as one of the guidelines. It should be YOUR choice and not the school's. Come on, we all got this far by being professionals.
As far as having a piercing, I don't think a school should be able to dictate that kind of thing!!!

I don't think that just because some other schools are having financial troubles should excuse Georgetown for handling their own finances so exceedingly poorly. MANY medical schools are completely stable financially and continue to own their own hospitals.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•I don't think that just because some other schools are having financial troubles should excuse Georgetown for handling their own finances so exceedingly poorly. MANY medical schools are completely stable financially and continue to own their own hospitals.•••••Georgetown's hospital is going to break even this year and turn a profit next year.

USeF-

Just wondering- how did saying something negative about a school on SDN cost you an acceptance? I always feel pretty free to say whatever I really think on this website- it is disturbing to think that I shouldn't. Please tell!

When I interviewed there, I liked the school and the area, but I didn't feel like the students had that much fun. Couldn't feel much "hanging out" going on. I didn't really like the fact that the med students seemed dispersed around the city - unlike NYU where almost everyone is in the same building. But I am still waiting to hear from Gtown, and I really hope I get in. It's quite frustrating because people on this forum who interviewed around my time have heard either acceptances or highly select - so maybe that leaves me with a reject? But but but - my interviewer liked me!!!! argh....

Doesn't anyone find it alarming that Georgetown has dropped off the list? Why? I mean, I realize that I shouldn't make my decision based on rankings, but there has to be a reason why it is falling.

To me I think the residency directors ranking is more important because I'm not too interested in research anyways. I don't know to view that now on the new rankings though. But I would suppose that an institution that doesn't perform stem cell research might be at a disadvantage in terms of research money? Just a guess, but I do like the fact that they're the first institution to get a grant for Eastern/Alternative Medicine. :)

Could it be that Georgetown dropped off the list because they've rejected so many SDNers early?

Georgetown's hospital is going to be profitable because they SOLD it! Clearly it always had the potential of being profitable, it was just mismanaged by the school administration.